Dirty boxing

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ric Flair said:
Can't believe you are not allowed to "lace" (palm strike) an attacker in a boxing ring!!! In Wing Chun we focus this a lot sometimes.
Boxing is already deadly, picture adding in these "dirty tricks"...

i don't find these "tricks" dirty at all. If they work when they are needed, who cares if you look like a cheat for hitting a man in the balls or throat. The point is it worked and you survived with your life!!!

Gloves change a lot of techniques. Palm strikes are devastating, but not the main focus of boxing. "Lacing" is a little different, in that you make use of the laces on the gloves to tear facial skin or mess up an eye. Can be easily made to look like an accidental strike as the opponent"slipped" your jab.

These tricks are only "dirty" under the rules of boxing. If you are using them outside the boxing ring, in a self defense situation, there is less concern on the ethics of how you win.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
of course if you are getting in "self-defence" fights wearing laced up boxing gloves people may start to question you ;)

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
of course if you are getting in "self-defence" fights wearing laced up boxing gloves people may start to question you ;)

I've managed to avoid many fights by walking into bars wearing Muay Thai shorts and boxing gloves. It's just a little difficult to pay the waiter, and you have to drink your beer through a straw.:0

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just saw this thread. There are some good references to dirty boxing material that I should look into.

One of our staple programs is "Modern bare Knuckle Fighting" based of bare knuckle boxing method of fighting and instruction that I am familar with.

A lot of people don't realize that bare knuckle fighting existed underground as a competition where promoters and gamblers profited from it until about the 40's. There are a lot of these methods that are alive (although not all have been greatly publicized) today.

Bare knuckle boxing worked more then just on punching tactics that we see today. There are low line kicks, palms, clinchs, groundwork, throws, "dirty" techniques, and so forth. The line is blurred between what distinguishes these.

Our basic methodology as a concept relates to angling and body dominant positioning. We want to cut angles and manuever into positions where we are dominantly balanced, and where we have more access to openings then the other guy. From there, we aim to monopolize openings by inflicting as much trauma as quickly and efficently as possible with our techniques. This basic concept crosses all lines, from standing to ground work.

I really enjoy it. I would really like to see what other people are doing; to find the similarities as well as differences. Hell, I may find something I can pirate.. ;)

Paul

Latest Discussions