Does Bow-flex ...

StrongFighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does Bow-flex have any competitors ? Just wondering what else is out there.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Crossbow by Weider, and Poweflex by Gold's gym

I bought a BowFlex years ago on recommendation of a friend of mine who is an LEO and it is a nice peice of equipment but IMO it is too expensive and it is best for rehab, it helped me alot after injury. However I would much rather work with free weights and body weight stuff.

But my friend loves the thing and keeps himself in pretty good shape with it so it depends on the buyer I guess

I actually got more out of the TotalGym I bought but again I still wold prefer free weights and body weight training

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as home gyms go, it really has no competition. Unless you want to get a fair bit of equipment. They are a very good piece of equipment, but they often end up as an expensive clothes rack.

Many a workout program on DVD only require a set of dumbells and a small space. You would be better off with those over the Bowflex. IMO.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many a workout program on DVD only require a set of dumbells and a small space. You would be better off with those over the Bowflex. IMO.
Better still... start out with those and then work your way UP to a Bowflex. While you're starting with simple dumbells you could save up your dimes and quarters and eventually have enough to make those four or five payments to own a bowflex....

the REAL trick to one of those however... is consistent use.

How many people have treadmills and other exercise machines and weights and mats and whatever else was sold to "improve your body in 60 days or less" laying around in the basements, garages, storage sheds of their homes?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I'm learning towards a bowflex. I'm looking seriously for a way to work out after work and haven't been too thrilled with the two gyms that are open at the time I leave work.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I could afford it I would own a Bow-Flex...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They can be found on Craig's List for a lot cheaper than retail.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or steal one on Ebay at the last second like I did! Got it for $25 dollars!

NO WAY! You got a Bow Flex for $25???? You scored. (How much was shippiing? ;) )

Ebay is a great place to look but I've found really great deals like that are hard to find, and if you REALLY want to win something, use an action stealer to bid in the last 20-30 seconds or someone else is bound to win it.

Good job winning that one. :asian:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you go to thrift stores (like I do), you learn that every thrift store in the world has a whole room full of treadmills and stationary bicycles (also bread makers, but that's another story). Generally no bowflexes.

That tells me that people don't give up the bowflexes, but they sure do give up the multi-thousand-dollar high-end treadmills.

Other than that, I don't know. Haven't used any of them. Looking for a cheap weight bench, but not sure I really want one yet (third floor apartment, don't want to make the downstairs neighbors unhappy).

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Total Gym is a fantastic product.

Many can be found in Physical Therapy shops being used for rehab.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you go to thrift stores (like I do), you learn that every thrift store in the world has a whole room full of treadmills and stationary bicycles (also bread makers, but that's another story). Generally no bowflexes.

Yeah I know cause I looked...

That tells me that people don't give up the bowflexes, but they sure do give up the multi-thousand-dollar high-end treadmills.

Yup...

Other than that, I don't know. Haven't used any of them. Looking for a cheap weight bench, but not sure I really want one yet (third floor apartment, don't want to make the downstairs neighbors unhappy).

Dont go cheap..Had one that almost flipped me over backwards and I only had about 75lbs on the bar...If anyone was a candidate for one of those space saving Bow-Flex models you are...They are supposed to have a credit program, I didnt qualify cause I had filed bankrupcy....

Last edited:

rhn_kenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've had a bow-flex for 2 years and it has exceeded my expectations in every area. If I had the time/space, yes, I'd prefer a fully equiped gym with both free weights and machines. But that is exactly the point of owning a bow-flex. They are ideal for people who don't have a lot of time/space, yet still want a good workout. There are some compromises, but if you put in the effort, you can get an amazing workout. I've also found mine to be reliable and easy to maintain.
R

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
How much resistance can you get out of one of them? How does that resistance feel comapred to freewieghts in things like squats?

Peace,
Erik

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How much resistance can you get out of one of them? How does that resistance feel comapred to freewieghts in things like squats?

Peace,
Erik

It depends on how many of the resistance Rods you hook up but, IMO, no you can't get the same from BowFlex as you can free weights. But if you are working out by yourself there is also much less chance of injury, again IMO, with BowFlex than free weights.

Latest Discussions