Does this mean they need catnip in Afghanistan?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never fails to amaze me how these roughy toughy types have an incredible streak of compassionate for creatures who need it. Recently I was watching a film on the Scots Guards in Afghan. While out with the Afghan army there was some shooting in a field, the Afghans shot at everything with our squaddies shouting at them to stop. The upshot was they had shot a three year old child. The little girl was treated by the Brit army medic who did everything she could ( while the men were furious with the Afghans) and the tiny girl was carried to an American helicopter whose medic, a big broad shouldered guy very tenderly took her and carried her to the helicopter. You could see in his body langauge how determined he was to be as careful with her as he could, I suspect he didn't put her fown until at the hospital. The little girl, so close to death she was slipping away as they watched had her life saved by these guys.

As for the kittens, it reminds them and us that in death there is life and it should be treasured not matter how small or what.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It always melts my heart with a big AAAWWWEEEEEE and a sheepish grin when I see those guys, the toughest of the tough fawn over their kittens and pups.
I suppose it's a bit of 'normal' in that crazy mess.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a recovering ex-news reporter. Call me a curmudgeon, but I really don't see how this qualifies as news. People take in stray kittens all the timehttp://www.allaboutcats.co.za/prisoncats.htm, all over the world. It's heart warming, but hardly unique or relevant in the face of a war, the US losing its credit rating, or an ongoing nuclear crisis in Japan. It's just PR. Sorry.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm a recovering ex-news reporter. Call me a curmudgeon, but I really don't see how this qualifies as news. People take in stray kittens all the time, all over the world. It's heart warming, but hardly unique or relevant in the face of a war, the US losing its credit rating, or an ongoing nuclear crisis in Japan. It's just PR. Sorry.

wasn't 'NEWS' just something nice...

After all, news is a rerun of bad 1970s catastrophe movies....24/7 bad news, gosh I am surprised the world is not all depressed or suicidal.
I take some soldier boy playing with a kitty any day. Not that I don't care or realize the bad stuff is out. But sheesh. How much of the bad stuff a person can't really control does one need?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a recovering ex-news reporter. Call me a curmudgeon, but I really don't see how this qualifies as news. People take in stray kittens all the time, all over the world. It's heart warming, but hardly unique or relevant in the face of a war, the US losing its credit rating, or an ongoing nuclear crisis in Japan. It's just PR. Sorry.

Flea, it does more than you think, it tell the rest of us who are sitting worrying about our loved ones in the war zone that life goes on, that our people out there are doing more than being shot at or blown up, it relieves a little of the tension that builds up, show us too that the guys aren't turning into monsters, something perhaps a lot of people worry. PTSD is an ever looming menace, if these guys can do something as normal as rescuing kittens and keeping them as pets it lessens the chances of PTSD. another use for it of course is as propaganda, it shows that the Allied troops have more than the 'warriror' touch, that's important to the Afghans who of course being Muslims don't care for dogs but like cats. It's a bit of a multi layed thing I'm afraid. That and a smile now and again brightens the day, I remember my mother saying that even in the dark days of the concentration camps there were things you could smile at now and again, it makes you feel a little bit more human despite everything.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A NATO Chinook transport helicopter was just shot down over Wardak Province where the ISAF has a station. 37 lives gone. One of the single worst single day losses of life in this war. Yes, people rescue animals all the time but for the love of all things holy lets remember that this is American and Coalition soldiers facing loss of life, limb, and sanity who are taking comfort in caring for these little cats, and seeing how they are making their way stateside, they are bringing comfort to the families who have loved ones serving in the corners of hell.

Latest Discussions