Chinese zombie guard

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A double hand long block is a basic technique in Muay Thai. Granted as far as I can tell it is used momentarily to keep someone from clinching or landing a knee strike, but it is 101 Muay Thai.
The double long guard is also used in Chinese wrestling to keep your opponent from clinching. At the same time, you want to control his elbow joints inside and on top. It also called "cucumber guard". I assume the stiff arm look like cucumber.

Chang_zombie_guard.JPG

Attachments

• Chang_cucumber_vine.jpg
    Chang_cucumber_vine.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never stay in the same guard/stance very long, I like to move and change things. However, I really like to use the two armed long guard against boxers. You have to know how to box first, obviously. And it's not something you would stay in for a prolonged time. But it gives them fits.

I love boxing, always have. But I love messing with boxers so very much more. (but it comes from a good place. Sorta)

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never stay in the same guard/stance very long, I like to move and change things. However, I really like to use the two armed long guard against boxers.
The way that I look at this is, if your fists are close to your

1. own head, you have to deal with your opponent's punch with full power and full speed.
2. opponent's head, you can block his punch during the early stage before his punch has generate full power and full speed.

2 is much better than 1.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I find a video that a short guy uses the Chinese zombie guard (stiff arms guard) against a taller striker. It proves that you don't need long arms to make this strategy work.

View attachment 28825

It's easy to see that how you can use it to achieve a quick clinch. If your opponent

- punches you, you move in.
- don't punch you, you still move in.

What's your opinion on this strategy?

Tai Chi guy is a freak. He would've won if they didn't have that ridiculous rule of "10 sec on the ground only". Doubt if he will last too long with that kind of damage each time he fights though.