Does your jkd allow sparring?

paulH

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've only dabbled in JKD, so take this anecdotal story for what it is.... One of my buddies was training at a BJJ school that also taught JKD. They didn't really allow any sparring, just drilling where they did allow contact, but always in a controlled form (only jabbing, only trapping, etc). After he had been taking it for a year we got to play around in my gym...

He was completely lost when he wasn't in a drill with clearly defined skill sets to be applied. My lateral movement and orthodox lead (left foot forward) had him confused, me changing ranges and mixing up my tactics with broken rythym had him completely frustrated. He wasn't able to deal with the improvization that comes into play with normal sparring. I was able to keep him outside of his comfort zone and simply dismantle him.

I was surprised because I had drilled with him before this and he had very sound skills, but he hadn't figured out how to apply them outside of drilling mode and how to apply them with someone not doing the same things. He said he felt like he was always a step behind... that he was trying to figure out what I was doing, then adapt to it while I had already moved onto something else.

I would ask your instructor about sparring, just be respectful and ask him if you could spar somewhat. Make it clear that you aren't trying to challenge anyone except yourself and that you aren't trying to hurt anyone.

As for contact levels, while going hard every once in a while is beneficial IMHO, I've always learned the most when going light with my partners (50-70%) power since I wasn't afraid of getting hurt, I could relax and try out new skillsets I wasn't as comfortable with instead of going back to my bread and butter techniques.

YMMV

i have only one major problem with sparing... people tend to dodge back a lot and get out of range...

in my experience in a street fight people are coming together (usually very fast) to hurt each other...

whilst sparing can teach you a lot its imo as important to train in more practical scenarios as well... not in drill format, completly free form but the interception element of jkd is imo improved with this style of training...

sounds to me your friend was learning jkd in a very haphazord way... trapping and punching are not seperate things... the ranges of combat are not static and drills should where possible move over multiple ranges... and to me drills should ALWAYS have multiple outcomes... say you oblieque kick then then may step back, may step off may shuffel back or may attack with hands... we never know what the reaction will be and then react to the reaction... it teaches distance and timing as well as making you think... also i hate training in gyms... matts just annoy me you dont bounce and move in real life like you do on matts and wooden floors let you move your feet in unrealistic ways... we train on concrete sometimes... uneven surfaces etc... that teaches you a LOT especially about footwork... pushing people over kerbs etc

imo i get more for street defence from that type of training than i do from sparing... though we occasionally spar with some mma guys in another class its just not very real to me... we cant take knees, throat shots, balls, eyes... all the good stuff is off limits...

not to dis sparing though i think its essential to help you be comfortable in your stance and find out what works for you and you have to know how to take a punch or several (though we do allow quite heavy contact with our drills especially for leg conditioning... ouch!!!!!)...

my own favourire is being well protected (headgaurd with face guard, hockey pads, groin protecter / belly guard for the kidneys, mma gloves)... then just go for it 100%... short and sharp both of you coming together cos thats how it happens in a street...

Dark Gift Concepts

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i have only one major problem with sparing... people tend to dodge back a lot and get out of range...

in my experience in a street fight people are coming together (usually very fast) to hurt each other...

whilst sparing can teach you a lot its imo as important to train in more practical scenarios as well... not in drill format, completly free form but the interception element of jkd is imo improved with this style of training...

sounds to me your friend was learning jkd in a very haphazord way... trapping and punching are not seperate things... the ranges of combat are not static and drills should where possible move over multiple ranges... and to me drills should ALWAYS have multiple outcomes... say you oblieque kick then then may step back, may step off may shuffel back or may attack with hands... we never know what the reaction will be and then react to the reaction... it teaches distance and timing as well as making you think... also i hate training in gyms... matts just annoy me you dont bounce and move in real life like you do on matts and wooden floors let you move your feet in unrealistic ways... we train on concrete sometimes... uneven surfaces etc... that teaches you a LOT especially about footwork... pushing people over kerbs etc

imo i get more for street defence from that type of training than i do from sparing... though we occasionally spar with some mma guys in another class its just not very real to me... we cant take knees, throat shots, balls, eyes... all the good stuff is off limits...

not to dis sparing though i think its essential to help you be comfortable in your stance and find out what works for you and you have to know how to take a punch or several (though we do allow quite heavy contact with our drills especially for leg conditioning... ouch!!!!!)...

my own favourire is being well protected (headgaurd with face guard, hockey pads, groin protecter / belly guard for the kidneys, mma gloves)... then just go for it 100%... short and sharp both of you coming together cos thats how it happens in a street...

Totally agree, you tend to see back peddle and a lot of sparring/fighting in a context which is not reality based. Also if you happen to pay close attention to when your student's spare "the regular class guys" as to how they do to an outside source coming in. Body mechanics change and there focus becomes much sharper.. in most cases.

OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
so we did some minimal sparring, nothing too nuts since no one has all the equipment.

4 waves

1st wave was just kicking
2nd was trapping range
3rd was trapping range/take downs
4th was one guy punches and the other guy blocks

this is the second day we are doing this, it's really tiring.

With the trapping, there are a few things I can't quite conclude...

1.) I believe i need to be more agressive and finish the trap
2.) i imagine not really throwing hits that stun a guy makes it difficult to trap and take down
3.) I'm starting to think learning a technique is far different that actually using it in a real situation.
4.) I'm learning to test things out, I find I'm not a big fan of gunting. Gunting for me is more natural in the left lead, but I feel less mobile in my left. and my straight blast, forget it.
5.) I think light sparring and heavy sparring both have their strengths.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
#3.) I'm starting to think learning a technique is far different that actually using it in a real situation.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Now if only a rather disturbingly large part of the Martial Arts world would have the same realization!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Now if only a rather disturbingly large part of the Martial Arts world would have the same realization!

If only they'd change the training so the two matched.

Kentao5

White Belt
Reaction score
One does not want to become a "Master of Drills" or "Demonstrations."
If you want to learn to fight, you have to train with someone who is fighting back.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I have to ask you what your teacher (sifu) background is and where his JKD is derived from? Which lineage is branched off of, or his sifu rather. (I think this would really help alot of us more familiar w/ JKD) to identify a little more.

"Way of the intercepting fist" has 5 principles that you must learn to identify as well as learn to execute with efficiency. This is the beginning of the end within JKD. Outside of the very basics: footwork, trapping drills, and sil lum tao (if that is something your taught).

With these 5 principles aka "5 ways of attack" these are drills that start off very stagnant and very "drill-matic" in a sense.. you have to study these 5 principles and understand their components and exponents of execution, both from offensive and defensive. As these attacks start to come together you begin to notice your going to take them to a higher and more aggressive state to later you'll notice youll be sparring and not even know it.. You can then identify these 5 ways of attack in an actual full contact set up type environment and have answers to these elements.

USING NO WAY AS WAY and HAVING NO LIMTATIONS AS LIMITATIONS to understand this you'll see where and how JKD pulls together.. This should be a foundation a core of what lies ahead.. If you begin pulling other arts into your JKD (concepts) if thats your way ie. filipino arts, bjj, mma, muay thai, etc... you'll always fall back on your JKD as your foundational hold.

Hope this helps you identify alot of what your studying and what your goals should be..

So what im saying is, slow down onto th sparring and focus on the "5 ways of attack" and begin to work by identifying them and exploring them at their fullest. Take a straight punch, using a stop kick or hook kick to close the gap to insert your defense. FIRST RLE OF THUMB is "ATTACK" always attack..

OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I have to ask you what your teacher (sifu) background is and where his JKD is derived from? Which lineage is branched off of, or his sifu rather. (I think this would really help alot of us more familiar w/ JKD) to identify a little more.

"Way of the intercepting fist" has 5 principles that you must learn to identify as well as learn to execute with efficiency. This is the beginning of the end within JKD. Outside of the very basics: footwork, trapping drills, and sil lum tao (if that is something your taught).

With these 5 principles aka "5 ways of attack" these are drills that start off very stagnant and very "drill-matic" in a sense.. you have to study these 5 principles and understand their components and exponents of execution, both from offensive and defensive. As these attacks start to come together you begin to notice your going to take them to a higher and more aggressive state to later you'll notice youll be sparring and not even know it.. You can then identify these 5 ways of attack in an actual full contact set up type environment and have answers to these elements.

USING NO WAY AS WAY and HAVING NO LIMTATIONS AS LIMITATIONS to understand this you'll see where and how JKD pulls together.. This should be a foundation a core of what lies ahead.. If you begin pulling other arts into your JKD (concepts) if thats your way ie. filipino arts, bjj, mma, muay thai, etc... you'll always fall back on your JKD as your foundational hold.

Hope this helps you identify alot of what your studying and what your goals should be..

So what im saying is, slow down onto th sparring and focus on the "5 ways of attack" and begin to work by identifying them and exploring them at their fullest. Take a straight punch, using a stop kick or hook kick to close the gap to insert your defense. FIRST RLE OF THUMB is "ATTACK" always attack..

I think you are right. We learned the 5 ways of attack, I just never really took them into such a rigorous mind set. (Now I will) I did realize, it was hard to get my opponent to do what I wanted. Attack my drawing is good, but when you aren't kicking or hitting real hard, it's hard to get someone to draw when they are not afraid. Both of my opponents I kicked a lot and fast to piss them off. It worked about half of the time. Over the past few days, I feel like I'm grasping collie and silat a lot better.

