Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

• Yes, I can trace my training lineage back to the founder.

• Well, I am vaguely aware about some of the people who taught my instructor(s).

• No, but I would like to know.

• Who cares? I am only interested in my training under my current instructor(s).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am curious about how many of you pay attention to your Kenpo lineage and whether that knowledge is important to you.

- Ceicei

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I am curious about how many of you pay attention to your Kenpo lineage and whether that knowledge is important to you.

- Ceicei
I can trace my lineage being a second generation BB just fine. However, I more concur with the idea that it is not that important to me. My vision of the art is very much that given to me by my instructor. I got to meet Mr. Parker, attend a few seminars, and even hang out with him and a few others in his living room. It was great meeting the person my instructor talked about non stop, but I was really in no position to be influanced by Mr. Parker one way or the other. Mr. Parker was important to me because he was important to my instructor, and I hope to someday fully appreciate my proximity to Mr. Parker. I do appreciate it more and more as time goes by. In the back of my mind though, I really owe my love of the art to the example set by my instructor, hands down. I hope this post didn't seem in anyway disrespectfull; I was just trying to be realistic. :asian:
Sean

G

Gary Crawford

My instructors were Joe and Jess Mora,who were taught by Al Tracy,who was taught by Mr.Parker

R

RCastillo

All the people that have helped me have been taught by Master Al, and he has taught me, and tested me all the way.

David Williams
John Fite
Dave Hopper
plus a few others that have slipped my memory

However, I own Texas now, and sit nicely on my throne as I survey my Kingdom. :supcool:

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Currently I am under Mr. Jeff Lujan of the Universal Kenpo Federation headed by Mr. Pick who as many of you know was with Mr. Parker's since the 50s and never left Mr. Parker except to join the Marine Corps for Vietnam and then returned. (wow what a runnon sentence).

R

RCastillo

Goldendragon7 said:
Humph :jedi1 :

Uh, no, I did not forget the Goldendragon! Though he has somewhat of a Tracy past of sorts,(skeltons in the closet) I didn't want to list him cause then he's gonna yell at me.

He's in a special catgotry: The Ed Parker American Kenpo liason. Kinda like a diplomat with powers of immunity. :uhyeah:

C

c2kenpo

I can trace my lineage From
Mr. Dennis Lawson ~ Mr. R.S. Mitchell ~ Mrs. Melody Mitchell
Mr. Brian Heinz - Mr. Skip Hancock
Mr. Ed Parker Sr.

Although I don't belive that the linage has as much to do with the overall knowledge base because you do learn to make the lessons of Kenpo your own, it is fun to see where you come from at times. Just like your own personal family tree.
With the opportunites I have had to train with many Kenpoists from all over, I can firmly say that I would add each and every one of them into my own personal lineage as they have all had a profound affect on me, and even tho I never personally was able to train with Mr. Parker Sr. his teachings are still today simply a joy to study.
In no paticular order.

Mr. Jeff Speakman
Mr. Ed Parker Jr.
Mr. John Sepulveda
Mr. Dennis Conatser
Mr. Zach Whitson
Mr. Gill Hibben
Mr. Richard "Huk" Planas
Mr. Sean Kelly
Ms. Jacki McVicar
Ms. Doreen Cogliandro
Mr. Benny "The Jet " Urquidez
Mr. Bob White
Mr. Steve LaBounty
Mr. Paul Dye

To those on this list and those that have yet to become a part of my Kenpo Journey, my deepest thanks and best wishes.

David Gunzburg

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, real easy.
A.C. Rainey
David Hebler
S.G.M. Parker

That's the tree version of it. I have also spent a little time with Mr. Hebler as my "helper" in a Seminar I was teaching. Really cool and kinda threw me when he asked, but he wanted to be my assistant for the class... I never really trained with him, don't mis-understand. Just some good conversation.
:asian:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know my lineage now. There were some unclear links until MartialTalk and the KenpoNet helped me to find the people who could fill in the blanks.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll give credit where it is due. My first instructor was Matt David of unknown lineage, Mr Bleeker claimed him at one point in a conversation I was having. However, My "true" lineage is Skip Hancock and Mr. Parker.
Sean

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here's a list of my instructors:

Larry Tatum (Current Instructor)
Clyde O'Briant (Current Instructor)
Bryan Hawkins
Wes Idol
Frank Trejo
Larry Kongaika

:asian:

S

sierra don

My instructor is Mr. Howard Silva, who's instructor was Mr. Ed Parker.

Don

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Trained under Glen Coolican, who was under Phil Cawood, who was under Gary Ellis, who was under Bob Rose, who was under SGM Parker if I have it right.

Ian.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dual Lineage:

Ed Parker
Tommy Burks
Me

Tracy to American Kenpo

Mitose
Chow
Ed Parker
Steven Labounty
Gary Swan
Brian Duffy
Me

1986-87 Split (after my Shodan from the NCKKA)

Brian Duffy left the Chinese Kenpo system and became one of Mr. Parker's students. I tested for 2nd Black with Mr. Parker in 1989. Was my lineage?

Ed Parker
Brian Duffy
Me**

**(I have to note Howard Silva in here somewhere, as my Mentor or "Uncle" in the Art, while he taught advanced classes for a year at Mr. Duffy's, following our joining the IKKA, he helped enormously with my transition to American Kenpo and the watchmaker phase of my learning beginning.)

I am sooooo confused. All I know is I got a great foundation in the Iron Worker school vis a vis Sigung Labounty, Gary Swan, Brian Duffy ... then entered the Watchmaker phase. But boy it took a long time for me to transition, and there is still something to be said for focusing on the Ironworker school of "punch their heart out", I just don't remember if applied to the opponent, or the number of reps we had to do.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heck, I don't even have a map Brudda. You figure in there as one of the "uncles" who showed us the Dark Side. I saw how I wanted to move while you were travelling with "the man" and showing us the way!

Kudos,
-Michael

Latest Discussions