double #12

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I get the idea of your "slant block" now. I was mistaken in associating it with a wing. It sounds more like what we call a "shield" in sombrada or a pluma as someone else stated. Used by itself it is very weak, must be supported by the live hand and with zoning to deal with power.

Black Grass

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Bloodwood:
>A 45 degree angle on a standard umbrella block accompanied by a rushing in move is a good entry in sparing. The Dog Bros. use a flying umbrella block as a combat entry move.

Me:
I believe this is a fairly common entry. Most guys come in with a #12 or #1. A move that I like which I have seen Pekiti Tirsia guys use it a #5 thrust as the attack after the umbrella.

A question to Modern Players how would counter an opponent with a umbrella cover (start of a new thread ?)

Doc B:
>Professor Presas, used Balintawak as one of three major building blocks for his art of Modern Arnis.

Me:
Presas Arnis, Balintawak what was the third?

Vince

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you look at the bladed usage fo the slanting block, it is quite an efficient method of getting your opponent to help slice his arm. They cut downward - you cut upward - blood spurts.

Against a percussion instrument it is a different story and I side with Dr. Gyi on this one. Unless you brace your wrist when using the slanting block (or sue the check hand to do the majority of the defense by passing the strike) that stick is going to copme slamming into your ribs hard enough to wake you out of a sound sleep.

Yep.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by arnisador

Ideally, by hitting the hand holding the stick and not the blocking stick itself. Back up and defang.

Good response. I would use the umbrella block, push the opponent's arm away and to my left side, the counter with
a "drop" (downward) strike and a #5 thrust to the chest.
The latter strike is intended to make the opponent step back
to gain the room to follow-up with a finishing strike of choice.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Latest Discussions