Location question

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am curious about Shanghai and Beijing

If one was to travel their, what styles would you expect to find?

Would a Westerner be allowed to train?

Would a Westerner be allowed to watch if not allowed to train?

Thanks

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I am curious about Shanghai and Beijing

1) If one was to travel their, what styles would you expect to find?

2) Would a Westerner be allowed to train?

3) Would a Westerner be allowed to watch if not allowed to train?

Thanks
1) Everything from contemporary wushu to traditional CMA

2) Sure. Your money is welcomed in most places, provided there's an open acceptance policy if it's a large school or university. In the parks, you may need an introduction but often if you just sit & watch, you'll be asked if you want to participate.

I know of at least 2 people in Beijing that teach in Tientan park that will teach you on a walk up & hand over cash.

In Shanghai, I'm not sure, but the Jing Wu school there has a German teaching Praying Mantis that takes people because it's a commerical CMA school.

3) See #2.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
1)
I know of at least 2 people in Beijing that teach in Tientan park that will teach you on a walk up & hand over cash.

What would be the average or expected price for a class? I understand per art, and instructor it will vary, yet there usually is an acceptable range.

Also, is this done in the open "The exchange of cash" or is this done on the side with a hand shake?

Thank you as I am curious.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
What would be the average or expected price for a class? I understand per art, and instructor it will vary, yet there usually is an acceptable range.

Also, is this done in the open "The exchange of cash" or is this done on the side with a hand shake?

Thank you as I am curious.
Rich... average or expected I couldn't begin to answer since it will vary from person to person.

As far as an open exchange, in Southern China (at least) that would be considered even now rude. I'd guess an agreed price prior to the lesson(s), then off to the side.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Rich... average or expected I couldn't begin to answer since it will vary from person to person.

As far as an open exchange, in Southern China (at least) that would be considered even now rude. I'd guess an agreed price prior to the lesson(s), then off to the side.

I expected this, but wanted to make sure, to avoid any cultural issues, that might arise.

Thank you