Doc and Mr. Planas

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was going to put this in my "seminar notes" but I think it merit being separate as it may either stray or die and in any case be different from the seminar notes. So here it is in it's own thread.

Based on notes about what Mr. Planas said as reported by me at:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7355&referrerid=391

Originally posted by cdhall
2. Kenpo Motto is "Accuracy, Power and (just enough) Speed (to make it work)
12. Being a good "Dummy" is better than being able to do a technique. It is harder. It takes more thought. A good "dummy" has to know how to react and why. It takes less expertise to execute a technique. To work your technique properly you need a good "dummy." Striking on a "statue" does not allow you to learn a technique well....

Along this line, Mr. Planas also said later that "At the higher levels, Kenpo is all about accuracy."

This seems to support what Doc says. I would like to know if Doc has discussed this or SL4 in general with Mr. Planas and if Doc knows if Mr. Planas has an opinion about SL4. If the question has merit of course. I don't want this to be taken as an affront. It just seemed to me that Mr. Planas must agree with Doc's basic tenent here and I'm curious if they have discussed it.
:asian:

As an interesting note Mr. Sullivan refers to ASP {like the serpent from Egypt}. Accuracy, Speed, Power.

EKP RIP

Big Pat:asian:

Speed is wonderful for those like Mr. Parker, Tommy Chavies and Larry Tatum who have it. Unfortunately, I've watched others try to imitate them and lose all accuracy and power attempting to get multiple strikes in quickly. Personally, I'm not naturally fast nor inately skilled as a fighter. If I could rewrite the Motto I would make it "Accuracy, Economy of Motion and Power."

The few times that I've seen films of Mr. Parker it is obvious that he had Accuracy, Speed and Power, but what impresses me is his absolute control. No Motion is wasted, both hands and legs are working simultaneously in an independent yet synchronous manner. I'm always impressed.

When I watch the best of the first Generation students I see that same Accuracy and power combined with economy of motion. Regardless of pesonal style differences it is the economy of motion which I feel ties them together.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Originally posted by Big Pat
As an interesting note Mr. Sullivan refers to ASP {like the serpent from Egypt}. Accuracy, Speed, Power.

EKP RIP

Big Pat:asian:

Is that where that came from? Someone said it at the seminar, but if you check the other thread I report that Mr. Planas favored Accuracy, Power, Speed.

Thanks for the source on that ASP business. I didn't know that.
:asian:

An interesting note, I heard this weekend about Mr. Parker referring to "Subterranean Targets," and exploring striking these with some of his senior students, along with "cavity strikes."

Does this lend any legitimacy to Doc Chapel’s SL-4? I will not venture to guess what other's think, but I think that it may have been the starting point for the SL-4 name that developed with he and Edmund.

-Michael

Originally posted by Michael Billings
An interesting note, I heard this weekend about Mr. Parker referring to "Subterranean Targets," and exploring striking these with some of his senior students, along with "cavity strikes."
-Michael

is interesting--heard from whom?

As I mentioned in my recent thread about my attendance at a seminar with Mr. Planas . . . he does put these three attributes of kenpo in this order.

He has been saying for many years (as witnessed on his 'Kenpo Basics' tape), . . .they can touch you 15 times in two seconds, but they can't hit you at that speed . . .

He also talks about the 'minor' and 'major' as being equal to 'hard' and 'harder' force hits.

Now, I have been avoiding the thread on 'Sub - Level 4' because it sounds like it is out of the 'X-Files' or something .. I supposed I should go read that now.

Good Day --- Mike

Back