Dodge a punch vs. interrupt a punch

FinalStreet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dodge is good like sword. Timing always , intercept if needed or less adept.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is an example of when your opponent punches at you, you punch him back at the same time. He uses his arm as a wedge to deflect the incoming punch and then punch back as one continuous move. Thus is very similar to the rhino guard strategy.

Adam-Tantui-app-1.gif

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is an example of when your opponent punches at you, you punch him back at the same time. He uses his arm as a wedge to deflect the incoming punch and then punch back as one continuous move. Thus is very similar to the rhino guard strategy.

Adam-Tantui-app-1.gif
Dodging and striking can also be a continuous movement. It just involves head movement and (generally) going to the outside rather than inside. I also personally find it safer than a counter-cross(although that is very effective).

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Adam-Tantui-app-1.gif
Dose this work?. Seems risky. For me I would feel more comfortable having one arm outward block and the other punching at the same time.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dose this work?. Seems risky. For me I would feel more comfortable having one arm outward block and the other punching at the same time.
Yes, it works. Block and strike with the same arm in the same motion. Not a move for beginners. I would have my other hand up to check, though. One can also block and strike with different arms at the same time as you mention. Both methods allow hitting the opponent on the half beat, before his second attack can be delivered. So while it can be done on the outside as Monkey mentioned, it is relatively safe on the inside as you have gained the advantage in timing and can easily follow up your counter.

I have learned the first, illustrated, technique in both EPKK and Okinawan style. The second method that you describe is present as well in most Okinawan styles. Both these methods were more common in the old pre-WWII days, before modern competition as they are not as dramatic as a strong 1-2 combination, but are more effective in actual combat.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would have my other hand up to check, though. .
This is why I prefer to use the rhino guard. When I use my left arm to deflect my opponent's right punching arm, my right arm also protect my head, and can be used to deflect my opponent's left punching arm if needed.

my-rhino-guard.gif

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is why I prefer to use the rhino guard. When I use my left arm to deflect my opponent's right punching arm, my right arm also protect my head, and can be used to deflect my opponent's left punching arm if needed.

my-rhino-guard.gif
Is the defender clenching his hands together? Doesn't look like it allows a quick counter. Seems an overly defensive attitude. Might work as a "rope a dope" tactic. Nice scenery, though.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is the defender clenching his hands together? Doesn't look like it allows a quick counter.
It's a trade off. Lock fingers together can give you the strongest structure with less mobility. To hold separate fists can give the most mobility with weaker structure.

The main goal for using rhino guard is to obtain a head lock.

Keegan-rhino.gif

Last edited:

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Will it be nice that when you see a punch that's coming toward your face, instead of to dodge it, you throw a punch to interrupt it?

Advantage? You will not be put into defense mode, and you won't be afraid any punch (because you have strong anti-missile system).

- Your opponent throws a left jab (your opponent sends a missile).
- Your throw a right curved jab at the same time (you send out anti-missile).

Your right curved jab go over your opponent's arm, press his left arm down, your right punch then land on his face. Even if your 1st curved jab may only function as to knock your opponent's jab down, your 2nd curved jab can still land on his head (similar to a right low hook, followed by a right high hook).

You should not allow your opponent's fists to fly in front of your face. You should try to develop a strong "anti-missile system" to guard your air space.

Your thought?
You would need a lot of speed, or a shorter distance to cover in order to make this work. Personally I like re-direction. If I see a punch coming towards me, especially if I am sparring with open handed gloves like those in MMA, I just push the forearm slightly. This works even better against kicks. Not only do I avoid being struck completely without using physical strength, a lot of the times it puts the opponents in an uncomfortable and unbalanced position. This is because the redirection results in the opponents limb crossing over to the other side of his body. With a block it would stay in place, and he would retract it, simultaneously leaving me open to an attack from his other limbs. But if I redirect it, and his left hand is on the right side of the body, I am safe from being punched by his other hand, and I can close the distance.

Latest Discussions