Dojo arguments

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Whoever was teaching the class at that time should not have been corrected by anyone in public. If he did something incorrect, then he would need to be corrected in private.

That 2nd Dan sounds incredibly irresponsible and egotistical.

Tell the chief instructor or school owner immediately. If it is not immediately corrected, I would leave as that type of behavior is poisonous to the entire dojo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tortoise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That sucks.

If you know when the A-hole is going to train, you could not show up then.

You should probably try to talk to the owner.

I have been places where some high ranking individuals did things differently. Students usually just did the "version" being taught by the instructor teaching on that day.

Some discussion on different variations is healthy and good for everyone. Sounds like the discussions at your dojo have crossed the line into becoming pissing contests.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been places where some high ranking individuals did things differently. Students usually just did the "version" being taught by the instructor teaching on that day.
I'm actually a fan of instructors doing things differently. Each of the teachers at my gym has their own approach to the art and does things differently. We don't getting into pissing matches over those differences, though. We present our varied approaches so that students can find out what works for them as individuals.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm actually a fan of instructors doing things differently. Each of the teachers at my gym has their own approach to the art and does things differently. We don't getting into pissing matches over those differences, though. We present our varied approaches so that students can find out what works for them as individuals.

I think that, as long as everyone is on the same page as far as advancement requirements/core curriculum standards go, then other differences are fine and can, like you say, be helpful. Different ways of explaining things, different drills they like to do, that's good. But if you can't agree on what the moves are in a form, or what a shoulder throw is supposed to look like, that's more of a problem.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It only becomes an issue when one decides the others are wrong. Otherwise, it usually has real benefits.

Latest Discussions