Dissapointed in Wing Chun

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
Thats a new one on me. I don't think he ever stopped training the wing chun he had learnt though.

I read somewhere that when Bruce Lee was filming his last movie b4 leaving this earth, he decided to re-visit one of Yip Man's senior students in Hong Kong and learn some more.

This article indicated that Bruce Lee realized that a lot of his natural fighting abilities depended on distance, speed, and youth. Bruce came to the self knowledge that one day he too would be frail and old like Yip Man and, knew speed and distance would not be on his side forever. Bruce Lee came to the conclusion that there was way more to Wing Chun and martial arts than what he already knew. So he decided to study and train in Wing Chun even more in order to develop more of the internal energy, unfortunately he died before the fruits of his labor could blossum.

I don't know if i can find this article ever again :(

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It was not long before Bruce died that he spent about 12 hours with Wong Shun Leung, explaining his way of fighting, there is a story about it on Clive Potters web site (former student of Wong Shun Leung)

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ric Flair said:
I read somewhere that when Bruce Lee was filming his last movie b4 leaving this earth, he decided to re-visit one of Yip Man's senior students in Hong Kong and learn some more.

This article indicated that Bruce Lee realized that a lot of his natural fighting abilities depended on distance, speed, and youth. Bruce came to the self knowledge that one day he too would be frail and old like Yip Man and, knew speed and distance would not be on his side forever. Bruce Lee came to the conclusion that there was way more to Wing Chun and martial arts than what he already knew. So he decided to study and train in Wing Chun even more in order to develop more of the internal energy, unfortunately he died before the fruits of his labor could blossum.

I don't know if i can find this article ever again :(

I read up on this and found the wong shun leung article that bcbernam777 mentioned, it described his intent to train wing chun again but nothing about him actually doing so. Interesting all the same.

SilatFan

Green Belt
Reaction score
OneWhoKnowsNothing said:
Dear people from MartialTalk.com,
Gentlemen: I come to, with absolute determination, to understand where to find a good teacher. I come to you now, lost, in knowing what a good teacher is, and, or the place to begin looking for such a person. I'm a boy of 14, with a great passion for the Martial Arts, and would like to find a good teacher, to guild me, to be the very best i could ever believe to be. I started at a Karate school, about a year ago, and recently, have come to the conclusion, after many hours of research on the internet, that what that school was missing,...was a sense of Philosophy, and theory, realism, and complete respect. I'm greatly upset about that fact. I'm considering now to leave the school, in search of one that will teach all of the fundementals of Martial Arts, and to be absultely the best i can be. I've come across this forum, and while i was reading, i found a website of a school, the website was called ImmortalPalm.com. I've read up on this school, and it seems to be quite good,..the teachers seem to be quite amazing as well. If anyone could give me their opinoins about this school, i would greatly appreciate it. I just do not want to make the same mistake, that i have in the past.
Thank you all very much for you time and cooperation,
-OneWhoKnowsNothing

Hello,

I just came across this thread & thought that I might help. I have studied different MAs, in your region, for many years. I would say that Carl DeChuria's(sp?) academy, immortalpalm.com, is a poor choice. IMO they have big egos, a cult-like attitude and little martial skill. From the couple of classes I took with them I found that they spent more time knocking every other Wing Chun lineage/school/teacher and TELLING me why they were the best than actually teaching. Not a group you want to grow up in.

If you want excellent Wing Chun go look up master Buddy Wu in Euclid, Ohio. He has what you want. Good skill, good person, good students, good attitude and lineage.

Because it’s nearby you and its quality I would also recommend the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class taught in Eastlake by Jeff Starr (a Relson Gracie affiliate). It is held at a Black Rose Kenpo school on Vine Street. Additionally, Jeff has studied Wing Chun with Francis Fong and JKD with Dan Inosanto for well over a decade.

Good luck

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I do not train Wing Chun, but I know a few that do. Wing Chun as previously mentioned in this discussion is no for sparring, it is for fighting.

Look into its history.

There is also a very good Wing Chun School in Upstate NY, Chichon's Wing Chun; he is a disciple of the Yip Family.

