Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

• Yes, I can trace my training lineage back to the founder.

• Well, I am vaguely aware about some of the people who taught my instructor(s).

• No, but I would like to know.

• Who cares? I am only interested in my training under my current instructor(s).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, he is, shame that I had to move away so only catch up with him a couple of times a year, although through mail, facebook and phone we are always in contact. :)

Pwen Arye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes I know my lineage well.

Chinese kempo: me> anthony price> martin buell>adriano emperado and walter godin

Krav Maga: me> anthony price> marty cale

BJJ : me> john oliverio > roberto traven> romero clavacanti> rolls gracie> helio gracie> carlos gracie> mitsuyo maeda

zenshack

White Belt
Reaction score
My Kempo can be traced through Olaf Simon (yeah, that guy) & Margie Hilbig to Ed Parker and so on.

Evolution of the style:

Zen Karate: 1961-1967
Moo Kempo (Kenpo) Karate: 1967-1972
Moo Kempo Kung Fu: 1972-1986
Moh Pai Kempo Kung Fu: 1986-Now
Pai Hu Shih: 1986-Now

The Styles of Moh Pai Kempo Kung Fu - Zenshack

Michael Williams

White Belt
Reaction score
Great Grandmaster James Masayoshi Mitose (1916-1981)
Professor William Kwai Sun Chow (1914-1987)
Sr. Grandmaster Edmund Kealoha "Ed" Parker, Sr. (1931-1990)
Jay Thomas Will (1942-1995)
Daniel H. "Dan" Distelhorst

Me (2nd degree Brown, so far)

SteyrAUG

White Belt
Reaction score
Mine's actually pretty easy.

Ed Parker > Mike Allen (First Gen Parker Black Belt) > Me.

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
SGM Parker------->Larry Tatum----------->Jeanna Weltha_--------->me
SGM Parker------- >Al & Jim Tracey-------->John latourette---------->Terry Grant---------->me

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

swhitney222

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I would like to know more about my lineage could anyone help.

I am looking to do some research in finding out were my own line or lineage came from. definitely not doing this to put down or discredit anyone. I had a teacher that after 15 years of training with him and making it up the ranks of 2nd Black belt (in his version of American Kenpo not Ed Parkers Kenpo) I was banished. I never knew who taught him in what he said was American Kenpo. so if anyone knows of who taught Mike Agbay (3rd degree black belt in American Kenpo) his school is MJA Martial Arts in Sturbridge MA. I know he grew up in the Worcester MA area. We are not on speaking terms unfortunately and he would not tell anyone who taught him or how he acquired his rank. So like I said this is not to discredit or put down him, but to find out the history of were my own training originated from.

Thanks

Shawn

InstWill

White Belt
Reaction score
GM James M Mitose---Late GM William KS Chow---Great Grandmaster Ralph Castro--- Senior Grandmaster Rick Alemany--- Prof. John Nash--- Me

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Required and Elegant = 2 different animals.
But if the guy, you want mentioned, is three teachers back, so might be
cumbersome, and wouldn't it make you more uncomfortable if he only spoke of one of the teachers after, Mr. Tatum? :) Also, It is important to remember Mr. Speakman was already a Black Belt before studying Kenpo.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
But if the guy, you want mentioned, is three teachers back, so might be
cumbersome, and wouldn't it make you more uncomfortable if he only spoke of one of the teachers after, Mr. Tatum? :) Also, It is important to remember Mr. Speakman was already a Black Belt before studying Kenpo.
True, AND he did his studies to GET to his black belt in KENPO, under Mr. Tatum. Even if he got picked up by Mr. P after that, the main guy who taught him most of the corpus of the kenpo system was NOT Mr. P. It seems good form, IMO, to mention those along the way. I have some past teachers I'm not too fond of, but still -- the time they spent bending my knees and drilling my forms deserves the respect of "honorable mention", at least.

SenseiHitman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
James Wonser
I am curious about how many of you pay attention to your Kenpo lineage and whether that knowledge is important to you.

- Ceicei
I received my 5th degree black belt in Kenpo from a student of Professor James Wonser named Shihan Rocky Rolph in December 2008. Professor Wonser founded The Way of Kempo. When I search for James Wonser Way of Kempo it leads me here but I can't find the entry from someone who has his name and Way of Kempo listed in it. I am hoping to find other students of James Wonser. Can you help me?
I met Professor Wonser at a Tom Connor Traco school in Mesa AZ in the late 1980s run by Peter Hill. Wonser tested me for 1st degree black belt in Kenpo in October of 1992, Professor Wonser and I were both students of Shihan Rolph. He taught us Tsuru Michi Ju jitsu. James Wonser and Rocky Rolph taught each other there systems. They both completed their training in each others styles. They were together for nearly 12 years before going there separate ways.

Latest Discussions