Donating blood--does it bother you?

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not so much afraid of the needle, but I hate that blood pressure cuff they put on my upper arm prior to sticking the needle in. Once in a while they take it off, other times it's left on the entire time--I still don't understand why:idunno:

Apparently, the winter weather has caused a vast number of blood drives to be cancelled, creating a national shortage of donated blood. January and February blood banks are typically low, but this year, it's worse than usual.

If you're healthy, please consider donating a pint of blood. Below is a link so that you can look up your nearest donation center:

http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation

While we're on the topic, please tell the forum about any personal experiences you've had donating blood. If you have a phobia, perhaps you could tell us about it. Tips for making the experience a little more pleasant would be appreciated.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never had problems, and I've been donating blood for over 20 years. I hold a book in my other hand, propped on my knees, and read the entire time; I've never so much as gotten dizzy.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
No problems with me.all good :)

Only thing i dont like is when they prick your swearing finger. hate that poke. The rest I'm ok with.

The blood pressure cuff helps veins become more prominent - some people's veins are harder to find - thats also why they ask you to make a fist too. :) helps veisn pop out and blood flow more easily.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donating blood doesn't bother me, in theory-but I'm not allowed to donate because of my medical history.......I've had enough blood drawn for testing over the years, though, that I know it wouldn't bother me.........hell, I got poked, prodded, folded, spindled and mutilated so much when I was little, a little nap or peaceful reading time while doing something worthwhile sounds damn good in comparison.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I still donate as often as I can. I have a very tight schedule and am functionally illiterate in Japanese, so I can`t do much volunteer work here. But I can always donate blood. I find that after lunch, when my fluids and blood sugar are both high is the best time for me. Only got dizzy once when I hadn`t eaten well before giving.

Like they say "save a life, get a cookie"

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not so much afraid of the needle, but I hate that blood pressure cuff they put on my upper arm prior to sticking the needle in. Once in a while they take it off, other times it's left on the entire time--I still don't understand why:idunno:

Properly applied, the cuff shuts off the venous return (the low pressure side) without affecting the arterial flow (the high pressure side). This means that blood flows into the arm but flow back out is restricted. That means the veins will be distended, which makes the veinipuncture easier. It also increases the pressure in the vein, which makes the bag fill faster.

I've donated gallons of blood over the years, but now that I've been diagnosed with cancer, that's over.
One of the strangest experiences was sending a trauma patient to the OR, and then shortly thereafter being called by the blood bank to donate. They came over to the ER, took the unit of blood, and took it to the OR for the pt I'd sent there.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started donating last year. Now I try to do it every 3 months, which is the maximum allowed in Belgium. My veins are surface level so they can easily find them. They're also fairly wide so that bag is filled in a manner of 5 to 7 minutes.

I haven't had side effects so far. I do know that some people respond badly to the blood loss, but luckily that hasn't happened to me. I donate partly to help othe rpeople, and partly because I think it is good for a body to be forced to replenish lost blood.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My missus donates as often as she is allowed - she is that magic universal blood type {O negative?} so they are always happy to see her.

Myself, I am trypanophobic (altho' I have always called it aichmophobia as that was what I was first told it was called), so the odds of getting me to sit still for such a process are nil :lol:. The irony of my being deathly afeared of needles when I wield a sword for fun is not lost on me :).

Thanks to my martial arts training (and not looking :D) I can have blood tests or local anesthetic - I turn my head away (if possible) or close my eyes and run through kata in my head :lol:.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always got a funny feeling, like butterflies, when just thinking of the blood draining out of me. I was just getting in to donating blood regularly at the local VFW Red Cross blood drive when I was told I could no longer donate because I lived in Europe in the 90s.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-topic

After reading the site at the link above, I'm right on the borderline of 6 months in 1990, so I may be able to give. My wife, who is O neg, may be completely cleared as she didn't join me overseas right away. If that is the case, she will be happy to give again as she has the universal blood type.

You were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames
  • From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany
  • From 1980 through 1996 - Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.
The last time I tried to give blood these two bullet points were combined into a single one for Europe with a timeframe of 1980-1996. With the 1990 end time for Germany, and the fact I had only spent five months of 1990 in Germany, my wife and I may both be able to donate again.

Thanks for this thread girlbug2!

MPC1257

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Our town civic groups sponsor blood drives on Saturdays, so I go to my Kun Tao class in the morning, leave a little early and donate around 12:15 or so. I have to say that I usually feel better after giving, I have no idea why.

