Does Race/Gender Play A Role In The Search For Missing Kids?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/despite-pleas-missing-sc-boy-falls-wayside-161557854.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Despite detectives' pleas to national media, the disappearance of an 18-month-old black boy with the wide smile has yet to grab the widespread attention given to other missing children's cases. Some advocates say the reason why may be as simple as the toddler's gender — and his race.
From the still-unsolved slaying of 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey more than 15 years ago to the disappearance and killing of 2-year-old Caylee Anthony, the public has watched with rapt attention as many cases involving young children unfolded, often over many months. Yet Amir Jennings, the little boy who hasn't been seen since he was captured on surveillance video with his mother in South Carolina nearly a year ago, has registered as scarcely a blip on the nation's consciousness.
"Media has always leaned toward the cute little kids," said Monica Caison of the Wilmington, N.C.-based CUE Center for Missing Persons. "And unfortunately, a lot of times they think cute little kids are white."

So, do you feel that race/gender plays a role, when it comes to searching for missing kids?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the media likes to choose which stories to put emphasis on.
I also like to think even if it it naive, that police
Work the case as THE CASE not by RACE OR GENDER.
A missing kid is still a kid that needs help and we as a society
need to remember that.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I forgot what they call it.
Cute white kids or pretty blond white females.

With all her flaws I 'think' Nancy Grace tried to counter act that, but instead she made it look like all children always get kidnapped....

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does it play a role? Of course it does. Should it play a role? Of course not.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Every now and then I get gripped with fear if anything should happen to my two baby nieces. Indian/Jamaican babies don't rank very high on the blond white girl scale.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions