DK Yoo Awesome Martial Artist? Fighter? hmmm You decide

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I always like to see people put their "money where their mouth is." In other words don't just talk big and look big. Show everyone that you are willing to put something on the line. Like they say "Put up or Shut up."

So on that note. DK Yoo has done just that. For those who don't know DK Yoo. Watch this video. The guys is fast. Looks like he has a lot of skills. He's taught big seminars all over the world and knows 15 Martial Arts According to the video.

So today is day the rest of you who haven't seen this video, will finally know if DK Yoo can really apply his skills. You'll be as thrilled as I was, because this was always on my mind. lol. I actually found this video when I was searching for Baton and Cane fighting techniques that weren't Bull. Not quite sure how Baton = DK Yoo in the ring but here it is.. The truth of DK Yoo..

For Martial Arts perspective

From @Terrible Tim Witherspoon I watched this a second time just to see what your thoughts were lol. Tim ha ha ha.. you are either in Business or you are the most positive guy in the world or both ha ha ha.. You aren't a "Glass Half Full Guy." You are a "Glass Full Guy" "Glass filled half with water and half with air = a full glass" ha ha ha. But keep on with being who you are. This place could use a lot of positive stuff. But today, I'm going to speak my mind after watching many of his videos. lol. Sometimes people put themselves in bad situations by claiming to be more than what they are. DK Yoo has just stepped in that box.

You are definitely passion about boxing. Based on DK Yoo's professional dealings with self-defense and "fighting" Bradley was actually the Under Dog lol.

My personal thoughts on this.. Damn DK Yoo. I'm very disappointed. I would at least thought that you would have have the Boxing skills that you claimed to have or that someone claimed for you. Between Boxing and Martial Arts. Boxing is much easier. Learning TMA is difficult, especially because of how many schools teach it. But this guy. Whew!. Well that's all I'll say about it. Lots of disappointments probably more because I know he got paid a lot of money to "teach others how to fight" And this is all that we get? Fight how you train.

For me. it's ok to lose a fight so long as you lose it with what you train. That means you came out represented your system and gave it your best. But if you have been training for 20+ years in martial arts and this is the best that it gets? Come on now. That's what I dislike the most. Represent your system. I don't like Wing Chun and I've said that many times before. But at least Wing Chun practitioners come out and they actually try to use Wing Chun. Doing that will only make them better at Wing Chun. So even if Wing Chun loses that day. They would gain more knowledge about applying their fighting system. You can build off that. DK Yoo can't say the same thing. At least fight someone in the same weight class. Don't make things more difficult than it needs to be.

I strongly believe that people fight the way they train to fight.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Boxing is a lot harder than people think it is.
I didn't say it was easy. I said, "Between Boxing and Martial Arts. Boxing is much easier."
Boxing.
1. Jab
2. Hook
3. Cross
4. Straight
5. Upper Cut
6. Overhand.

Martial Arts have those 6 + additional ones
7 Backfist
8 spinning backfist
9. Knife hand
10. Ridge hand
11. Palm strike
12 Vertical punch
13. Diagonal punch
14 Hammer fist
15. Chop
16 Spear hand
17. Elbow strike
18. Chin na

And that's just some of the common ones. It doesn't include any of the kicks, throws, sweeps, knees, and grappling that is also found in many martial arts systems. That's why I have a lot of respect for Wing Chun martial artist who try to spar and fight using the techniques they train. Traditional Martial artist are also at a disadvantage simply by the number of sparring hours that many school actually use. I'm not saying Boxing is an easy thing to do. But it's easier than trying to learn to fight in many traditional martial arts systems. Compare the number of boxing students who actually spar with the number of martial artists in a school that actually spar.

Compare how Boxing has coaches who have actual experience boxing in the ring vs Martial Teachers who may have never used there techniques in sparring let alone in competition. So yeah Martial Arts is harder. lol How many people did DK Yoo teach? What was his actually sparring experience or fight experience?

Learning to fight from a person who has never used the technique in a real fight or in a sparring match makes this a lot harder. If Boxers trained the way that some of the Martial Artists trained and learned from people without experience in using the technique. Then I would be saying Boxing is harder than Martial Arts.

One of the best martial arts coaching videos out there for learning how to fight with Kung Fu. Out of the 2 minutes of sparring their teacher only asked for 3 things.
1. Clean Technique
2. Technique from form
3. No boxing. No boxing hand

I can press keys on a piano all day long. I can do piano drills all day long. But I'll never be able to play a song on the piano until I practice playing a song using my piano skills.

Fighting is like that to. A person can practice jabs and do all the drills. But that person will never be able to fight with boxing until they practice fighting using boxing. This is what most martial artist don't do.

If it takes 700 hours of practicing playing piano to get this good. How many hours of practicing fighting, using the techniques that you rain, do you think it will take for you to get good? How many hours a year do you think most Martial Artist spend sparring? Is it really enough hours to actually learn something? And that's only if you actually trying to use the techniques. A martial artist can spend 700 doing basic kicks and punches in sparring, and they would still be bad fighting with the other system specific techniques. Most martial arts schools probably spar less than 52 hours a year. I was doing a little more than 104 hours a year worth of sparring experience. However, before I started the sparring classes. It was like maybe 10 hours a year, if that many.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't say it was easy. I said, "Between Boxing and Martial Arts. Boxing is much easier."
Boxing.
1. Jab
2. Hook
3. Cross
4. Straight
5. Upper Cut
6. Overhand.

Martial Arts have those 6 + additional ones
7 Backfist
8 spinning backfist
9. Knife hand
10. Ridge hand
11. Palm strike
12 Vertical punch
13. Diagonal punch
14 Hammer fist
15. Chop
16 Spear hand
17. Elbow strike
18. Chin na

And that's just some of the common ones. It doesn't include any of the kicks, throws, sweeps, knees, and grappling that is also found in many martial arts systems. That's why I have a lot of respect for Wing Chun martial artist who try to spar and fight using the techniques they train. Traditional Martial artist are also at a disadvantage simply by the number of sparring hours that many school actually use. I'm not saying Boxing is an easy thing to do. But it's easier than trying to learn to fight in many traditional martial arts systems. Compare the number of boxing students who actually spar with the number of martial artists in a school that actually spar.

Compare how Boxing has coaches who have actual experience boxing in the ring vs Martial Teachers who may have never used there techniques in sparring let alone in competition. So yeah Martial Arts is harder. lol How many people did DK Yoo teach? What was his actually sparring experience or fight experience?

Learning to fight from a person who has never used the technique in a real fight or in a sparring match makes this a lot harder. If Boxers trained the way that some of the Martial Artists trained and learned from people without experience in using the technique. Then I would be saying Boxing is harder than Martial Arts.

One of the best martial arts coaching videos out there for learning how to fight with Kung Fu. Out of the 2 minutes of sparring their teacher only asked for 3 things.
1. Clean Technique
2. Technique from form

I can press keys on a piano all day long. I can do piano drills all day long. But I'll never be able to play a song on the piano until I practice playing a song using my piano skills.

Fighting is like that to. A person can practice jabs and do all the drills. But that person will never be able to fight with boxing until they practice fighting using boxing. This is what most martial artist don't do.

If it takes 700 hours of practicing playing piano to get this good. How many hours of practicing fighting, using the techniques that you rain, do you think it will take for you to get good? How many hours a year do you think most Martial Artist spend sparring? Is it really enough hours to actually learn something? And that's only if you actually trying to use the techniques. A martial artist can spend 700 doing basic kicks and punches in sparring, and they would still be bad fighting with the other system specific techniques. Most martial arts schools probably spar less than 52 hours a year. I was doing a little more than 104 hours a year worth of sparring experience. However, before I started the sparring classes. It was like maybe 10 hours a year, if that many.

People think that. Then jump in the ring and it is suddenly like. Nope. This is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Even if they have sparred.

Which is what happened to DK Yoo.

A good fight school will understand and adjust for that.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People think that. Then jump in the ring and it is suddenly like. Nope. This is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Even if they have sparred.

Which is what happened to DK Yoo.

A good fight school will understand and adjust for that.
Learn kung fu and the first thing that will happen is that your brain will explode as you try to get your body to do what want it to do lol. The boxing gym provides a much better and more ready fighting environment than most martial arts schools. With the exception of those gyms that focus on competitive fighting. Go to a boxing gym and say you want to be a good fighter.. Then you'll get trained. Say the same thing at a martial arts school and you'll get a lecture lol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Learn kung fu and the first thing that will happen is that your brain will explode as you try to get your body to do what want it to do lol. The boxing gym provides a much better and more ready fighting environment than most martial arts schools. With the exception of those gyms that focus on competitive fighting. Go to a boxing gym and say you want to be a good fighter.. Then you'll get trained. Say the same thing at a martial arts school and you'll get a lecture lol.
No twenty seconds in to a full contact fight. Your head is exploding and you can't make your body do what you want it to do.

But in a fight gym you get trained appropriately for the level of hardship you will face. Because they know it is a lot harder than you think it is going to be.

