drills in Krav Maga

juszczec

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks

I'm just curious about the types of drills done in Krav Maga. How do they differ from drills in other MA?

I know in many MA, function follows form. Up to a point thats ok, because the theory goes that proper form will give you better function. Since we live in peaceful times, function following form has been allowed to reach levels that can only be described as silly.

How do Krav Maga trainers balance the need to do a technique right (efficiently use the body) vs the need to make it work?

Mark

dok

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It depends on your instructor. Generally speaking, I think, Krav is not as strict on form as the art from which it borrowed. The emphasis is more on drilling the basic motion over and over again - while attention is paid not to loose the most basic elements.

as an example, when learning striking the instructor demonstrates proper technique for a jab & cross, but only corrects students during the drills if they fail to a) rotate their body/hips into the punch or b) strike with their top two knuckles.

or when learning some groundwork, whereas a BJJ armbar may involve 5 "steps", the Krav version is condensed down to 3.

IMO, Krav could stand to be a little more strict on proper technique - but the primary goal of the system is not to turn you into a professional fighter. Depending on how your instructor runs the class, it may not be a bad idea to (in time) seek out basic boxing, muay thai, and / or BJJ to complement the self-defense focus of Krav.