Chuck Norris blames Virginia tech shootings on "our graphic slasher media"

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's the article he wrote.

In it he partially blames society for the Virginia Tech slayings by blaming our "Graphic Slasher Media"...
meanwhile.......
go ahead and rent Chuck's movies:
"Missing in Action"
"The Hitman"
and
"Forced Vengeance"

or any of the others. :uhyeah:

The irony can be pretty......ironic.
;)

Your Brother
John

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bleah! I couldn't get through the entire article, too much conservative propaganda.
Chuck's hypocrisy is pretty funny, though.

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know. I can see a big difference between Norris' movies and stuff like SAW (1-3), Hostel and others. Now I don't necessarily agree that these movies contributed to the massacre. But I do worry that our society and young people are becoming so jaded they get their jollys from torture.

Brian Jones

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's the article he wrote.

In it he partially blames society for the Virginia Tech slayings by blaming our "Graphic Slasher Media"...
meanwhile.......
go ahead and rent Chuck's movies:
"Missing in Action"
"The Hitman"
and
"Forced Vengeance"

I'm going to have to agree, but also disagree with Chuck, as sacreligious as it may sound.

The Virginia Tech slayings were committed by a sentient being, who decided to follow the path of evil, and commit murder. Holding the movies accountable for the actions of a madman is no different than trying to hold the spoon manufacturers for making certain racist "The View" talk show hosts rather obese. In each of those cases, someone decided to do the wrong thing, using their free will to make those choices. It's not as if someone planted subliminal messages in Cho's head, or a spoon laden with highly caloric food jumped up and fed O'Donnell against her will.

However, he does make an interesting point, that through religion, there are going to be some people who will "find themselves" and that the teachings of God can help make better men out of those individuals. No guarantees, of course, but there's really no harm done in following the principles of the Ten Commandments as the Bible describes.

If the teachings of Christ can help instill a moral value in some people that need it badly, then I see no harm in it, if the process is voluntary. Some people will find strength in the religion. Some have been able to swear off alcohol, sober up, and get their lives back in order.

I know that some folks probably scoff at the notion of someone being "born-again Christian," and that some of those scoffers are probably eagerly awaiting the downfall that will occur in some of the reformed folks, so they can gleefully gloat at a small number of failures, but if such a thing can do more to redeem people than any amount of incarcerated rehabilitation ever did, then there has to be some real value in what Chuck is stating.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While there may be a difference between the Horror flicks such as Saw, Nightmare on Elm St., etc., people are getting shot, blown up, their necks broken, etc. in his movies as well. Different title, same effect...people are still being killed.

I'm sorry, but I still don't buy it when folks say that stuff. I grew up watching the coyote fall off a cliff and get blown up and come back to life, Friday the 13th and movies of the like, and I havent gone on a rampage at any school I went to. I listened to the 80s music, such as Ozzy, Motley Crue, etc., all of which people have claimed had suicidal messages in the lyrics and I have not once tried to kill myself.

Fact of the matter is, is this kid had a problem that went undetected. Its a case of passing the buck.

Just my .02

Mike

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bleah! I couldn't get through the entire article, too much conservative propaganda.
Chuck's hypocrisy is pretty funny, though.

You would much rather read liberal propoganda? :uhyeah:

Yeah, Chuck may be a little hypocritical here but when you compare a Chuck Norris movie to some of the current stuff, especially some of the video games, there may be a smidgen of truth in there.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fact of the matter is, is this kid had a problem that went undetected. Its a case of passing the buck.

Worse, it was actually a problem that WAS detected but not properly addressed.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm tired of movies /TV/ Music being blamed for murder. What did they blame it on before these things were invented? Or did murder not exist then?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

You're correct, my mistake. Now that you mention that, I do recall hearing something about that. :)

Mike

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well I'll tell you what I think about Chuck Norris - I think if one person had imitated Chuck Norris the number of victims might be a lot less. I am surprised people are not talking about Martial Arts and self defense - it's all "gun control" "concealed carry" etc.

if one old old man had the guts to stand in the way so others could escape, wasn't there one 20-something guy (or girl) here who had the guts (and youthful vigor) to do something more than run for their life?

