Earth-like planet found!

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the Article

• NEW: Planet could conceivably house life outside our solar system
• NEW: Discovery a "significant step" on way to finding possible life in universe
• NEW: Planet, dubbed 581 c, orbits red dwarf star Gliese 581
• NEW: Newly found planet full of liquid water, scientist believes

Only problem is its 120 Trillion miles away. I think I'll wait to pack my bags :) Pretty slick though! If we ever get over that pesky speed of light thing, I think I'll take a visit :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the Article

Only problem is its 120 Trillion miles away. I think I'll wait to pack my bags :) Pretty slick though! If we ever get over that pesky speed of light thing, I think I'll take a visit :)
This is why I don't believe in UFOs. Sure people see things in the sky they can't readily explain, but why would someone travel trillions of light years just to sneak around? Chuck Mistler (my favorite religious nut) makes a good point. Its is just as likely UFO's are demons from hell as aliens from another planet.
Sean

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is why I don't believe in UFOs. Sure people see things in the sky they can't readily explain, but why would someone travel trillions of light years just to sneak around?Sean
For the same reason we'd build a spy plane that goes 6 kajillion mph.:)

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is why I don't believe in UFOs. Sure people see things in the sky they can't readily explain, but why would someone travel trillions of light years just to sneak around? Chuck Mistler (my favorite religious nut) makes a good point. Its is just as likely UFO's are demons from hell as aliens from another planet.
Sean

I have my own theory on UFO's based on information that I will not post in public. PM me if you want to hear a cool story...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this the moment I should put on my foil hat? :p

I heard about that on the news this morning. I think that is totally awesome. IMO, in this vast universe, I find it hard to believe we are alone.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
UFOs aside, they are also saying the gravity may be greater there so we would all weigh more... not bad... no more jump kicks and more taiji.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
UFOs aside, they are also saying the gravity may be greater there so we would all weigh more... not bad... no more jump kicks and more taiji.

More like "lets lay on the ground very, very flat"do

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup, that is just what I need... to weigh 1.6 times more than I do now. :uhoh:

On the other hand... one could train there then come back here and they would be able to fly through the air! :p

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have my own theory on UFO's based on information that I will not post in public. PM me if you want to hear a cool story...

That's such a 'teaser' :D. I may just have to invest in a PM ...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is why I don't believe in UFOs. Sure people see things in the sky they can't readily explain, but why would someone travel trillions of light years just to sneak around?

Maybe there's something particularly fascinating about Billy Bob's bunghole that compels them to travel millions of light years to stick something up it :shrug:

In all seriousness, if there are intelligent advanced civilizations out there whom we would recognize or who would recognize us as alive and sentient they've probably got the equivalent of a big sign up above the Earth. It would read something like: "Warning! Contains primitive, violent natives who haven't learned not to foul their own nests and who will kill you if you give them half a chance. By entering High Earth Orbit you forfeit your life insurance. Remains will not be returned to your next of kin." I wouldn't trust us with advanced spacefaring technology and the ability to harness suns any more than I'd trust Hamadryas Baboons with nuclear weapons.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sean

Interesting that you mention demons. Many scholars of UFO phenomena have theorised that the UFo has taken the place of the angel is unusual sightings. you know bright lights, strange sensations, wierd messages.

Regardless, this discovery, if there does turn out to be lots of water, is super important and very, very cool.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regardless, this discovery, if there does turn out to be lots of water, is super important and very, very cool.
I think so :) I was chatting with a local friend today, and we need to get more concerned about local exporation before we start dreaming too much about interstellar stuff :)

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think so :) I was chatting with a local friend today, and we need to get more concerned about local exporation before we start dreaming too much about interstellar stuff :)

I agree. I would like to see some very in-depth and detailed studies done of the planets and moons of the Solar system. Then an expansion of study into the star systems within, say, twenty lightyears with the same level of detail.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. I would like to see some very in-depth and detailed studies done of the planets and moons of the Solar system. Then an expansion of study into the star systems within, say, twenty lightyears with the same level of detail.

Even our oceans have a lot in store for us! :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting that you mention demons. Many scholars of UFO phenomena have theorised that the UFo has taken the place of the angel is unusual sightings. you know bright lights, strange sensations, wierd messages.

I just watched a documentary explaining that the story of Sodom and Gomora isn't so far fetched either. In the area where these cities existed there are giant pocket of gas that blow up in balls of fire during earthquakes. You can actually walk around and pick up pieces of brimstone laying around, which can explain the occassional balls of flame people saw in the sky. They were just bad places to put a city; more interesting, is that fact that the whole Dead Sea area used to be quite tropical, and anyone living there plants included had six percent more oxygen than anywhere else on earth. Its not hard to imagine that Eden was simply a reference to better climes in the exact same area everyone was already living. God, I love PBS.:ultracool
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or our own oceans, caves, or other hidden areas.
Sean

Latest Discussions