Do you have a progressive mind set?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Exactly. But it would be unwise to assume your opponent shares your inability, don't you think?
Where did you get the idea I assume the opponent cannot do it? All I said is I don't think it's wise to do it. I would like you to point out where I said I assume people won't do it just because I don't think it's wise.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of cause, people do flying kicks, high kicks in real fights. Is it wise? That's a completely different question. Can you do flying kicks in the bar cold, without warmup?
You keep trying to personalize this. And that's silly. There are, absolutely, people who can do high kicks and flying kicks cold, without warmup.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Find one example of the kung fu side kick to the knee that someone has used in a street fight.
We train that Kick (assuming you mean kung fu flying kick to knee) in Jow Ga but that kick is more difficult than the flying side kick that you see most people do. I haven't done one in a long time and I just tried and lets just say that I look like a beginner. lol. This kick is more of a jump kick than a flying side kick. But you jump up and towards the person and as you fall towards the person you extend your leg and the full weight of your jump lands on the knee. Not sure if that's what you were thinking of.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
because MA school discourage student to attack the opponent's knee? I know my TKD school would not allow us to do it in sparring.
Schools don't discourage in a street fight. They discourage training it because you run the risk of a student blowing out another student's knee. Now as the owner of the school, you may have lost students because of this because no one wants to learn martial arts by getting their knee kicked in. Then you place yourself in legal risk for negligence.

It has been in my personal experience that the schools who train it do so with their advance students who have control and the kick is never thrown hard or in full contact sparring. When they train the kick it's in a very controlled sparring situation where the purpose isn't to "win" in sparring.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You keep trying to personalize this. And that's silly. There are, absolutely, people who can do high kicks and flying kicks cold, without warmup.
So you can't doing it.

Show me where I personalize this. Just because I cannot do it, then I cannot say it's not wise to do flying kicks in real fight? I don't think you read before you response.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would like to see that, at older age, cold and do a flying kick in a fight effectively. when you are young, it's not as bad. BUT as you get older, try do just a high kick without stretching, forget the flying kick.
That's why I think not doing the flying side kick is the progressive thing. I think after a certain age and weight, the flying side kick becomes more of a liability. That's how most things are in life. Skate board tricks as a teen and in your 20's are fine. But as you get older, the skate board tricks that you were once good at become a liability. People tend to lose flexibility and endurance as they get older so Older people are more likely to train things that make the fight end quicker, because they know that the longer the fight goes, the bigger the disadvantage will get.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Schools don't discourage in a street fight. They discourage training it because you run the risk of a student blowing out another student's knee. Now as the owner of the school, you may have lost students because of this because no one wants to learn martial arts by getting their knee kicked in. Then you place yourself in legal risk for negligence.

It has been in my personal experience that the schools who train it do so with their advance students who have control and the kick is never thrown hard or in full contact sparring. When they train the kick it's in a very controlled sparring situation where the purpose isn't to "win" in sparring.
Yes, they don't exactly say no, they don't allow you to do it is sparring and don't practice much. At least this is true in my school. So student don't get use to kicking low. I never even thought much until I see it in UFC and see the effectiveness.

It's more a habit if people don't use it on the street, not that they don't know how.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's why I think not doing the flying side kick is the progressive thing. I think after a certain age and weight, the flying side kick becomes more of a liability. That's how most things are in life. Skate board tricks as a teen and in your 20's are fine. But as you get older, the skate board tricks that you were once good at become a liability. People tend to lose flexibility and endurance as they get older so Older people are more likely to train things that make the fight end quicker, because they know that the longer the fight goes, the bigger the disadvantage will get.
I started TKD when I was 31, that's OLD already. I knew my limits, that I have to stretch to do high side and round kicks, these are not going to help in street fight, you cannot tell the guy......WAIT!!! Let me warm up first before we fight!!!

So at the time, I decided to put a lot of effort in punching and front kicks instead of the fancier kicks even I was learning TKD. I said I cannot do flying kicks, I really did not try that hard. After tried a few times, I just laughed it off. If I felt it's important, I would go to the end of the world to achieve it.

Speaking of what I think is important. I feel punching is very important. I spent a lot of time in practicing it. I responded in another Wing Chung thread about coordinating the foot, heel, legs, hip, waist and shoulder to focus at one point, Very similar to the concept of Chinkuchi of Okinawa Karate to synchronize the body. I practice a lot those days and I was quite good using it in punching. Since I quit, I still do bag work all these years. BUT I just went through the motion. Lately, I found I LOST IT all together.

Remember you showed a video of doing it in slow motion. That really rang the bell on me that I have to go back TO BASIC starting like how I started the first time, do it slow, do it light, take the time. It's been over two months, I still starting out like this at least for a few minutes and practice the punching back. I can only get the feel of Chinkuchi on and off after over two months( more off than on!!!). that video you did was important to me.

Point is if I really feel I need to practice flying kicks, I would go to the world's end to do it like I am trying to get back the punches. I don't even consider side kick is that practical even I could do it really good at the time. Why do I want to even use flying kicks?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you can't doing it.

Show me where I personalize this. Just because I cannot do it, then I cannot say it's not wise to do flying kicks in real fight? I don't think you read before you response.
Where do you personalize it? Every time you ask if I can do something. For the record, I can. But that is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if I can do it, or if you can do it. What matters is the incontrovertible fact that there are absolutely, positively, 100% people who can do it.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Where do you personalize it? Every time you ask if I can do something. For the record, I can. But that is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if I can do it, or if you can do it. What matters is the incontrovertible fact that there are absolutely, positively, 100% people who can do it.
So when you insist that I cannot do it, that's why I discount it is NOT personalizing? Maybe I should stop, you can ban me.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wu Tang Flying Magie kick...haha
I knew a guy who was a massive Film Fan. Had loads of Videos of this Hong Kong kung fu stuff and even Godzilla Films...when we drunk beer together we watched them. Honestly I laughed so hard.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Starting to learn at 31 is old. Of cause you practice when you were young, at 31 or even 51 is ok. Not if you just start at 31 from white belt.
31 is old for TKD. Most do start as Teens. Tried it at 27. Hated it. Was fit enough but all that kicking was not me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So when you insist that I cannot do it, that's why I discount it is NOT personalizing? Maybe I should stop, you can ban me.
I'm not insisting that you cannot do it. YOU said you cannot do it.
Starting to learn at 31 is old. Of cause you practice when you were young, at 31 or even 51 is ok. Not if you just start at 31 from white belt.
I've had a student start when she was 67. My wife started when she was in her 50's. 31 is nothing.

Latest Discussions