East Coast WMAA Fall Camp ( Wilmington DE )

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cebu West
Camp time has arrived. My first order of business is picking up Datu Jornales then off to meet up with Datu Tim and Rich Parsons.
Then it's off to Delaware to have some fun.
Looking foreword to seeing everyone. If anyone has any questions after this afternoon call my cell #
610-306-9308

SAL

You guys are going to have a great camp for sure! I wish you all well....:asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just got in...got a -GigaTon- of pics n stuff....camp was incredible.
More later, once I get some sleep. Sal and Chad put on a hell of an event.

:)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Camp was a success from my point of view.

Great Hosts, and great students and participants.

Wonderful instruction by
Datu Hartman
GM De Leon
Guro Manglinong
and myself as well as a great guest GM Jornalis who camp out and worked with many a student and did a demo.

I got to meet TC and Noah who traveled up with GM De Leon, as well as lots of other new and old friends.

More Later
(* Thank You *)

:asian:

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings-

I’ve just got back from the WMAA East Coast Fall Camp and I’m pleased to say it was a great success! We had approximately 30 participants coming as far away as Bloomington Indiana. First I would like to thank all of the instructors for sharing their knowledge with the camp participants. I would like to give a special thanks to GM Bong Jornales for coming do to our event and volunteering his time to help out.

I would also like to thank Sal and Chad for making this event happen. I’m very pleased with the results and I’m looking forward to future events.

Respectfully,
Datu Tim Hartman
World Modern Arnis Alliance

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Outstanding camp, folks.

Kudos to Chad and Sal for making everyone feel at home. I appreciated their attention to accomodations and hospitality.

There was something for everybody...both beginners and advanced. The instructors were personable and approachable, and ready to help anyone.

For those that didn't make it...you missed out. If they have another camp next year, try and make it. We had a great time.

Regards,

Steve Scott
Bloomington, Indiana

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
Outstanding camp, folks.

Kudos to Chad and Sal for making everyone feel at home. I appreciated their attention to accomodations and hospitality.

There was something for everybody...both beginners and advanced. The instructors were personable and approachable, and ready to help anyone.

For those that didn't make it...you missed out. If they have another camp next year, try and make it. We had a great time.

Regards,

Steve Scott
Bloomington, Indiana

Welcome aboard Steve!

Glad to see you made it back safe and sound.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
Thanks, Rich. The drive went quicker, this time. No rain. Very clear, beautiful weather.

Thanks for all your help at the seminar.

SCS

Anytime, just ask !

:cool: :asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Camp pic (Better ones will be up on websites soon)

Attachments

• $decamp.jpg
    $decamp.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 214

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
on the floor

(Please give me some time to sort through everything... I've got -3- CDs packed full of pics and video to sort through. It was one Hell of a camp! :)

Attachments

• $decamp2.jpg
    $decamp2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 208

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GM De Leon & Guro Manglinong take the floor...

Attachments

• $decamp3.jpg
    $decamp3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 207

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Video and still shot footage will be available on wmarnis.com, cebuwest.com and martialtalk.com after this coming weekend.

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It was great pleasure for me to finally have met all of you all great martial artists. We all had fun and a great time. We thank you so much for having us. I hope everyone had a great time with the old Modern Arnis techniques like the sinawali de cadena and the basic sparring techniques. There is a lot to learn but we need to start somewhere.

I especially thank Datu Tim Hartman for having me there together with my students. I also thank my student, Noah Jones and his dad, TC Jones for assisting me. By the way, Noah did an EXCELLENT job.

I hope that we all get to see each other again sometime soon.

Take care everyone.

Sincerely,
Guro Anding de Leon
President and Founder
International Arnis de Leon Federation - IADLF
Garland Martial Arts Center - School/IADLF headquarters
107-B N. First Street
Garland, Texas 75040
Tel: 972/494-1663
E-mail: [email protected]

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
GM de Leon,

Thanks for teaching...it was great learning from you.

And you're right...Noah did an EXCELLENT job. That can't be understated. He was paired up with me on Saturday so as to show me what I missed on Friday. He got me up to speed quickly. That in itself is an accomplishment, given my diminished intellect.

For those of you that don't know Noah, this young man is about fourteen or fifteen. When demonstrating with GM de Leon, he ROCKED. I couldn't believe how good he was. He raised the bar for all of us.

I talked to T.C. over drinks on Friday night and got some of his insights into parenting and teaching. Clearly Noah's skill is a reflection of T.C.'s standards. That said, T.C. had good material to work with. My compliments to both of them.

Again, a great line up of instructors.

