Does the old attitude of bullies exist still

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember once my grandad said he was friends with a judo instructor and he asked him what if a bully ever came in to learn and the instructor said they wouldn't last long as they wouldn't put the work in.

But I was thinking does that still apply these days because in traditional martial arts you'd wear the gi have to do the whole yes sensai no sensai bow sort of thing and learn katas and techniques and patterns so yeah bullies wouldn't want to do that.

But these days with things like mma and kickboxing people can just come in and learn the pure fighting bag work, sparring etc and it's also a workout which bullies wouldn't mind as much.

I know someone I worked with once a total scumbag I absolutely hate the guy he's been in prison for plenty of stuff and once stomped on a guys head outside a night club and he trains mma I don't think a thug like that should be training that but that's what I thought would be interesting to discuss

Tortoise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are still bullies in martial arts. Not that many, though. Most studios don't encourage them. Not good if other students have to quit because they are getting injured all the time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But these days with things like mma and kickboxing people can just come in and learn the pure fighting bag work, sparring etc and it's also a workout which bullies wouldn't mind as much.

What makes you think they can just walk in anymore than they can in a TMA place? You have a few misconceptions going on, bullies are just as likely to train and work hard as anyone else, they may be bullies but it doesn't mean they are lazy. Why would you think bullies wouldn't wear Gis, do kata etc etc? Not all bullies use force to bully, many use controlling behaviour, belittling and fear tactics.

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
I remember once my grandad said he was friends with a judo instructor and he asked him what if a bully ever came in to learn and the instructor said they wouldn't last long as they wouldn't put the work in.

But I was thinking does that still apply these days because in traditional martial arts you'd wear the gi have to do the whole yes sensai no sensai bow sort of thing and learn katas and techniques and patterns so yeah bullies wouldn't want to do that.

I know someone I worked with once a total scumbag I absolutely hate the guy he's been in prison for plenty of stuff and once stomped on a guys head outside a night club and he trains mma I don't think a thug like that should be training that but that's what I thought would be interesting to discuss
there are still bullies but karma always gets those type of people hard and even in mma and kickboxing those type of guys don't last long cause there is a lot of dedications that comes with martial arts training whether its traditional or mma its a lot of work you do have those rare few bullies who go long haul but they usually get beat up I have run into a few like that and after a sparring session or two I show them they cant just bully me tpeople like that will back down if they know they cant break you or cant just beat up on people with out consequences

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What makes you think they can just walk in anymore than they can in a TMA place? You have a few misconceptions going on, bullies are just as likely to train and work hard as anyone else, they may be bullies but it doesn't mean they are lazy. Why would you think bullies wouldn't wear Gis, do kata etc etc? Not all bullies use force to bully, many use controlling behaviour, belittling and fear tactics.

I didnt say that but most bullies if they want to learn to fight will not be looking to learn katas simple as that a bully looking to learn to fight would rather punch bags and spar with people. Yes they may work hard but simply not at katas. Some might yes not saying all won't but a large majority wouldn't

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I have a lot of concerns with this post. To the point where I'm not quite sure where to start. I guess maybe the first thing to address is that bullies are more common in arts like Mma. . My experience is that bullies are insecure and lack the appropriate tools to manage their insecurity. As a result, they try to mask the insecurity in bravado... A facade.

sports like Bjj and Mma are pretty hard places tk hide insecurity. you can't pretend to be a tough guy, and you can't improve unless you're willing to be the worst in the bunch. undeserved ego is impossible to sustain in the face of so much consistent feedback to the contrary.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If only!!

It's true. I know a couple bullies of high rank, but they don't 'get it'. One is even a pretty good technician, so to speak, but because his soul is not in tune with what he is doing, he will not advance past the surface level of martial arts. Punch and kick? Sure. Understand? Never.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a lot of concerns with this post. To the point where I'm not quite sure where to start. I guess maybe the first thing to address is that bullies are more common in arts like Mma. . My experience is that bullies are insecure and lack the appropriate tools to manage their insecurity. As a result, they try to mask the insecurity in bravado... A facade.

sports like Bjj and Mma are pretty hard places tk hide insecurity. you can't pretend to be a tough guy, and you can't improve unless you're willing to be the worst in the bunch. undeserved ego is impossible to sustain in the face of so much consistent feedback to the contrary.
Well like I said I know a total scum who trains mma. Also you can just look in the UFC and see a good few examples. Chris leben he was a total jerk on the ultimate fighter to other people same as josh koscheck and the way he bullied Gsp when he coached the show. Ronda rousey she's a total nasty woman who had a go at a fighter for saying well done to holly holm for knocking her out. Matt Hughes on his series of TUF he bullied rich franklin and bullied a number of his fighters.

