the Proliferation of forms in Southern Kung Fu

HarryJD

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Firstly, thanks Walter for that great post.

Secondly, to try to follow the enlightening glow from Walter's post, I wanted to illustrate something I have found strongly across many of the subjects, posts and opinions in this whole website.

It seems to me that everyone is talking about the fighting, combat, forms, techniques, styles, which is better, etc, etc, etc.
However I haven't found anyone talking about the other main aspects of 'martial arts', being the inherant philosopical & religious beliefs, meditations, health exercise and the more non-corporial aspects to the MA's.

To me, these aspects are just as important as the punch, as one cannot be true without the other. I only started reading the posts in this website a couple of days ago, so for all I know, it could be just for the fighting, corporial side of MA's. But if not, lets realize that these martial arts, most of them I should say, were born, not on the basis of anything but necessity, long ago and were simply a part of all of life and it's parts there-of.

Thanks,

Harry J.D.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Firstly, thanks Walter for that great post.

Secondly, to try to follow the enlightening glow from Walter's post, I wanted to illustrate something I have found strongly across many of the subjects, posts and opinions in this whole website.

It seems to me that everyone is talking about the fighting, combat, forms, techniques, styles, which is better, etc, etc, etc.
However I haven't found anyone talking about the other main aspects of 'martial arts', being the inherant philosopical & religious beliefs, meditations, health exercise and the more non-corporial aspects to the MA's.

To me, these aspects are just as important as the punch, as one cannot be true without the other. I only started reading the posts in this website a couple of days ago, so for all I know, it could be just for the fighting, corporial side of MA's. But if not, lets realize that these martial arts, most of them I should say, were born, not on the basis of anything but necessity, long ago and were simply a part of all of life and it's parts there-of.

Thanks,

Harry J.D.

From My POV that is because it is intrinsic to CMA not separate from. Look at East Asian Philosophy and Religion from an and it is not separated like it is in the west. It is all the same thing.

And I don't think I ever said anyone was better, but then this is an old post and I have not taken the time to reread it.

HarryJD

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I totally agree there. Unification really exists in a proper way in east Asian phil's.
No, I was just saying that I have seen amongst everything else that some ppl's opinions are based on which MA's are better than others, etc. that's all.
From my own point of view as a Daoist (Taoist), this is simply all that is needed to represent the whole, big picture:
:yinyang:

Harry J.D.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, I totally agree there. Unification really exists in a proper way in east Asian phil's.
No, I was just saying that I have seen amongst everything else that some ppl's opinions are based on which MA's are better than others, etc. that's all.
From my own point of view as a Daoist (Taoist), this is simply all that is needed to represent the whole, big picture:
:yinyang:

Harry J.D.

agreed