I've donated over 10 gallons and only had an issue once. It was a summer day and about 96 degrees and I hadn't eaten in a while, the blood just stopped flowing. They told me it must have clotted or something and gave me credit for a whole pint.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't donate as regularly as I used to. I'm not afraid of needles -- but I don't like watching 'em go into ME so I look away, too, Mark. Once it's in and I'm draining, I'm fine.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I donate occasionally. It doesn't bother me except for when I get a newb who can't hit the vein or goes through it. I mean it's not like I have thin, delicate veins or anything, it's right there.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Needles don't bother me, they never have, but, I can't understand IV drug use, it isn't something I'd do for fun... It really would have to be better than sex.
I don't donate blood for the same reason I am not an organ donor. I don't want to and am not too polite to say "Get your own." In virtually all other ways, I am a wonderful, giving person, but, not with my parts or fluids, thanks. ;)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no problem giving blood, although when I was younger, I did indeed have that fear of needles thing - it always made me get light-headed and pass out (after the needle poke, not before). The pain never bothered me. Now that I have diabetes, well, let's say I'm well over it, since I have to draw my own blood constantly.

However, as far as donating it; doesn't bother me, but it appears to bother the people who get my blood; they burst into flames. Strange, that.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, the terror of needles comes from the second time I nearly died (it amazes me how any of us make it to adulthood!).

The doctors reckon that a handful of hours more of delay in our GP sending me to hospital for a simple x-ray and it would have been too late.

I ended up having to have injections for months - that's enough to give anyone an aversion.

But I think what really did it was that the boy in the bed next to me had some evil spinal disease and they injected him twice a day (with a needle that looked more like a lance) up from the base of his spine. He used to scream the ward down, poor little fellow - in the end it did no good as he died regardless :(.

I was only a lad then but I could still describe that ward to you in intricate detail :shudders:. On the upside, that's where I first came across E.E. Doc Smith (in the wards book cupboard) - so it wasn't all fear and pain :lol:.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I donate several tiems a year (as often as I can really). No problems...not afraid of needles or the like. Only time I came close to a progblem was the last time I did a double red cell donation (I'm O type) and I was more run down than usual after that. It cut into my training for a little bit...but other than that no real issues.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, the terror of needles comes from the second time I nearly died (it amazes me how any of us make it to adulthood!).

I'm sorry to hear of your medical history; I've been rather fortunate.

In my case, I have no idea where it came from. It's the classic needle phobia, which is rather interesting as phobias go. Most phobias invoke the 'fight or flight' syndrome, and the pulse rate and blood pressure go up. The needle phobia is very different, in that the blood pressure drops and heart rate slows, often resulting in loss of consciousness for a short period of time. In my case, my parents would take me to the doctors to get some childhood immunization shot, I'd get the shot, say 'ow', and walk away. Ten seconds later, I'd get cold sweats, my head would swim, and I'd drop like a stone. Happened quite often. Not a fear of needles - a needle phobia. Very different.

I had it through high school; I passed out when required to prick my own finger in biology class to type our blood (I'm Type A Positive). However, when I joined the Marine Corps, I realized that this much change. A Marine does not pass out upon getting a shot. So I overcame it by act of will.

I have had relapses a few times. I got the cold sweats and nearly passed out when getting my last tattoo, about ten years ago. I was having some blood taken prior to my most recent surgery when I had to have a lung biopsy to find out what the dark spots on my lungs were (they're sarcoidosis) and I passed out after getting my third blood draw of the day prior to the surgery. I was laying down at the time, so no big deal.

Many people, including medical professionals, are unaware of needle phobia and are not sure what to do when a person who has it begins to pass out. If I experience it, I generally get warm, then have cold sweats, then get lightheaded, then go out. I'm fine; I usually come to on my own in less than 30 seconds. While I'm out, I am conscious; I can hear people, but I cannot open my eyes or respond. It's even kind of a nice feeling, I'm floating around in my own little cocoon. When I open my eyes, I'm totally back to normal and feel fine. In the most recent case, the blood draw continued through the entire event and I was fine with it as it continued after I came to.

However, it can make it hard to donate blood. Explain to the nurse that you *might* pass out and they don't want to do the draw, even if you're laying down and explain the whole thing to them. I have given blood, but I do not want to be the guy that has everyone yelling and running towards when they set up in the employee cafeteria, you know? Too embarrassing; and in several cases, they've simply refused to take my blood when I tell them that I *might* pass out.

Such is life.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I donated for years, but it was difficult sometimes because I have Platelets Of Kryptonite. A lot of times when they stuck me, I simply wouldn't bleed. If I did, it would take at least 20 minutes to fill the bag.

The last time I tried was on my 29th birthday. They went from one arm (no luck) to the other (no luck) back to the first one again. I lay there for 45 minutes, and they came back to tell me that I had only half-filled the bag. Of course what had accumulated had already congealed, so they sent me home with a lame "I tried to give blood today" sticker on my shirt.

I gave up at that point. I'm an idealist and believe in serving my community, and I always liked the idea of giving blood because there's no substitute for it. I always did it in spite of a real distaste for needles. But there's no fun in lying there for 20-30 minutes, especially when there's a likelihood that it'll be in vain :ultracool anyway.

Latest Discussions