Does a double-standard exist on the perception of retaliation by men or women right after an assault?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically—I said there is a clear physical disparity, and as a consequence of that, it would require compensation with extreme and explosive violence via a weapon in the event of a committed assault or rape…like a knife.
Is that how you said it? Because that sounds worded in a way to freak someone out who's not familiar with it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was explaining some basic stuff about the reality of women’s self-defense to a friend. It seemed like a pretty simple and tame introduction to me—but she was horrified by my advice.

Self-defense on paper is a straightforward matter. In real life, it’s deeply politicized. Two people will watch the same footage and reach completely different conclusions, based on what the “expert” says. That is, unless they experience self-defense for themselves, or they’re put through some RBSD scenarios that challenge their preconceptions.
Understanding the law around the issue is an important place to start, and it is understandable.

Being able to make intelligent SD decisions in the heat of an assault is, of course, more difficult. But it begins with understanding the law, which is within reach, as I have said.

I remain unconvinced that years of training in martial arts and/or RBSD is a requirement to do so. That training may be useful. But not required.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Have you been through a court case?

Understanding the law around the issue is an important place to start, and it is understandable.

Being able to make intelligent SD decisions in the heat of an assault is, of course, more difficult. But it begins with understanding the law, which is within reach, as I have said.

I remain unconvinced that years of training in martial arts and/or RBSD is a requirement to do so. That training may be useful. But not required.
I never said it’s a requirement—but gives a great appreciation for understanding where to draw the line.

Some people do need that reality check, which is part of why there are groups in the US that put civilians through police simulations to “bridge the gap.”

I agree, that the law on paper is easy to understand…but people don’t necessarily think about the law and it’s relationship with violence objectively in practice. I don’t want this to get political, but there are certain recent high-profile cases that illustrate my point perfectly.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never said it’s a requirement—but gives a great appreciation for understanding where to draw the line.

Some people do need that reality check, which is part of why there are groups in the US that put civilians through police simulations to “bridge the gap.”

I agree, that the law on paper is easy to understand…but people don’t necessarily think about the law and it’s relationship with violence objectively in practice. I don’t want this to get political, but there are certain recent high-profile cases that illustrate my point perfectly.
I appreciate you taking the time to clarify your position. There is probably more here that I can agree with than it initially seemed.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn’t know about these thresholds for citizens arrest!

Forgive me—what is CYA?

Like I said, check in the state you live in to see if they also have parameters for a citizen's arrest. I can only speak to Michigan.

CYA-Cover Your A--

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
These things happen, and sometimes they are deemed justified. As I said, it depends on the situation and the laws of the region, as well as the discretion of the prosecutors.

But understanding the concepts of what might be deemed too much is not difficult.
"Might" is the operative word. To many variables to accurately define.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I gave a much longer explanation, getting into the weeds of why this is.
Even if longer, if that is the tone and way you were explaining it, that's the reaction I would expect from most people unfamiliar with self defense. If anything, going into the weeds of it might make that worse.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s probably a fair assessment.

What do you have against jurors? They aren't some separate species without a brain in their heads. They are people like you and I who are doing their civic duty and have life experiences and are capable of reasoned thought. If they are simply swayed by whatever theatrics are thrown at them then they would need to decide in favor of both the prosecution and the defense at the same time. But that doesn’t happen when a verdict is reached.

Anyone can understand the fundamental legal concepts that rule one’s right to self-defense. It takes a small amount of education but is within reach of anyone who desires it. It does not take years of some kind of specialty training. When someone with those years of specialty training tries to claim that only those years of specialty training can give someone this understanding, I question the motives behind such a statement because that is clearly not based in reality.
Adding on, I can teach the necessary understanding and principles in less than an hour. There are nuances and specific elements that take longer, and it is a very good idea to have counsel present if you are being questioned by the police following an incident -- but the fundamental principles are not difficult.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Adding on, I can teach the necessary understanding and principles in less than an hour. There are nuances and specific elements that take longer, and it is a very good idea to have counsel present if you are being questioned by the police following an incident -- but the fundamental principles are not difficult.
Come to think of it—all it takes is running a few scenarios where bad guy goes from 0-100, and let them see how violent they have to get in order to stop it.

It’s knowing how to do it properly that takes awhile.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Even if longer, if that is the tone and way you were explaining it, that's the reaction I would expect from most people unfamiliar with self defense. If anything, going into the weeds of it might make that worse.
I certainly didn’t lead with that. I started with situational awareness, projecting confidence, what tools work for a given situation, the pitfalls of commonly promoted self-dense tools—and then I got into that stuff “if all else fails.”

Latest Discussions