Discworld - Terry Pratchett

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did anybody else notice: Pratchett leaves his heroes rather nondescript?

I mean he does take great pains to describe what they think and feel, but unless it is very important (like with Carrot) they have really no physical atributes to them.
I noticed that, but, I didn't REALLY notice it until you mentioned it. I'm halfway through my 15th Pratchett book.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find them quite well described in the sense that Mike Hammer is well described or Phillip Marlow are well described. Enough to service the story with enough space for the reader to imprint upon.

Gotta love that Pratchett obsession.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, I took my latest out to read in public....I am a bit self conscious...laughing loudly while reading a book is somewhat uncommon! :)

But seriously, if you were to answer questions about the characters, you simply could not describe them. Not a bad thing for the story, just something I noticed. maybe that's why the visual interpretations seem to fall short because they are from somebody else.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just don't see it that way. There are authors who give detailed descriptions and that works, but then there are those who give essentials so it's easier to imprint your own interpretation upon what was given.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just don't see it that way. There are authors who give detailed descriptions and that works, but then there are those who give essentials so it's easier to imprint your own interpretation upon what was given.

Never said it was a bad thing, Given the medium, it's actually kind of good. You still see the whole person when you read it.

But

When it's put into a visual form it can be anything. So one might be disappointed because one's own vision is likely different from everybody else. :)

Just a thing I noticed.

The closest to a precise desriptiom you get is that Carrot 'looks like one of the gods' (*asterix: one of the major ones) ;)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
roach_doom.png

Death of Roaches

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
New Discworld novel "Snuff" comes out in the UK soon, with a much later release in the US:

The new Discworld novel from the master features the popular Sam Vimes, Commander of the City Watch.

According to the writer of the best-selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse. And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe. There are many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, and occasionally snookered and out of his mind, but never out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven. But not quite all.

Latest Discussions