Does Steven Seagal still teach Aikido?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know Steven Seagal was teaching Aikido the aggressive type of Aikido not sure what it is called.

Steven Seagal is from Lansing, Michigan and now living in Los Angeles. So I guess he has a dojo in Lansing and Los Angeles. Not sure what it is called or where his school is at or any web sites or videos on his schools.

But how do people like Steven Seagal teaching of Aikido? Is it too rough and gritty like?

Would Steven Seagal Aikido be more rough and gritty like Aikijujutsu and ninjutsu wrist locks and take downs?

Have people seen any youtube clips on how his schools is like? How they teach? The good and bad? Too aggressive type of Aikido or too mixed.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
No, not really. At least not teaching at a regular dojo

He abandoned his organization and its run by others for the most part.

He was teaching some aikido in Russia, it was hard to watch. He looked terrible.

Google "Steven Seagal aikido" and you will find all you need to know

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know Steven Seagal was teaching Aikido the aggressive type of Aikido not sure what it is called.

Steven Seagal is from Lansing, Michigan and now living in Los Angeles. So I guess he has a dojo in Lansing and Los Angeles. Not sure what it is called or where his school is at or any web sites or videos on his schools.

But how do people like Steven Seagal teaching of Aikido? Is it too rough and gritty like?

Would Steven Seagal Aikido be more rough and gritty like Aikijujutsu and ninjutsu wrist locks and take downs?

Have people seen any youtube clips on how his schools is like? How they teach? The good and bad? Too aggressive type of Aikido or too mixed.
The Aikido Seagal passed on was utilitarian and purposeful rather than gritty like?? - I do not know how you mean this term?? At the time it was engineered to work in real life perhaps faster than had been normal for then - but then which Aikido is not designed this way nowadays? Which Aikido do you not like?? Jx

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

There was a poster here that trained this flavor of Aikido, hopefully they will see this and answer your questions

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Years ago when I was working on the ambulance my partner was an Aikido practitioner whom had the pleasure of having Mr. Seagal instruct at his academy a few times. My friend said it was a harder version of what he did with some strikes thrown in as you would in a street situation. He loved the instruction.
We drove by the old studio in LA a couple of times but where on runs and could not stop as my boss would not allow us off the clock that long and we where based in Garden Grove

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Steven Seagal's Aikido is Aikikai Aikido. He is still affiliated with Hombu, and has never broken from the Aikikai. His aikido, some call Tenshin Aikido, is NOT a separate style. It's maybe a little flashier, but it's the same exact techniques that you will learn at any Aikido dojo. Here's a great discussion about this.

Tenshin Aikido What is the truth

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Steven Seagal's Aikido is Aikikai Aikido. He is still affiliated with Hombu, and has never broken from the Aikikai. His aikido, some call Tenshin Aikido, is NOT a separate style. It's maybe a little flashier, but it's the same exact techniques that you will learn at any Aikido dojo. Here's a great discussion about this.

Tenshin Aikido What is the truth

From what I read Steven Seagal's is too rough and teaching rough type of aikido.

Many people say when he got into Hollywood he changed and got more rough.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The Aikido Seagal passed on was utilitarian and purposeful rather than gritty like?? - I do not know how you mean this term?? At the time it was engineered to work in real life perhaps faster than had been normal for then - but then which Aikido is not designed this way nowadays? Which Aikido do you not like?? Jx

Aikido is a soft art the goal of Aikido is to get the attacker on the ground. The striking they do is more blocking or setting up for a wrist grab.

May be why people are saying Steven Seagal's is putting in more striking and too rough.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aikido is a soft art the goal of Aikido is to get the attacker on the ground. The striking they do is more blocking or setting up for a wrist grab.

May be why people are saying Steven Seagal's is putting in more striking and too rough.

People who say this either haven't really looked, haven't really seen, or haven't really experienced aikido.

Atemi accounts for 99% of Aikido.-Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score

No, it's not. The striking is often complimentary. We use strikes to maintain maai, distract our opponent, unbalance them, and to provide openings for other techniques. Seagal doesn't teach any more striking than other Aikido, his movies may show more flash, but they're movies, not reality. He's not really any rougher than other Aikikai shihan like Tissier.

As Elder noted, he's hard on his uke, but again, Steven Seagal does not practice or teach a separate style of Aikido.

Mike

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From what I read Steven Seagal's is too rough and teaching rough type of aikido.

Many people say when he got into Hollywood he changed and got more rough.
One of my Aikido training partners spent several years training under Steven Seagal. It was tough training.