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey friends listen please. We in Wing Chun never lacked the excelllent Sifus, but we lacked the knowledge about what we choose. I mean that we always know that nothing can replace Wing Chun concepts of simplicity in fighting. Finding good teachers is not easy, but if someone possess the desire of learning, he will definitely find his goal.

e.g: If you live in New York city, you can find the best sifus, such as Sifu Emin Boztepe. In California Master Gary Lam, who is considered to be one of the disciples of Grandmaster Wong Sheung Leung.

gblnking

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Over the years I have trained in a variety of martail arts, I have found most of them to be disappointing to say the least. From the Mystical "touch of death" styles to the "healing internal arts" they all have fallen miserably short of what thier "masters" have spouted.
A couple of years ago I joined a Wing Chun school. The teacher was very knowledgable. We trained three times a week for two hours each time. Going over and over the form, stance, and body positioning. A year later we were still going over the form, stance, and body positioning. Throw in some of the two person drills and all in all I became painfully bored with the system. I should at this point state that this school was part of the immortalpalm group that a previous poster commented on. This particular school being in Minnesota though. I did on one occasion get to train with Carl D. from Ohio and found him to be completely arrogant and basically a thug. Which is such a suprise that my teacher having trained with him for years was the complete opposite.
The other thing that I'd like to coment on is to the poster that stated something to the effect that sparring and fighting are two entirely differant things. I would say true but if you train and train and train with no sparring you will never learn how to fight. You can't teach someone to fight without putting your hands on them. I once was in a TKD school where upon obtaining the green belt I was moved into a sparring class, my first competitor was a black belt who I promptly punched in the nose because his hands where not blocking his face. I was lectured on the rules (not being given them prior to this) of no contact to the head. But being that he was a black belt shouldn't he have been able to block that anyways?
My point is that you can train on proper form, stance , and body position till your blue in the face but if you don't mix it up a bit your are being short changed. Which is my disappointment with Wing Chun.
I'm in a Muay Thai school now and I am enjoying it but I do still wish that I can find a good Wing Chun school in the Minnesota area that teaches both form and functionality of the system. Just my two cents.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
gblnking said:
A couple of years ago I joined a Wing Chun school. The teacher was very knowledgable. We trained three times a week for two hours each time. Going over and over the form, stance, and body positioning. A year later we were still going over the form, stance, and body positioning. Throw in some of the two person drills and all in all I became painfully bored with the system. I should at this point state that this school was part of the immortalpalm group that a previous poster commented on.

I cannot comment on the Immortalpalm group, as I have had no experience with them.

With regards to the endless drilling, this is what training is all about. Over and over, striving for perfection. In a good school, this will never come to an end no matter what your level, because you can always be better.

Training application is also important, I agree with you there. But without drilling the basics your application will always be poor.

If you only gave this a year of your effort, you might have short changed yourself. Skill in the martial arts takes time, effort, more time, and more effort before it develops. One year is not a long time. You might have been on the edge of a breakthru to another level, but you walked away prematurely.

I suggest you rethink your attitude toward training. What do you really want from the martial arts? It is not all fun and glory. It is mostly work and pain, and for some it can even be boring. Only a McDojo will promise to keep you entertained while you "train". Most good schools won't make this promise.

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
gblnking said:
Over the years I have trained in a variety of martail arts, I have found most of them to be disappointing to say the least. From the Mystical "touch of death" styles to the "healing internal arts" they all have fallen miserably short of what thier "masters" have spouted.
The other thing that I'd like to coment on is to the poster that stated something to the effect that sparring and fighting are two entirely differant things. I would say true but if you train and train and train with no sparring you will never learn how to fight. You can't teach someone to fight without putting your hands on them.

-----------The above was slightly edited-------
Heres the thing
Any style or system theres bad people out there, however in in karate, jujitsu, bjj, judo and some other styles there is generally a degree of consistency within the style. So from one school to the next you can see who and what is good, also at tournaments, and if your school sucks with a moderate effort you can find a good school.
With in the chinese arts there is NO real consistency within any particular style, so you have a lot of people supposedly practicing the same styles but from school to school they are doing things so differently if your school sucks you could go to a different school that does things different and they could suck too. Plus everybody THINKS they have the correct way. THere is no general standard within a particular style of kung fu that everyone in that style can look at, whereas in judo or karate there is a general minimun consensus, even though there are still mcdojos.
Bottom line if you are looking for good wing chun, look at other styles as well so that when you visit a wing chun school you can compare and ask yourself could these guys hold there own against the other stuff you saw , and if not, maybe keep looking.

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The moment we get bored of something we practise, I think that it is better to stop training martial arts forever, because a real martial artist must never get bored of what he trains in. We must always have the desire to continue whatever happens.
Regarding Wing Chun, why need to spar with opponents. Its concepts allows you to finish any situation before it starts to your favour.
Suppose these concepts did not helped you, there are other moves used to replace the mistakes you did, and that comes later in the training. It is just patience and patience.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
gblnking said:
A couple of years ago I joined a Wing Chun school. The teacher was very knowledgable. We trained three times a week for two hours each time. Going over and over the form, stance, and body positioning. A year later we were still going over the form, stance, and body positioning. Throw in some of the two person drills and all in all I became painfully bored with the system. quote]

Hence why you will never learn real Wing Chun

Latest Discussions