So regardless if DK has all these skills, techniques and athleticism. If the first time he was put in deep water was in the fight. Then he has a pretty big hill to climb.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Go to a boxing gym and say you want to be a good fighter.. Then you'll get trained. Say the same thing at a martial arts school and you'll get a lecture lol.
This is a sad truth. If you (general YOU) hasn't learn how to fight in a CMA school, either your CMA teacher doesn't want to teach you how to fight, or he can't fight himself.

A: Dear master, in Karate tournament, when my opponent uses the earth strategy, moved in inch by inch with strong defense, what's the best strategy for me to use to deal with him?
B: You should not always think about fighting. You should think more about inner peace, and be a better person.

The above conversation is like a chicken talks to a duck. It's very sad that a inner peace teacher has a student who care a lot about fighting.

letsplaygames

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not sure what DK Yoo was trying to do by taking that fight. Big gamble that didn't pay off... (at least he didn't get KO'ed. As said before... take a fight with someone close to your weight class!!! Myself personally... I'd thrown in age too (or close to)

Anyone who has fought competitively.. There was no film footage of DK Yoo actually giving and taking in a sparring match... no official record... nothing. Him standing in front of someone showed exactly that. I've always wondered the same about Bruce Lee...

Not sure what is going on with Traditional Chinese Martial arts and the martial art world outside TCMA.

I don't get it. (all hype about Fake masters getting exposed... one look at those guys and you knew they were fake... )

Tai Chi Master Ma Bao Guo, Chen Yong, the self-proclaimed sixth-generation Tai Chi Master of the Wu Style or .... Wei Lei, a practitioner of the “thunder style” of tai chi, Come on really??? Who actually thought any of those guys could actually fight (beside themselves and their sycophant clueless minions/students.)

Was the outcomes that startling? Really? Shouldn't have been by most. Seriously.... if you have trained in a real discipline just a once look over you'd deduced those people were BS. Has the games of "Matador vs the Bull" i.e so often seen in Rou Shou, Tou Shou and even a lot of Chi Sao skill sets... finally been exposed as skills not to be relied upon when it comes to martial prowess?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mentioned this ages back where this sort of training is not only bad for the guy doing it. But also for the guys getting it done to them.

It creates tapout collapso monkeys.

And so after hitting guys and apparently killing them to hitting someone and doing nothing is a big difference.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There was no film footage of DK Yoo actually giving and taking in a sparring match... no official record... nothing.

Although he didn't have a fight record, there was footage of him sparring, boxing style. It was decidedly average.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
DK Yoo's nothing special. Lots of show, little substance. The 15 MA claim is ridiculous and from the video you could immediately tell he's not "mastered" any of these. The fight went as expected.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The 15 styles thing was never a claim - his claim was that with his unique system that he teaches in expensive seminar format, one can develop the shen fa of these famous styles. It was just marketing playing off the 'spectacular' speed/demonstrations in his marketing video.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No twenty seconds in to a full contact fight. Your head is exploding and you can't make your body do what you want it to do.

But in a fight gym you get trained appropriately for the level of hardship you will face. Because they know it is a lot harder than you think it is going to be.

So regardless if DK has all these skills, techniques and athleticism. If the first time he was put in deep water was in the fight. Then he has a pretty big hill to climb.
Totally agree.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The above conversation is like a chicken talks to a duck. It's very sad that a inner peace teacher has a student who care a lot about fighting
ha ha ha I have never heard of that before but, yeah that's a good way to put it.

Not sure what DK Yoo was trying to do by taking that fight. Big gamble that didn't pay off... (at least he didn't get KO'ed. As said before... take a fight with someone close to your weight class!!! Myself personally... I'd thrown in age too (or close to)
Yeah that's always a good thing.

The 15 styles thing was never a claim - his claim was that with his unique system that he teaches in expensive seminar format, one can develop the shen fa of these famous styles. It was just marketing playing off the 'spectacular' speed/demonstrations in his marketing video.
Thanks for the clarification of that. Sometimes Youtubers add to stuff that people haven't actually claimed.

letsplaygames

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So DK YOO fakes the Philly clam... ok... & and displays some form of weak long rhythm (don't really know cause the other guy never fired a real shot) ... & Foot work? Where?

These are the things I look for when weighing and measuring someone... 90% of the fake masters getting beat up are void of these "Indicators" Regardless of their claims, IF they don't display "Key indicators" to me it's all Bull **** at that point. Any credible coach, sifu, sensei sees this.. No one with credibility was calling these guys masters... Not in the WEST not in the EAST. Just because they call themselves masters doesn't mean they are look at Charlie Zelenoff (Nut job if there ever was one) those guys are no different.