That was another thing, when we were doing light sparring on take downs, it was very difficult for anyone but the skilled guys to do anything we learned. My one friend got me in an underhook (one that I probably could of shrugged away, but I wanted him to feel he earned it) Otherwise, it seemed tackling was the most used. I have one year experience of wrestling, so I could of won this tackling match. I just avoided using a tackle cause it seems so without poise. Like any git could do it.

OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Havnt' sparred in a while, but monday we did trapping/punching/kicking.

It's funny how much trapping and intercepting quickly become the basis, especially at the more novice levels (such as myself)

Listening to some of the real experienced discuss there sparring experiences got me so enthusiastic to learn more.

One of the secondary instructors said he was sparring with one of our jkd students who used to do a lot of tae kwan do. He was saying how quick his kicks were and how one kick was coming for his face. He had no choice but to throw up his elbow in a block/destructive move.

The other one was reminiscing on his fight with this jkd student who previously did boxing. And how at one point he was centimeters away from getting nailed by a huge hook.

Anyway, I think I'm going to put a lot of time into my trapping/straight blast and just some of the basic concepts like singular angular attacks. Just focus on the bread and butter. Nothing against the silat grappling stuff, but I have a new light for them.

I look at grappling like weapon fighting. You don't look for the disarm. You'll know it when you see it and you will execute. So that is why I want to invest a lot of my outside class time to the other stuff.

Smoke

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think you absolutely have to have sparring. Sparring is the getting into the water that Lee spoke so much about.

A lot of people HATE sparring. But I find that almost without exception, this is either because they weren't taught HOW to spar (apply their developing skills in real time) or they weren't doing progressively, gradually.

Also, sparring tends to be a big ego-fest for many people and just some sort of free-for-all "proving ground". But that should be left for fighting. Good sparring should be done in a manner that allows learning to occur, IMO.

As far as guntings and destructions are concerned, they can be plugged right into sparring. However if you're wearing gloves, you're not going to get the results you're looking for. You almost have to train bareknuckle and with some full face headgear. Bareknuckle is obviously very difficult to do for safety reasons.

Spikes on the other hand, well that's a little different. I've felt the elbow destruction (spike) through 16oz gloves. I've also taken a few on my shin as well and wore a nice mouse on my leg for several days.

I think the success or failure of things like guntings,etc, depend on how they're used as well. I'm in more of a defensive mindset at RANGE when I use them as part of an active defense (as opposed to a passive defense). I'm not necessarily looking to close or go on the offensive when I use them. Usually I'm staying outside and "pot-shotting". With proper angles and footwork, they can work. Without the angles though, you're vulnerable to being lit up.

As guntings/destructions are often taught though, you'd think a person was merely trying to "beat up someone's arm". It's almost laughable. I haven't found them usuable in this regard when your opponent is trying to take your head off.

OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Very good insight. I particularly like your last paragraph about the gunting. But another way I feel you could perceive it as (maybe this is what you were saying) in a fight, hit the closest available target. That's how we train with weapons, and that's how it should be empty handed. So if you are out of range of the body and head, and the arm is coming at you, why not use it as a base target when moving in?

Anyway, this foreign exchange student is now working at my job. He is from Lithuania and has done muay thai for 2 years. We were talking about sparring and it made me realize I really want to do heavy sparring once in a while. I'm jealous that he can most likely eat up body shots and such and I can't, simply because I dont' train that way.

He offered that we could sparr. Not quite sure how that would go, considering he doesn't have gear, so it'd probably be on the lighter side.

But more so onto my establishment, even when we do sparring, everyone pulls all their hits. It's almost like a technique-full ballet. There are times for that, but I want to season my body for hits.

I also wish we did the clinch range in sparring. We learn all these silat lankas and take downs, but we never use them in sparring.
A fwe weeks ago we did a grappling sparring session, but it was a joke considering no one knew what the hell they were doing on the mats. I have a single year of wrestling under my belt, so I knew how to maintain control and move in quick.

But I'm not really concerned with grappling on the ground, I figure if I ever get in that scenario, I'm just eye gouging, scratching, biting my way to victory.

But I really am interested in learning how to cope with a clinch like setting. This one assitant instructor who is originally from the Phillipines comes in once every few tuesday and talks of some of his spars in close range while they go counter for counter in a clinch like setting. He is a mix of a few things including jkd, and I know he did a lot with bagwasan (sp) [im just spelling it the way it sounds]

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Sparring is real close to actual fighting....YET 1000 miles in difference.....adrenlines...unknown attack (ers)....

BOXing you need to actual box...intincts are base on getting hit...than one understands "ducking" or weaving...

ONE day everyone who NEVER being in a real street fight? ....will one day understand....

ONE NEEDS TO FIGHT FOR REAL TO REALLY LEARN TO FIGHT!!!

...that is one reason....I really found out...my Kempo training...was NOT enough....

YET a poke in the eyes...hit on the throat,groin, or break something is good.....getting there is NOT easy!

To learn for REALS ...is to learn for real! .......Aloha

Latest Discussions