Do you know your Kwan Lineage?

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our organization is affiliated with the Chung Do Kwan. Our lineage is as follows:
Me--->Tae Zee Park--->Woon Kyu Uhm--->Won Kuk Lee

Chung Do Kwan translates either as Blue Wave School" or "Pure Way School" depending on who you talk to.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To e ship yuk:

All that I can say regarding the police work was that it was a very rough time in Korea at that time, when He was involved with that. I know that there were "gangsters" who would cause trouble and the people in the place where my GrandMaster lived would call on him and others to dispell them, make them go away, beat them up, or whatever. He said that there was a lot of trouble.

I cannot say that he was from Seoul though. I do know that he was born in a very small town, very small. He said that that place was so small that there was a joke about how you could miss it travelling through it.

And, yes, we did not ask too many questions or talk very much, but rather were told to get back to practicing the techniques. "Go practice", He would say.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor's main influence (in getting to first dan) was Chang Moo Kwan. He also had a lot of Oh Do Kwan influence (as he lived in the UK before and after getting his 1st Dan in Germany).

I now know back a bit further than I did 2 days ago (as I only discussed this with him last night):

LEE Nam-Suk > ...? > HWANG Chae-Pok > Carl Lees > Me

If anyone knows if GM Hwang was directly GM Lee's student or can fill in the gaps, I'd appreciate it (GM Hwang trains in Dusseldorf Germany).

P.S. Hello to everyone I know on here, been real busy with work recently but I'm back now :)

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Mine is Chung Do Kwan and the lineage is Gary Cooper--->his father, Robert Cooper--->Son----->Won Kuk Lee.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Guess mines pretty straight forward compared to most, it being Oh Do kwan linage!

Me>>> Dave Bryan & John Pepper (My instructors) >>> Arthur De Silva & Raymond Choi >>> Ki H Rhee >>> General Choi >>> Unknown Karate Instructor (some say a Mr Kim others Funakoshi himself) >>> Anko Itsosu, Matsumara etc etc

Stuart

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As near as I can figure:

Instructor Chris Rowe < Master Dan Zaleski < Grandmaster C.K.Choi < Master Woo Jong Lim < Gen. Choi Hong Hi

Latest Discussions