Boxing - Martial Art or Not

A

Aaron Little

Do you consider Western Boxing to be a Martial Art or Not?

I saw this question on another forum and was interested in seeing the views of the members here?

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure. It's martial and it's an art. I guess just because you don't use holds, throws or kicks doesn't mean it can't be a martial art. It's just more focused.

Fightfan00

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes I belive boxing is a martial art form.Boxing is also just another tool to use in your arsonal!

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well ya, of course it is a martial art. Martial Art includes ANY fighting style. Whether boxing, wrestling, kenpp, or karate it is all the same.

OP
T

ThatWasAKick

Yes. <points up> What Kane said.

But personally, when I think MA, in my head I include guns, the military, etc.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You guys are silly, it can't be a martial art.

ALL martial arts come from ASIA, don't you guys know anything, I mean really....

[/sarcastic mode]

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
You guys are silly, it can't be a martial art.

ALL martial arts come from ASIA, don't you guys know anything, I mean really....

[/sarcastic mode]

Are U kidding or for real????
Boxing is as Much a Martial Art as Mauy Thai & Savate

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ace said:
Are U kidding or for real????
Boxing is as Much a Martial Art as Mauy Thai & Savate
take careful not of the sarcasim tag at the end...

Yes boxing is a martial art.

OP
K

KenpoNoChikara

It seems to be more of a sport to me, but it does have some good stuff, I guess you could call it a martial art.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
KenpoNoChikara said:
It seems to be more of a sport to me, but it does have some good stuff, I guess you could call it a martial art.

Agreed it is a Sport form of Martial Arts.
But So is Savte & Mauy Thai.....

They would Be modifide for Street self defence.
The Boxer would not beable to throw
a ton of head shot beacuse his hand is exposed.

He/She would beable to hit below the Waist Line.
And not have to wory about being seperated in a clinch.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boxing (western boxing that is) has a combatives root and should be recognized as a martial art. Lots of good 'dirty school of boxing' stuff out there the directly translates to the street applications (and the ring when the officials aren't looking). Even in sport application, I think there are many a martial artist who trains for self defense that would have a hard fight against a sport trained boxer.

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am going to say yes simply because that is where I learned how to fight, I have the benifit of its training when it comes to my punches (lotsa power - the popeye forearms may have a litle to do with it as well ) also my ability to take a punch with out much notice on my part. This is probably why Tae Kwon Do is so alien to me; "What you mean I have to kick 'em and I can't just break their nose and get it over with?"

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think that Western Boxing is a little more of a martial "sport" than an "art", but I can see how it can be interpeted as an "art" as well, I also see great elements that would work on the street, not just the ring.
So my answer is yes, I consider it as a Martial Art.

- Hwoarang_tkd26

OP
A

Aaron Little

As I said at the top, this is a question I read on another forum. There seemed to be more people there siding on the "just a sport" side. This is the post I made there.

Two boxers step into the ring for 12 rounds. What they are doing may very well be science but how they do it is most certainly art. The free form interaction with an opponent is poetry in motion. One person imposing his will on another…….A Physical Poetry Slam.

OP
S

Scout_379

In total agreement with all of the above.

Boxing is a martial art. Sport or otherwise, boxers can hold thier own, fulfilling the martial aspect. And I've seen some beautiful fights that can only qualify as art.

Latest Discussions