I'm sure there are bullies in traditional martial arts as well I'm not saying there's not but mma would defientlely appeal more to a bully these days and I'm not hating on mma I love mma and a huge fan of it

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been a bully a couple of times in my life. Martial arts had little to do with it, someones people can just be jerks, that doesn't mean you are always a jerk 24/7.

If someone does something mean to someone cause they had a bad day does that make them a bully? I know for a fact all of the dojos I have been to would kick someone out if they found them to be picking fights with people or bullying someone though. I am sure mma gyms would do the same.

As for that ultimate fighter show, we have to remember that it is television, the producers want it to be entertaining and if everyone was nice and got along it would be less entertainment in to the mainstream audience.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been a bully a couple of times in my life. Martial arts had little to do with it, someones people can just be jerks, that doesn't mean you are always a jerk 24/7.

If someone does something mean to someone cause they had a bad day does that make them a bully? I know for a fact all of the dojos I have been to would kick someone out if they found them to be picking fights with people or bullying someone though. I am sure mma gyms would do the same.

As for that ultimate fighter show, we have to remember that it is television, the producers want it to be entertaining and if everyone was nice and got along it would be less entertainment in to the mainstream audience.
Yes I know martial arts can help stop bullies from bullying as well I'm not meaning this in a whole wide thing just in general. And as for the ultimate it may be edited but all those things they did they stil did

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well like I said I know a total scum who trains mma. Also you can just look in the UFC and see a good few examples. Chris leben he was a total jerk on the ultimate fighter to other people same as josh koscheck and the way he bullied Gsp when he coached the show. Ronda rousey she's a total nasty woman who had a go at a fighter for saying well done to holly holm for knocking her out. Matt Hughes on his series of TUF he bullied rich franklin and bullied a number of his fighters.

I'm sure there are bullies in traditional martial arts as well I'm not saying there's not but mma would defientlely appeal more to a bully these days and I'm not hating on mma I love mma and a huge fan of it
Being a jerk and being a bully aren't the same thing. Maybe that's where I'm losing you.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Being a jerk and being a bully aren't the same thing. Maybe that's where I'm losing you.
Most of the examples I gave are of bullying. Leben pissing in a guys bed and mocking the guys accent, Hughes beating up his fighters because they didnt do it to his level, koscheck sprays a hose on a guy and constantly verbally tormented Gsp. Rousey okay I'd go more in the jerk column for her still love watching holly holm kick her head off and kick away all the overhype around her and sending her into retirement (no way in hell she's coming back)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's true. I know a couple bullies of high rank, but they don't 'get it'. One is even a pretty good technician, so to speak, but because his soul is not in tune with what he is doing, he will not advance past the surface level of martial arts. Punch and kick? Sure. Understand? Never.
I'd say there are plenty of high level people in the martial arts who are bullies when it comes right down to it.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our mixed martial arts place has traditional expectations of respect. The kids particularly so. In fact the kids class often includes 5-10 mins of lectures on topics of respect and behavior.

Whats interesting is two of our instructors came from hard knock fighting schools , and have confessed to being jerks and getting into fights all the time outside of classes (and sometimes in classes). These former self confessed "jerks" - seem to be the hardest about respect and behaviors in our school as instructors.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A bully walks into a dojo.
A fly gets caught in a spider web.
A man gets run over by a truck.

Bully, fly and man are nouns, the subject of the sentence. None of which have a future. Not even a little one. I mean, c'mon, man.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have an environment where people can exert power over another then you can have bullies.

So you can get them in both.

I mean duchebags in mma is one example. Cults in tma is another.

Latest Discussions