Dojo Photo's/role models

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well he's off drugs, doing movies and doing tours talking about his life and helping people not make the same mistakes he did
As I said, I'm not very aware of his current life. If he's making a good effort, helping others and having a positive impact, then he's on that redemption trail.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Greatest.

Greatest and best aren't the same thing. It's possible to be both, but one can be one and not the other. Many experts claim Ray Robinson was the best ever. Anyone with any sense will say Ali was the greatest ever.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tough subject. I wouldn't have his picture hanging in my dojo, but there is the redemption factor to consider.

Ali, Robinson, Grebb, we could go on and on. But we won't.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also cones down to human interest who's more famous and got more money Tyson or Nicola Adams fact is some people are purely motivated to get famous and get rich that's what tyson represents to some

Nicola Adams is more famous in the UK than a washed up American has been we weren't that keen on anyway and for all the right reasons. She has represented her country with grace and is doing so again, something we are extremely proud of.
Your opinion is yours alone, don't expect everyone to share it and don't expect it to be correct in this case.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nicola Adams is more famous in the UK than a washed up American has been we weren't that keen on anyway and for all the right reasons. She has represented her country with grace and is doing so again, something we are extremely proud of.
Your opinion is yours alone, don't expect everyone to share it and don't expect it to be correct in this case.
Sorry but she's really not maybe has and good on her doesn't but it doesn't make her more famous

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also cones down to human interest who's more famous and got more money Tyson or Nicola Adams fact is some people are purely motivated to get famous and get rich that's what tyson represents to some
And that's precisely why I wouldn't use him. How he got there is not a path anyone should be teaching.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And that's precisely why I wouldn't use him. How he got there is not a path anyone should be teaching.
He didn't do anything wrong with his actual boxing he won all his fights easy as that it was after he got the title and surrounded himself with scum like don king that his life started going downhill. If cus d'amato hadnt died he probably wouldn't have ended up like that in his last fights as champ he was head hunting to much because his coaching staff was a joke because he'd fired his real trainers

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He didn't do anything wrong with his actual boxing he won all his fights easy as that it was after he got the title and surrounded himself with scum like don king that his life started going downhill. If cus d'amato hadnt died he probably wouldn't have ended up like that in his last fights as champ he was head hunting to much because his coaching staff was a joke because he'd fired his real trainers
No, but I don't want to choose a role model for anyone that isn't well-rounded. He was arrogant before he was a champion. I'd happily use his technique as a model if I were a boxing coach and working with someone who would benefit from them, but I wouldn't put his picture up unless I was going to put a warning message about how things turned bad, so people can learn from the whole person, not just the fighter in the ring.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but she's really not maybe has and good on her doesn't but it doesn't make her more famous

Read what I said, she's more famous in the UK, especially at the moment she's all over the media with the Olympics about to start. If you say Tyson here by the way people think you mean Tyson Fury, Mike Tyson never had the impact here that home grown boxers have, Henry Cooper for a start. It's more natural for any country to look to their own first and foreigners second.

I think you should read a non biased account of Mike Tyson's life btw.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, but I don't want to choose a role model for anyone that isn't well-rounded. He was arrogant before he was a champion. I'd happily use his technique as a model if I were a boxing coach and working with someone who would benefit from them, but I wouldn't put his picture up unless I was going to put a warning message about how things turned bad, so people can learn from the whole person, not just the fighter in the ring.
At the end of the day just because you put up a picture of a guy it doesn't mean anyone who sees it has to be like him. We still have our own choices if I see a mike tyson poster in my gym I'm not going to think oh that's so cool now I'm going to do drugs and get arrested and lose all my money am I. The poster may get the person to look into the guy but I just don't agree on all this role model stuff. Like in karate kid where he says "no such thing as bad student only bad teacher" that's bs to me that's basically blaming someone else for you being a jerk we're all individuals we all have our own choices if someone's so mentally weak they copy someone's obvious bad actions then they're the ones that obviously weren't taught right from wrong so their actions are on them no one else. If a kid comes into a gym sees a poster of tyson and becomes a drug addict rapist that's not tysons fault that's the kids fault

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Read what I said, she's more famous in the UK, especially at the moment she's all over the media with the Olympics about to start. If you say Tyson here by the way people think you mean Tyson Fury, Mike Tyson never had the impact here that home grown boxers have, Henry Cooper for a start. It's more natural for any country to look to their own first and foreigners second.

