Early Taekwondo instuctional video

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lol it has historic value, but is the same material completely removed from reality that their Japanese karate instructors taught them and that has very little to do with real applied karate. I imagine if the taekwondo pioneers thought more critically about practicality in that time they could've come up with really great stuff for taekwondo (and they probably would train hard enough to yield good fruits).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this old video, I really enjoyed it! Ohhh boy what a wonderful thing.

Manny

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol it has historic value, but is the same material completely removed from reality that their Japanese karate instructors taught them and that has very little to do with real applied karate. I imagine if the taekwondo pioneers thought more critically about practicality in that time they could've come up with really great stuff for taekwondo (and they probably would train hard enough to yield good fruits).
It seems TKD is becoming 2 sides: sport and demos. It seems TKD is about competing in tournaments, and kicking multiple boards or pads while doing flips and twists.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems TKD is becoming 2 sides: sport and demos. It seems TKD is about competing in tournaments, and kicking multiple boards or pads while doing flips and twists.

Some times I feel this way too.

Sad but true.

Manny

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I'd say that's a rather one-dimensional view. What about self defence training, drilling of basic techniques, poomsae training, reaction training, extreme fitness, conditioning, meditation, spirituality, character building... All alive and well in my book.

Sport competitions and demos are the parts that have mass appeal and are used to market the art, but there's much more to it than that.

Gnarlie

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Found this video on YouTube from 1968.

Enjoy

i see one of my pet peeves from TKD practice goes back at least that far - "blocks" which don't connect with the punching arm until after the punching arm is already completely extended. You'd think that the problem with that would be fairly obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
i see one of my pet peeves from TKD practice goes back at least that far - "blocks" which don't connect with the punching arm until after the punching arm is already completely extended. You'd think that the problem with that would be fairly obvious.

That maybe just for the purpose of displaying the full extension of both the block and the punch, that's not usually the way it goes in practice, in sparring for example. It's no use blocking the punch after it has already hit you.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That maybe just for the purpose of displaying the full extension of both the block and the punch, that's not usually the way it goes in practice, in sparring for example. It's no use blocking the punch after it has already hit you.

Nor if it's not going to hit you.

Gnarlie

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sport competitions and demos are the parts that have mass appeal and are used to market the art, but there's much more to it than that.
Agreed. I'm just thinking about what people "ooh" and "aah" about. For instance, in my view this video is not taekwondo but gymnastics; however, they are all wearing black belts, so who am I to say they are wrong?

OP
R

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm just thinking about what people "ooh" and "aah" about. For instance, in my view this video is not taekwondo but gymnastics; however, they are all wearing black belts, so who am I to say they are wrong?

I don't remember the last time I faced an opponent who was 12 feet tall.

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Can I add a pet peeve too?

Full extension of the arm in front punches, leading to less than optimal elbow position, poor bone alignment, loss of power, risk of wrist injury when punching something and risk of elbow hyperextension when punching air.

The video is interesting and valuable, nevertheless, and the above "mistake" (IMO) is widespread in the Karate-based arts, not specific to TKD.

Cheers,

Simon

Latest Discussions