I don't know where you get the understanding that Aikido is not rough. It is designed to take on the same bad guys that you would train for with any other martial art. It utilises punches, kicks and knees the same as the others and believe me, the strikes are devastating.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would also state that the goal of Aikido is not to simply "get the attacker on the ground". The goal is to neutralize the threat. Often, this is to the ground, but not always. Remember, Aikido ALWAYS assumes multiple attackers.....Sankyo can be used to not only neutralize one opponent, but you can actually use him as a shield too...

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The critics of Steven Seagal his he is too rough and when he got into the movie business he gone to the dark side and that not what Aikido is about.

You hear talk and phrase of Aikido is harmony.

Aikido, "The Way of Harmony." A martial art. Sound inconsistent? Not at all. Aikido is a non-violent discipline which develops harmony of movement and a high degree of concordance among the mind, the spirit and the body.

Aikido the Way of Harmony

he essence of O'Sensei's art lies in its ability to resolve conflict without bringing harm to oneself or one's attacker. "The Way of Harmony" or Aikido was officially recognized in 1942 and there are currently dojos, or practice halls, throughout the world.

Aikido O Sensei s Vision of a Non-Violent Self Defense Refine Your Power and Develop Leadership Skills at Two Cranes Aikido

There is no enemy in the true martial way (budo). True budo is a work of love. It is not killing or fighting; it is a work of creation and growth which gives life to and nurtures all things. Love is the
guardian deity of everything. Nothing can exist without it. Aikido is the realization of love." Morihei Ueshiba, Founder of Aikido

O Sensei's genius was to discover that applied nonviolence, stopping the fight with a unified body mind and spirit, is one of the most potent weapons human beings possess.

Aikido is a martial art and movement meditation created in the 20th century by Morihei Ueshiba,
O Sensei (1883-1969). His creation is Aikido, a defensive art form and a practice of mental and spiritual development rooted in the ancient Bushido tradition of Japan. Through training, practitioners cultivate self-awareness and resiliency, a powerful center and a calm spirit

Known worldwide as the Art of Peace, Aikido invites us to recognize the power of applied nonviolence as a way to foster peace in the world.

Aikido Sydney City - Martial Arts Sydney City Aikido Art of Peace - Non-violent Kids Adults Self Defense What is Aikido

The Japanese martial art of Aikido (pronounced “eye-key-doe”) is a beautiful and dynamic form of moving meditation and non-violent self-defence. It is often called ‘The Art of Peace’ due to its philosophy of non-violence. Aikido teaches us how to respond to aggression with compassion, and how to resolve conflict in positive ways. There are no offensive movements, no losers or competitions, and no-one is harmed. Aikido is about polishing our spirit and improving ourselves from within, about developing awareness and care for each other, and for our environment.

Japanese jiu jitsu also known as gentle art.

I think Aikijujutsu has more striking.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Aikijujutsu

I have not seen Aikido done in way like those videos of Aikijujutsu.

Sure I'm not sure where those phrase and talk harmony, soft hard,gentle art, love and peace than come from.

Unless like the above poster saying use striking to maintain maai, distract our opponent, unbalance them, and to provide openings for other techniques

not striking in way other arts use striking.

And I don't see any striking when the attacker is on the ground like I do in Aikijujutsu or some jujutsu schools. But they do have ways of putting the attacker in pins and holds on the ground if they want to.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Bruce Lee didn't grapple....:rolleyes:

"Did you see it?"

Perhaps the most important words in Japanese martial arts, because it's always there for those who have eyes to see it, but for others......it's just not there....

Last edited:

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I see a very nice artistic side to softer Aikido which to me is what its all about. It's practice. an art form. The harder you come in the harder they will go down. In most I can clearly see a deliberate stopping movement particularly in defense against weapons. In reality a sword cut stops a centimeter off the floor, not with outstretched arms in a 'please grab this' action. Its a wonderful art. Even the best sword techniques are defensive taking advantage of a committed attack.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I think I know what you are imagining yes.. I would say if there is a chance for you to go try this for your self, that would be a useful learning to see if this style is for you. It is difficult or impossible to grade how a particular style can ever suit your personal MA needs by theorising over it here.

Does not stop people trying though lol.

Hey good luck with your endeavours, Jx

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've been studying Tenshin Aikido (Seagals Ideology or method of aikido) for almost a year now.

From my observations and experiences in the Tenshin style it differs from the more traditional aikido by being more compact and angular compared to some of the more traditional aikido schools.

Tenshin also has a couple extra deflections that the traditional schools dont seem to have as well.

Take note im a noob in aikido with a CMA background and these are just my personal observations of the differences that i see between the more traditional ideology and the Tenshin ideology.

Im also glad i found a Tenshin school since I enjoy training in it and it does greatly compliment my previous martial arts background.

Latest Discussions