Doe's anyone recognise this form?

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a mpeg of Professor William Chow performing a form in 1966. Prof. Chow was one of the senior Hawaiian kenpo practitioners and pioneers. There have been claims that he also learned kung fu from his father, possibly Hung Gar.
Doe's anyone here recognise this form as a kung fu form?

http://www.kajukenboinfo.com/professor_chow.aspx

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope... can't say that I do. I've seen the pillars & sub sets of Hung Ga, along with a little "village" Hung Ga as well. Nothing resembled it there (to me) save the use of a claw hand shape.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's more karate than anything else from what I could see. Even the Fujianese short hand and Hakka stuff doesn't move or look like that.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gene Williams said:
It is just something else some American newbie made up, just like all of kajukenbo.
It looks like a mish-mash of various Karate and/or TKD kata. I don't know why his body wiggles so much, nor why it's done at Tai Chi speed depsite not being Sanchin. What I saw was not very impressive.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
It looks like a mish-mash of various Karate and/or TKD kata. I don't know why his body wiggles so much, nor why it's done at Tai Chi speed depsite not being Sanchin. What I saw was not very impressive.

I see mostly okinawan type bits in there, like rohai, and a tiny verbatim part of pinan 5 / heian 5. The slow speed is probably because of his emphasis at one point in his career on 'dynamic tension', and it resembles in a way how the folks from the Chun lineage do their tension forms. Specifically, I find it reminiscent of when Bill Chun Jr. was teaching his form "Tension 2" here on the East coast. Not exactly, but reminiscent.

Not much in the 'kung fu' sort of way to me, though, but my exposure is merely to Yao Lee's elementary long fist form, Tat Mau Wong's Siu Moy Fat Kuen, and some Tai Chi, so I'm not an expert on Kung Fu.

I really can't get too picky on his stuff, as he had a reputation for putting people who were trying to kick his *** in the hospital, so he must have been doing something right.

Matt

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't recognize it as a Hung-Ga set...actually, it looks like it has some influence from Okinawan karate. The resolution isn't that great...

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is just something else some American newbie made up, just like all of kajukenbo.

As opposed to something made up by an Asian? Not really seeing the point of that comment.

Latest Discussions