Dumb or Bad Ideas in the Martial Arts

I would ask them what they teach and where. Most academic Professors will easily talk about their teaching career.

Now if I ask them what they teach as a Professor and they tell me "I teach kung fu" or "I teach Tae Kwon Do" I would tell simply I have never heard of a Professor of Kung Fu or Tae Kwon Do. Hopefully about that time my cell phone would go off so I could leave to answer it.

What if they don't teach college anymore but reatained the nickname for a martial arts likeness in roles? Why were you calling?

If they don't teach college anymore, it is conceivable they retain the address among former students, colleagues, and people who know or knew them in their capacity as a college instructor.
However, any college professor, retired or otherwise, should not refer to themselves or let themselves be referred to as "Professor" in their capacity as a martial arts instructor. Martial arts have their own forms of address irregardless of someone's station in life. Now, it is possible for a professor to be referred to by that title as a term of courteous endearment by fellow martial arts students or black belts, but not in an official sense. More of a nickname.

Martial arts actor wannabes who consistantly make B and C grade straight-to-video films that noone but the most hardcore MA film junkies or their fans will ever see. They apparently are so eager to be in a film they don't care what it looks like or makes them look like. If you want to break into films and be taken seriously, study acting and learn how to fight well on screen. There is a reason why many, if not most, martial artists are not taken seriously in films: They can't act.
Bruce Lee had the right idea as far as making films: he refused to settle for second best or being a Shaw Brothers grunt. He did it on his terms.
My Instructor used to say this about wanting to be in a film: If you want me to act like Charles Bronson, pay me like Charles Bronson. Do not sell yourself short.

Bad idea in martial arts: Martial Artists who make up facts around their personal opinions, and end up making themselves look silly.

Dictionary definition of "Professor:"

1 : one that professes , avows, or declares
2 a : a faculty member of the highest academic rank at an institution of higher education b : a teacher at a university, college, or sometimes secondary school c : one that teaches or professes special knowledge of an art, sport, or occupation requiring skill

If one only recognizes definition 2a or 2b, then the Professor title could not be used in martial arts. But, since most of us live in reality where you can't just pick and chose definitions for words, and expect everyone else to follow suit, when you look at ALL the definitions, the title can be used in martial arts.

And, the title is and has been used in martial arts by some very respectible and worthy instructors.

So, MichiganTKD, YOU are wrong. Touch of Death is correct.

Paul

Tulisan said:
Bad idea in martial arts: Martial Artists who make up facts around their personal opinions, and end up making themselves look silly.

2 a : a faculty member of the highest academic rank at an institution of higher education b : a teacher at a university, college, or sometimes secondary school c : one that teaches or professes special knowledge of an art, sport, or occupation requiring skill

If one only recognizes definition 2a or 2b, then the Professor title could not be used in martial arts. But, since most of us live in reality where you can't just pick and chose definitions for words, and expect everyone else to follow suit, when you look at ALL the definitions, the title can be used in martial arts.

And, the title is and has been used in martial arts by some very respectible and worthy instructors.

Paul

In some ways, I like title professor better then master. The former denotes a teacher with a real depth of knowledge. The latter denotes something totally different.

BTW - my juijutsu teacher is a professor.

No, I am NOTwrong. Perhaps I should have clarified a little what I meant. Some styles might use the term Professor. However, Oriental-based martial arts do not use the term Professor. They use Sa Bum Nim, Kwan Jang Nim, Sensei, Hanshi, Shihan, Sifu etc. "Professor" is a westernized, and incorrect, approximation of these terms. Now, if you are a Soke wannabe, you can call yourself anything you want. It would most likely be wrong anyway.
I am guilty of non-clarification. I am not guilty of being incorrect.

By Tulisan's definition, I could call myself a "Professor of Tae Kwon Do". My dad was a college Instructor and I am acquainted with many Professors, both through him and in the course of my education. I would not disservice the word by applying it to Tae Kwon Do or martial arts. I respect real Professors too much.

I've never quite understood what's dishonorable about, "Mr.," and, "Ms.," and "teacher," but then I don't understand why this sort of trivia worries people so much anyway.

As always: ceremonial occasions, great. Addressing 80-year-old japanese masters of aikido, fine. Everyday use among Americans, silly. Nice analogy from the military: lieutenant comes into the barracks, somebody yells, "Officer on deck," everybody snaps to attention and then salutes, then they drop the whole issue. Nice analogy from Buddhist studies: many zendos make funny remarks about the stage when Westerners lose the articles out of their sentences, and start speaking cryptically, so they sound more spiritual.

Can we also discuss the ridiculous, "Oss," again?

I personally think white sparring gear is a bad idea. It gets dirty in about 8 seconds.

Tulisan said:

If one only recognizes definition 2a or 2b, then the Professor title could not be used in martial arts.
Defn. 1 is just grammar. One who acts is an actor, one who bets is a bettor, one who professes is a professor...with a lower case 'p'.

Defns. 2a and 2b are the usual: They refer to a Professor, one who holds a certain academic rank. Defn. 2c allows for the usage sometimes seen in the martial arts, as with Prof. Wally Jay.

But what's more often done is not to apply Defn. 2c to a senior martial artist, but rather to misapply Defn. 2a by making Professor a rank or title in a martial arts system or school. That's the problem--taking the rank and title of Professor.

I say, when Professors start being called Senior Grandmasters, Associate Professors start being called Hanshi, and Assistant Professors start being called Shihan, call me again.

Dumb AND Bad idea ; Americans using the term "Soke" when they develop their own style of martial art.
Gee, I'm amazed no one thought of this one yet :idunno:

Tulisan said:

Paul
The funny thing with dictionary definitions i that they do not apply to contextual meanings, only to recorded usages. For more information, as an English professor -- no, a real one an an accredited university.

Outside of Hawaiian lineages (where it's a standing tradition), using "professor" to denote a martial arts teacher is silly and invites fraudulent claims. The danger of fraud is real. I can think of at least two instances of deceptove claims stemming directly from aping the titles and format of accredited universities.

Better "Soke," than "Doctor/Professor," in my opinion. A fake "soke-dai" can't be used to cheat professional circles the way a "degree" issued by "faculty" can. Again, Hawaii is the exception.

Latest Discussions

Back