Some a-hole tries to line me up so he can shoot me execution style in the back, he's going to have to shoot me in the FRONT because I'm not going to let it go down like that. He's going to have to earn the right to shoot me.

Not one martial artist among the 30+ dead? or at least not one who thought their training might have some purpose? If one person tried to kick the gunman's head in don't you think he would have gotten some help?

It reminds me of an old saying "We train in the hopes that one day we might make a difference".

Did nobody try to resist him? He wasn't a trained shooter, it probably took him 10 seconds to re-load or more...

I don't know for sure becasue I've never been in that situation, but I don't think I could have jumped out a window knowing that there were helpless people still there waiting to be shot.

We were at the pizza joint with my 7yr old daughter and the photos he sent to NBC were being shown. I look over at her and she is staring at the TV with a scared look on her face. She doesn't know anything about what happened, maybe a vague idea that some bad guy hurt some people. I look at what she is seeing, he is pointing the gun directly into the camera. I whisper to her 'Gun 1' which is the technique she has learned for a gun ponted at your face. She immediately smiled and nodded, now she could cope with something scary and confusing by using her training. Next they showed him holding a knife over his head. "look Dad, 'knife 2'". That's my girl.

"What do you do if somebody has a gun at your school?" I ask. "Run outside and run far away" she says. "Good - what if you are trapped and can't get away?" "I'll kick his butt" she says. "That's my girl".

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
AMEN!

How could they have been so naive enough to think that "well he's only a danger to himself but not to others..." Sigh... of course now with this tragedy anyone else with the same (type) problems of the shooter will get prompt, complete and undivided attention... won't they???
DavidCC said:
Not one martial artist among the 30+ dead? or at least not one who thought their training might have some purpose? If one person tried to kick the gunman's head in don't you think he would have gotten some help?
Probably if someone had attempted that. It would've been akin to 9/11's Flight 93 passengers rushing the terrorist on the plane.

DavidCC said:
It reminds me of an old saying "We train in the hopes that one day we might make a difference".
Sure, if we can guarantee that we can overcome that one big inhibitor... fear of dying.
DavidCC said:
Did nobody try to resist him? He wasn't a trained shooter, it probably took him 10 seconds to re-load or more...
Think for a moment David... you're sitting in your classroom and then some guy comes in and starts shooting... you're now finding yourself on the floor because that (should) be your first reaction... hit the floor. Same with everyone else. How many of those students and faculity were trained martial artists and how many have been trained to charge a gunman while under live fire and how many of them might have been combat trained under the same conditions. I'm thinking none of them.
It's right to feel angry that it seems that no-one did ANYTHING except cower on the floor and wait to be shot or jumped out the window to save their own necks. But I (and I believe nobody else) can say for 100% certainty that we would've done anything at all.
DavidCC said:
I don't know for sure becasue I've never been in that situation, but I don't think I could have jumped out a window knowing that there were helpless people still there waiting to be shot.
As I've said in an earlier post, nobody knows what (exactly) they'll do in any given situation.

Oh and just one more thing... if Norris was really concerned about how media portrayals of violence has/is affecting our young people then he needs to stop creating shows like Walker: Texas Ranger ... eh?

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
You would much rather read liberal propoganda? :uhyeah:

Of course! :D

Yeah, Chuck may be a little hypocritical here but when you compare a Chuck Norris movie to some of the current stuff, especially some of the video games, there may be a smidgen of truth in there.

Blaming popular culture for the actions of a phycopath is just a way to pacify the masses. If you have something external (like movies) to blame, you feel like you have more control over the situation (ban the movies!), and thus the world is a little less scarry. Case in point: Columbine. Do you remember that the media reported that the killers were "loners"? Years after the fact, students from Columbine had something completely different to say. The killers from Columbine weren't loners at all, they had lots of friends. We were told that these kids were loners so that we would have the false sense of security in thinking that only those "wierd" kids could do something like that.
In my parent's neighborhood a few years back, a mentally ill teenaged boy got a hold of a gun and shot the town sherrif in the face. It was not highly publicized (relatively speaking), and what do you know, no one blamed popular culture. If it had made national news, the good bet is that people would be talking about the possible connection to video games, TV, music, yada, yada, yada.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Working overtime so can't take more than a few moments to reply ...

