Do it again!

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We all know the great key to mastery is repetition. But how much repetition do you do?I've been cross-training in Dux FASST and often we will do one concept 100 times each person, and then we switch.

I applied it to my primary art, Shaolin Kempo, with my training partner.Granted, there was a time constraint, so got to 45 times each and we broke it up into sets of 20 and 25, but the result was amazing. Normally we try to get a couple of every technique we have, but we focused on our latest one only this time. i got a lot of insight into the technique, and at my next lesson, I ended up asking questions I wouldn't even have thought to ask before. punching in with other people my rank, they seemed clunky and slow with the technique compared to my partner, and the take-down I had issues with before is now a cinch!

So how much repetion do ya'll do?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
everything we do is in sets of fifty and we do about 5-10 sets per tech.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ever wonder why you always see BJJ practitioners execute the same moves in fights over and over again?

Ever wonder why even though the opponent may know what's coming next, he still can't defend it?

We are almost predictable: take down, pass guard, mount, armbar. Or: take down, pass guard, mount, pound the guy until he turns over, take the back, rear naked choke.

It's because the philosophy of BJJ is "we would rather have 20 moves at 100%, than 100 moves at 20%.

I have been practicing BJJ for about 8 months, and I have practiced the basic armbar no less than 500 times. I can almost do it in my sleep.

I believe this is part of the effectiveness of BJJ.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We all know the great key to mastery is repetition. But how much repetition do you do?I've been cross-training in Dux FASST and often we will do one concept 100 times each person, and then we switch.

I applied it to my primary art, Shaolin Kempo, with my training partner.Granted, there was a time constraint, so got to 45 times each and we broke it up into sets of 20 and 25, but the result was amazing. Normally we try to get a couple of every technique we have, but we focused on our latest one only this time. i got a lot of insight into the technique, and at my next lesson, I ended up asking questions I wouldn't even have thought to ask before. punching in with other people my rank, they seemed clunky and slow with the technique compared to my partner, and the take-down I had issues with before is now a cinch!

one of the hardest things is to get the under belts to focus with intensity on repetion of a technique or a form. Depth of learning and muscle memory and understanding and , more importantly (as you said) questions come from repetion. I use it as a primary tool in my teaching and training (and i could do better in my training, to be honest) Prof. I requires 10000 repetions of each requirement from white to the 4th degree material (and you start counting only at 4th) in order to be considered for a 5th degree test...and he himself daily practices repetion as an example...but mainly becuase i think he understands the secret of being a martial artist.

Thanks for this post and reminder

Respectfully,
Marlon

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is repetition on it's own is not bad, but you had better make sure that you are doing the moves with correct mechanics, or all you wind up with is muscle memory for bad technique.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is repetition on it's own is not bad, but you had better make sure that you are doing the moves with correct mechanics, or all you wind up with is muscle memory for bad technique.

yup! excellent point...right down to the basics of postural alignment, hips, elbows and shoulders.
thanks

Marlon

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or... as my teacher used to say,
People have lied to you your whole life! Practice doesn't make perfect! PERFECT practice makes perfect!

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score

You have found the "Secret" to martial arts!!

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's good to see that you recognize the benefit of repetition in your training. Most people view it as boring and unneeded. Imagine the progress you will make if you keep it up with the same technique over the next couple of weeks. I agree with what someone else here said "you have just discovered the secrets to the martial arts."

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

excellent point, everything must be correct for the benefit to work

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, 2000-3000 times...over and over...the idea is build in your mind to become a natural instinct....just like when someone throws a ball to you..when you don't expect it....yet your hands or body moves automaticly...

do it over and over till it becomes AUTOMATIC....the true sign of a black belt or skill martial artist..

When one learns to "DUCK" ..comes from experiences...can be learn quicker this way!

Selling "ducks" ....two for one special...suggest buying by the 10's.

Atthe golf course near our home...have ducks swimming in the water holes

Aloha, Chinese duck...taste the best

Latest Discussions