To be honest .. in many of the fights I've seen, being so lop sided... like watching a one legged man in an *** kicking contest, beating up old men or guys you have 50lbs on .. Not cool and proves nothing...

I have mixed thoughts on all this TCMA Fake masters getting destroyed stuff on the internet.
With DK YOO... He jump into a pond that had a big fish that came from an ocean, learned that even though he was a big fish in his world... he was the equivalent of a small fish in the other guy's world. One can only believe he was buying his own hype. Yet...

Haven't we all done something like that? (in a martial sense, then had our *** handed to us? I know I have ... it's part of growing/learning) That said, I never peddled myself to the public as something I am not. (for me that's where the rub is, other than that... )

Props for him doing it, he needs to continue. he looks talented.. that's all I got.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
1. Clean Technique
2. Technique from form

So the above comments were meant to go with that video? Do I understand that correctly? I watched it without sound, so if something was said, I missed it.

What is your honest assessment of the sparring in that video? My assessment is not very flattering. It was kind of a game of tag which is often the problem with sparring: you aren’t in it to destroy your training partner/friend, so little power is used, nothing decisive, and people just chase each other back and forth, trading ineffectual shots.

There can be some benefit to this, it gets you used to (sort of, I guess) things coming at you although the intensity is low. Perhaps that gets you innoculated (kind of) to the adrenal rush. But overall this is very very far from a real fight or a real self-defense encounter. This kind of sparring is, in my opinion, of little benefit. I won’t go so far as saying it is useless, but I don’t put a lot of value on it.

I recall many years ago I was at a health club in which I had membership, and was just quietly working on the heavybag by myself. One of the trainers came in, I think part of what he offered his clients was some kind of combative a training, but I honestly don’t know for sure, although I am certain he had some training of some kind.

He interrupted my training to ask what I was working on and we got to chatting. At some point, a demonstration of something morphed into a sort of upright grappling entanglement, which seems to be what he was into. I hadn’t sparred in years, never did do a whole lot of it, but I basically fought him to a stalemate. We both kept our feet, he had my arms entangled in some fashion, but couldn’t get me on the ground, couldn’t get me into a decisively compromised position, and I held him off until we mutually separated, many minutes later. It became something of a competiton of conditioning. And of course I wasn’t kicking at his legs because, while I had just then met him, he was not my enemy and I didn’t feel it was an appropriate escalation.

My point is, it didn’t take a whole lot of sparring experience to effectively and successfully engage in that kind of sparring. Maybe I’m wrong and he was just toying with me the whole time, didn’t want to damage my delicate ego. It’s possible. But I don’t think so. I think he was surprised that I, a non-grappler, held him off in such a way.

At any rate, this is why I don’t put a high value on much of the sparring that is done. Sparring can be useful, but it very much depends on how the sparring is done. Not all sparring is equal.

So I ask, what is your assessment of the sparring on that video?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So DK YOO fakes the Philly clam... ok... & and displays some form of weak long rhythm (don't really know cause the other guy never fired a real shot) ... & Foot work? Where?

These are the things I look for when weighing and measuring someone... 90% of the fake masters getting beat up are void of these "Indicators" Regardless of their claims, IF they don't display "Key indicators" to me it's all Bull **** at that point. Any credible coach, sifu, sensei sees this.. No one with credibility was calling these guys masters... Not in the WEST not in the EAST. Just because they call themselves masters doesn't mean they are look at Charlie Zelenoff (Nut job if there ever was one) those guys are no different.

To be honest .. in many of the fights I've seen, being so lop sided... like watching a one legged man in an *** kicking contest, beating up old men or guys you have 50lbs on .. Not cool and proves nothing...

I have mixed thoughts on all this TCMA Fake masters getting destroyed stuff on the internet.
With DK YOO... He jump into a pond that had a big fish that came from an ocean, learned that even though he was a big fish in his world... he was the equivalent of a small fish in the other guy's world. One can only believe he was buying his own hype. Yet...

Haven't we all done something like that? (in a martial sense, then had our *** handed to us? I know I have ... it's part of growing/learning) That said, I never peddled myself to the public as something I am not. (for me that's where the rub is, other than that... )

Props for him doing it, he needs to continue. he looks talented.. that's all I got.
Me getting a big ego was never on that level. It rarely went outside the school I trained. I didt provide training to the Korean Special Forces. I never called out professional fighters. I've spared with enough good martial artist and boxers to know my limits. I never customize fight rules when competing in a fight. Big difference in what he did and what others do when their ego gets big.

Latest Discussions