Got sworn in, got a slice of cold weather training hell.

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
In the event of SHTF, who supplies you guys with beans, band-aids and bullets? Are you expected to possess your own weapons?

In the event of SHTF we'll likely be working squarely alongside the MANG and thus their resources will become ours( they're finally starting to give us some funding too, so hopefiully that means we can get some gear).

You aren't required to possess your own weapons but you know most of us do :)

In emergency we'll get what they issue us, probably direct from a NG armory.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Keep focus on your assigned task but never loose sight of your surroundings.
Have fun and enjoy it, it will be an experience that you will never forget.
Have you learned all of those "special" marching tunes yet? :ultracool
HooooRahhhh! :uhyeah:

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keep focus on your assigned task but never loose sight of your surroundings.
Have fun and enjoy it, it will be an experience that you will never forget.
Have you learned all of those "special" marching tunes yet? :ultracool
HooooRahhhh! :uhyeah:

"Mass State Gua-ard

Patch on my shoul-der

Pick up your weapon and fol-low me

I am the migh-ty In-fan-try....."

:D

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Boot Camp, have you attend one yet?

To directly answer your questions: yes, we have basic training, but it is extremely limited when compared with federal service. Our basic soldier school is 3 days long. We basically learn important customs (such as when/how to salute), how to do basic drill, and chain of command. We can't be sent to federal training, by the MASG, as the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, which provides for our existence, doesn't allow us to be deployed out of the state.

We do not have MOS schools. The MASG is very small, right now, and isn't really big enough for MOSes, so we're pretty much all generalists (though all positions get OJT). People receive TDA positions based on their existing skill sets - we're all volunteers, we all work for the flag, and we all have civilian jobs and education that are heavily relied upon. However, if there is something specific that an individual wants to do (like be a clerk), the officers make every effort to give them that opportunity - based on seniority and qualifications.

All NCOs and NCO candidates have attended training from the RTI at Camp Edwards, over the course of 2 days (it was customized for the MASG). Our NCO corp has a bunch of former federal service NCOs, including our CSM, SGM and 1SG.

I don't know the details of officer training, though our officer corp is 90% or more former federal military officers.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you,
You answer explained everything, I now have a very clear understanding of your unit. Enjoy you time in.

Latest Discussions