Doing weights for martial arts and other junk.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep new like those guys on YouTube who do 100 pull-ups in 2 minutes, yet didn't really do a single one?

I hate quoting myself, but I have to...

My post should have said "Kind of like those guys..."

Damn iPhone changing way too many things. And of course I don't see it until after it's too late to edit the post.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Functional exercise plus weights. Produces a pretty decent result.
Functional Exercise is the key phrase here. There is a big difference in his body mechanics compared to these guys and gals

I currently started lifting weights again and the big difference now is that my weight lifting exercises are functional in movement. It's not like the I first time I started as a teen where all I cared about was making my arms and chest bigger.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never believed that lifting weights were bad, and I treat the term "functional" training with the littlest respect possible. If it can mean anything, it means nothing. Plus, alot of CrossFit pansies show off that fact, and I try to stay as far away from that as possible.
Real classy of you insulting people trying to stay in shape

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe you should use every avenue of your Dojo's resources. If there are weights there...etc.

If you don't, that's on you.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Functional Exercise is the key phrase here. There is a big difference in his body mechanics compared to these guys and gals

I currently started lifting weights again and the big difference now is that my weight lifting exercises are functional in movement. It's not like the I first time I started as a teen where all I cared about was making my arms and chest bigger.

I think people have some idiotic idea that everyone who lifts weights will end up looking like the people in that video.

As my British friends would say... bullocks. If you get that big, then yeah, your mobility will most likely be hindered. But for 99% of the people out there - cross that imaginary bridge when you get to it.

But then again, if you're THAT big and strong and actually know how to fight, you don't have to be too mobile. Someone who knows how to punch properly and can bench press 500 lbs isn't going to have to hit you too many times.

Edit: And not wanting to get that big seems like a good excuse to not lift. :)

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think people have some idiotic idea that everyone who lifts weights will end up looking like the people in that video.
That's why I stated Functional Exercise was the key phrase. The video made it easier to highlight the problem of non-functional exercises, but it also happens to people who aren't that big. A person has to train mobility and agility if they want it, and in the past most bodybuilders wanted just size and strength and did little to train functional movements that are utilized in mobility. This video highlights someone who does functional exercises and lifts weights to become big.

same as this guy who is doing functional exercise and the normal bodybuilding exercises.

lol. I always want to be a size where it's easy for the fireman to drag me out of a burning building lol.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's why I stated Functional Exercise was the key phrase. The video made it easier to highlight the problem of non-functional exercises, but it also happens to people who aren't that big. A person has to train mobility and agility if they want it, and in the past most bodybuilders wanted just size and strength and did little to train functional movements that are utilized in mobility. This video highlights someone who does functional exercises and lifts weights to become big.

same as this guy who is doing functional exercise and the normal bodybuilding exercises.

lol. I always want to be a size where it's easy for the fireman to drag me out of a burning building lol.

I agree with you. I just quoted your post for the video, not your comments.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree with you. I just quoted your post for the video, not your comments.
I know. I thought it would be a good place to post a video of the other side of the discussion. Sometimes I get one sided and I don't show the other side of things. I'm trying to break of that habit and be less of an "either or" person and to be more of a "why not both" type person.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never believed that lifting weights were bad, and I treat the term "functional" training with the littlest respect possible. If it can mean anything, it means nothing. Plus, alot of CrossFit pansies show off that fact, and I try to stay as far away from that as possible.

Yeah the term coveres everything that is not isolation. And so you get good representation and bad.

Mabye there is a better term. I dont know.

Anyway fun with crossfit fail.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the term coveres everything that is not isolation. And so you get good representation and bad.

Mabye there is a better term. I dont know.

Anyway fun with crossfit fail.

I agree that it's overused/misused. I don't agree with @KangTsai's assertion that it's meaningless. Functional strength exercises develop strength for use other than the exercise in question. The general definition is that it's not in isolation, so that it recruits the support and secondary muscles, as well. Kettlebells exercises tend to do this better than many of the oft-defaulted dumbbell exercises. Of course, it can be achieved with nearly any weight or resistance (including dumbbells). The bigger issue with CrossFit isn't that it's not functional, but that they aren't using good sense about safety and joint longevity. And some people get all caught up in the moment and use more weight/resistance than is reasonable for their level.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Crossfitters are traditionally like vegans. For some reason everybody has to know about it.
Oh so that's why I don't care for crossfitters lol. Those guys are nuts with the exercises that they do. I think I read somewhere, from a reliable source, that they have the highest occurrence of injury.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh so that's why I don't care for crossfitters lol. Those guys are nuts with the exercises that they do. I think I read somewhere, from a reliable source, that they have the highest occurrence of injury.

I think lawn bowls is still the highest amount of deaths

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think lawn bowls is still the highest amount of deaths
is it because of the age of the players? And the desire to play it in the sun? In Austraila? While in white clothing? lol

Reaction score
Nah, size can have some impact on a person's martial arts ability, but I have seen big guys do amazing kicks and perform with insane agility, while I have seen smaller people (like myself at one point, now just small ;)) Struggle with some parts of martial arts because their body doesn't have the strength or stamina.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
is it because of the age of the players? And the desire to play it in the sun? In Austraila? While in white clothing? lol

Yeah the age. I worked at one once. A guy would drop dead on the field about once a month.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Exercises that can help with power:

-Squat: Kicks, stance strength
-Deadlift: most hip / shoulder throws
-Bench Press: any outside to inside chopping motion, hook punches
-military press: lift bad guy over head and throw him
-Barbell Row: clinch, flipping people

Power = Force/Time

When you do these exersizes for martial arts you should use explosive movements. (Squat down slow and then explode up quickly like how you do a front kick). In my opinion you should do about 4-6 sets of 3-6 reps, I prefer 5 sets of 6 reps but that's just me. If you can squat 500 lbs and can do a front kick with good technique it'll probably be really powerful.

Latest Discussions