I think you should read a non biased account of Mike Tyson's life btw.
I have thank you but it's pretty stupid to say he's not one of the most famous boxers in the world and tyson fury who was he named after again? Hmm let's think....I don't like the guy but I'm just starting facts he's always going to be worldwide more famous than an Olympic medalist that's a fact because he's had a lot more media attention been in the public eye more. At the end of the day in 20 years people will still know who mike tyson is I doubt they'll know who Nicola Adams Is without googling her

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day just because you put up a picture of a guy it doesn't mean anyone who sees it has to be like him. We still have our own choices if I see a mike tyson poster in my gym I'm not going to think oh that's so cool now I'm going to do drugs and get arrested and lose all my money am I. The poster may get the person to look into the guy but I just don't agree on all this role model stuff. Like in karate kid where he says "no such thing as bad student only bad teacher" that's bs to me that's basically blaming someone else for you being a jerk we're all individuals we all have our own choices if someone's so mentally weak they copy someone's obvious bad actions then they're the ones that obviously weren't taught right from wrong so their actions are on them no one else. If a kid comes into a gym sees a poster of tyson and becomes a drug addict rapist that's not tysons fault that's the kids fault
You are underestimating the psychological impact of culture. Good people sometimes make bad decisions because they become accustomed to what's "acceptable" around them. When you start teaching, you take on a responsibility for what you communicate, and every bit matters. No, someone's not going to suddenly decide to do drugs because of a Tyson poster. But they may decide he's a good role model as a fighter, and miss the lesson that being a good fighter isn't all anyone should be working on. And then if they miss that, they may imitate some of his behaviors and attitudes, and now they've started to learn a wrong lesson.

People are more easily influenced in small ways that is generally perceived.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are underestimating the psychological impact of culture. Good people sometimes make bad decisions because they become accustomed to what's "acceptable" around them. When you start teaching, you take on a responsibility for what you communicate, and every bit matters. No, someone's not going to suddenly decide to do drugs because of a Tyson poster. But they may decide he's a good role model as a fighter, and miss the lesson that being a good fighter isn't all anyone should be working on. And then if they miss that, they may imitate some of his behaviors and attitudes, and now they've started to learn a wrong lesson.

People are more easily influenced in small ways that is generally perceived.
I get what your saying but I don't agree if the kid missed the lesson that's their fault. To me it's the same as if a kid plays grand theft auto then goes and shoots a taxi driver, steals a car and runs people over. People say oh it's the games fault no it's not its the kids fault he did those things if playing a game can make you do that you've obviously got something wrong with you same with that if you see someone as a role model and copy them if they do bad stuff that's your fault. I don't believe in blaming outside sources you take responsiblity for your own actions no one to blame but yourself, if a guy gets inspired by tyson and becomes a rapist if he said to a judge I did it because tyson did it then that wouldn't be acceptable at all

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have thank you but it's pretty stupid to say he's not one of the most famous boxers in the world and tyson fury who was he named after again? Hmm let's think....I don't like the guy but I'm just starting facts he's always going to be worldwide more famous than an Olympic medalist that's a fact because he's had a lot more media attention been in the public eye more. At the end of the day in 20 years people will still know who mike tyson is I doubt they'll know who Nicola Adams Is without googling her

Fame is fleeting, especially fame that is 'celebrity'. You talk to young people now and many will actually never have heard of Mike Tyson, not everyone is into boxing or even sport. I can tell you know that the kids in my martial arts classes have never heard of Mike Tyson, why would they? Just as they don't know who Frank Sinatra, the Beatles and Greta Garbo were. It's all in the past and names you think are famous? Well they just aren't actually.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what your saying but I don't agree if the kid missed the lesson that's their fault. To me it's the same as if a kid plays grand theft auto then goes and shoots a taxi driver, steals a car and runs people over. People say oh it's the games fault no it's not its the kids fault he did those things if playing a game can make you do that you've obviously got something wrong with you same with that if you see someone as a role model and copy them if they do bad stuff that's your fault. I don't believe in blaming outside sources you take responsiblity for your own actions no one to blame but yourself, if a guy gets inspired by tyson and becomes a rapist if he said to a judge I did it because tyson did it then that wouldn't be acceptable at all
Except that by putting up that photo, you're not delivering that lesson. It's not the kid's fault for missing a lesson when you _appear_ to be teaching the opposite.

Personal responsibility applies to the teacher, as well.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fame is fleeting, especially fame that is 'celebrity'. You talk to young people now and many will actually never have heard of Mike Tyson, not everyone is into boxing or even sport. I can tell you know that the kids in my martial arts classes have never heard of Mike Tyson, why would they? Just as they don't know who Frank Sinatra, the Beatles and Greta Garbo were. It's all in the past and names you think are famous? Well they just aren't actually.
Tyson was before my time to so were the Beatles I've still heard of them same with Ali he was before tyson yet everyone still knows him

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fact is plenty there are plenty of athletes who aren't good people but are still great at their sport so deserve respect for that. Even Bruce lee, he was a very arrogant person who had to leave Hong Kong because he was constantly street fighting, was in gangs and got into gang warfare, got In trouble with the police and had issues with the triads and got into street fights in America and broke one of his friends jaw becayse he landed a punch on him In sparring also played pranks that nearly drowned his sister and bullied other people and was constantly dismissive and arrogant to other people and their methods. Also he was a drugs user (there was cannabis found in his body on his autopsy and bob wall said he used canabis to relax)

So Bruce lee wasnt exactly an amazing person. Okay he wasn't on tysons level of how much a scum bag he was but he as a person still wasnt a lovely person who you'd want your kid to be like but he's still a big hero and kids love and respect him.

I would debate some this but wont - other than to agree that his arrogance and toughness was known, but he was also a loving husband, father, and good with children. He also did much to advance race relations and advanced the ideas of mixed martial arts of the time he was alive. He was more than just a good fighter.

Latest Discussions