Regards,

Steve Scott

Cebu West

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
For me the WMAA Delaware Fall Camp saw me wear several different hats. Camp host, student and teacher. So I got to see it from different perspectives.
Hosting can be a logistical nightmare but I'm happy to say that everything went off without a hitch. Helping to make this possible was Chad and his students from the University of Penn and Bruce Benson. I can't say enough about the Penn kids. They were energetic and willing to help at a moments notice. This energy flowed into their training.
Also helping keep things on track was the friendly and professional attitude of all the instructors. Even the airlines cooperated.

As the student, I had the host's advantage of getting to know the instructors on a personal level and to get an inside look at what they presented at their sessions. These guys were just great.
GM Anding DeLeon worked some single stick drills off sinawali. He also covered stick inserts and takedowns with the stick and empty hand. His lock flow and transition from one move to the next was effortless. One of his close in tapi-tapi drills will be added to the Cebu West training very soon.
As Chad had stated before we did not see all that the instructors taught due to our hosting duties but our students were given the task of getting it and bringing it back to our respective schools for review.
Rich Parsons worked off the six count drill and presented many variations and take offs from the base drill. This included the knife as well as the live hand. The added stick shots in the drill were great. Rich also aided Datu Hartman on a Balintawak set on Sunday.

Guro Rick Manglinong worked on double stick drills from his Kombatan, with variations on single and double sinawali. These were excellent in helping with hand coordination and helped to get the stupid left hand to work better in conjunction with the right. Rick's sets were informative and fun and had everybody trying to keep up. He also worked some empty hand. What he started with on Friday he built on during his other sessions.

Datu Tim was his usual technical as well as charming self. He covered target acquisition on double action abaniko and obstruction removal on his first set and at my request did a great set on lock flow. He finished up on Sunday with some excellent Balintawak techniques and was assisted by Rich Prasons who also roamed the floor helping people the moves.

All during the camp the instructors that weren't teaching were on the floor helping the students. They all made a great team. Datu Tim also kept the atmosphere fun during his sessions with witty remarks and tacky jokes. I think this is required at the Datu level. Tim also acted as uke for the other instructors and had fun doing it. He is never too high up there to be one of the guys.

Our special guest who attended was GM Bong Jornales (also a Modern Arnis Datu). GM Jornales performed an awesome weapons demonstration and also spent lots of time on the mats helping the students. I wish to thank him for his guidance and support.

Our banquet was great as well and the food was good and plentiful. The Sumo wrestling that followed the banquet was a blast. Seeing some of these people in those suits was worth going to the camp. I think some blackmail photos are in order.

I'd like to thank Rich Parsons for befriending my 12 year old son Gregory who assisted me with the camp. Rich, do you baby-sit? A gentile giant who stick fights. What a combo!

My last but not least perspective is that of a teacher. Two of my students tested for and earned their black belts. They had their formal test on the Thursday night before camp and then were told they would be evaluated on Friday and Saturday as well. They did everything I asked of them especially in the last year when I turned up the intensity and started tightening the screws. Getting a black belt in the WMAA is no easy task, but when you do, you wear it with pride knowing you earned it. So to Mark Berk and Bill Gorman, Congratulations, and if you think I turned up the intensity before, hold on.
Vince Cichocki, Chad's student also received his Lakan Isa and Susan Smith received her 2nd brown. Congratulations to them both. They are talented and great people.

This camp was a ride I will not soon forget.

Sal Todaro (Cebu West-WMAA) and the proud parent of two new baby black belts

B

Black Tornado

Hosting can be a logistical nightmare but I'm happy to say that everything went off without a hitch. Helping to make this possible was Chad and his students from the University of Penn and Bruce Benson. I can't say enough about the Penn kids. They were energetic and willing to help at a moments notice. This energy flowed into their training.

Sal,

I don't think any of the "Penn kids" would object if I speak for all of them, saying thanks for your kind words and a great event. That goes for everyone who worked to put this together.

-Tony

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
. . .
I'd like to thank Rich Parsons for befriending my 12 year old son Gregory who assisted me with the camp. Rich, do you baby-sit? A gentile giant who stick fights. What a combo!

Baby Sit? Nope, they require that you be much more mature then Twelve to baby sit for a twelve year old ;)

Shhhh! You just ruined my mean exterior look and reputation (* Just check out the post by Rocky. I had everyone afraid. Now you have done it. :eek:

Seriously,

Thank You for your kind words. I enjoyed my time with Gregory and also Noah Jones. Both of these young men were a pleasure for me to talk to and be around.

I also enjoyed the Penn Students, Having bags carried for me was wierd ;). Thank you all.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Camp pics now up on cebuwest.com

I like the pictures :)

Including the sumo suits ;)

Anymore being posted?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got a ton to sort through. I'll be posting another batch at wmarnis.com and some will be used in the camp review in the magazine. If my time permits, I'll add another batch to the cebuwest site as well. :)

Latest Discussions