Does anyone make a small steel shot bag for hand training?

Invisibleflash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Born in L.A.-NYC is 2nd home-Rustbelt is home base
I had a Biltuff shot bag from many decades ago. It had lead shot inside so got rid of it as canvas could emit lead dust. Does anyone make a small steel shot bag for hand training?

It looked something like this, but much, much smaller. It fit in your hand. Maybe a few pounds. All red canvas with hanging metal circle. I liked to throw it up and grab it for training. Was perfect...except lead shot inside.

66026664_9_image.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try visiting a scuba shop and see if they have some dive weights that would work. They are essentially small bags filled with shot (I assume it is stainless steel and not lead) and come in different sizes in one-pound increments up to, probably over five pounds or so, maybe as high as ten. Different manufacturers use different material for the bag, so try a different shop if you don’t like what you find right away.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is something, looks like you can have it filled with steel shot. A quick internet search for scuba weights indicates they still tend to be filled with lead shot. Some of them do a special coating over the lead, but I still wouldn’t use it. Copper BBs would be a better alternative to lead as well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try visiting a scuba shop and see if they have some dive weights that would work. They are essentially small bags filled with shot (I assume it is stainless steel and not lead) and come in different sizes in one-pound increments up to, probably over five pounds or so, maybe as high as ten. Different manufacturers use different material for the bag, so try a different shop if you don’t like what you find right away.
Nope. Dive weights are lead.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is something, looks like you can have it filled with steel shot. A quick internet search for scuba weights indicates they still tend to be filled with lead shot. Some of them do a special coating over the lead, but I still wouldn’t use it. Copper BBs would be a better alternative to lead as well.
They also have five pounders. "The sandbag store." Who knew? I didn't.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used a bank/USPS coin bag & sand. You can get those on Amazon then a little work with needle and heavy duty thread (I used synthetic woven fishing line) and your bag is done, lead free and customized to your exact specs.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i have a wallbag with steel shot. Its essentially the same thing, just mounted on a solid wall.

Latest Discussions