My memories may be blurred with age but weren't the action-hero movies of our youth (i.e. twenty to thirty years ago) precisely that ... movies about heroes. Yes they dispensed violence and mayhem, it is true but it was at least dressed up with the moral justification that it was being imposed upon those who had brought it upon themselves by immoral choices/actions they took.

The modern horror/slasher genre imposes torture and gruesome death upon innocents largely (as best as I can make out).

Rose coloured glasses I may wear but that's one rather big difference.

{Now I can go back to work safe in the knowledge that at least I am safe from sudden roundhouse kick retribution ... }.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course! :D

Blaming popular culture for the actions of a phycopath is just a way to pacify the masses. If you have something external (like movies) to blame, you feel like you have more control over the situation (ban the movies!), and thus the world is a little less scarry. Case in point: Columbine. Do you remember that the media reported that the killers were "loners"? Years after the fact, students from Columbine had something completely different to say. The killers from Columbine weren't loners at all, they had lots of friends. We were told that these kids were loners so that we would have the false sense of security in thinking that only those "wierd" kids could do something like that.
In my parent's neighborhood a few years back, a mentally ill teenaged boy got a hold of a gun and shot the town sherrif in the face. It was not highly publicized (relatively speaking), and what do you know, no one blamed popular culture. If it had made national news, the good bet is that people would be talking about the possible connection to video games, TV, music, yada, yada, yada.
As I recall, there was an attack on KMFDM after columbine. What the hell?
Sean

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm tired of movies /TV/ Music being blamed for murder. What did they blame it on before these things were invented? Or did murder not exist then?

They blamed it on demonic possesion, among other things.
People have and always will need a scapegoat so that they can feel more secure.

As I recall, there was an attack on KMFDM after columbine. What the hell?

Sean

Hey, KMFDM is the drug against war, you know :D

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
My memories may be blurred with age but weren't the action-hero movies of our youth (i.e. twenty to thirty years ago) precisely that ... movies about heroes. Yes they dispensed violence and mayhem, it is true but it was at least dressed up with the moral justification that it was being imposed upon those who had brought it upon themselves by immoral choices/actions they took.

The modern horror/slasher genre imposes torture and gruesome death upon innocents largely (as best as I can make out).

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was released in 1974. So much for the "good old days" theory.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think there is a bit of truth but I'm worried that the bigger truth isn't being said.

Cho was mentally ill and this looks like an attempt to brush mental illness under the carpet, to not view it as a real disorder or to purport that ir can only be cured by prayer and conservative social change.

Prayer and faith can be an important part of life.

However when a Christian is in a car accident and injurs their wrist, they typically call for the paramedics, not the Christian Science practitioners. They believe that they will be taken to a hospital, not a church, and be seen by an orthopaedist and not a pastor. They expect to be taken for x-rays, not Holy Communion.

But...a person can live without a wrist or a hand. They cannot, however, live without a brain. It really saddens me to see that the most important organ in the body is given less medical respect than an ingrown toenail.

I believe prayer and devotion should be part of a faithful person's life...and I believe that questioning violent movies is a fair point to ponder. But dismissing proper medical treatment of mental issues is not the solution to the tragedy.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think there is a bit of truth but I'm worried that the bigger truth isn't being said.

Cho was mentally ill and this looks like an attempt to brush mental illness under the carpet, to not view it as a real disorder or to purport that ir can only be cured by prayer and conservative social change.

Prayer and faith can be an important part of life.

However when a Christian is in a car accident and injurs their wrist, they typically call for the paramedics, not the Christian Science practitioners. They believe that they will be taken to a hospital, not a church, and be seen by an orthopaedist and not a pastor. They expect to be taken for x-rays, not Holy Communion.

But...a person can live without a wrist or a hand. They cannot, however, live without a brain. It really saddens me to see that the most important organ in the body is given less medical respect than an ingrown toenail.

I believe prayer and devotion should be part of a faithful person's life...and I believe that questioning violent movies is a fair point to ponder. But dismissing proper medical treatment of mental issues is not the solution to the tragedy.

I agree. There is still such a stigma attached to mental illness that it tends to be ignored, not treated.

Latest Discussions