Diffrent punches

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
in walking range its TKD, i think there might be a chinese kickboxing in range i need to go have a look at which i keep forgetting about. Extension from that, there is two kung fu styles, a few TKD's, i think a few Karates, MMA, there is a place which does courses for self defence (just remembered, see above edit) a krav maga, a Judo and a BJJ, oh and two Arnis styles. Well, one of the MMA places hosts other styles, like Muay Thai etc. I think there might be a boxing or two as well.

I havent looked for every style and a few might be more inner circle due to bad advertising. and i dont have a car and am not going to some of these places at 18-21:00

So let's narrow it down. What is in walking range that is in a neighborhood you consider safe?

Alternatively, could you get a bicycle? Often you can get great deals at garage sales or on private sale apps. That could extend your acceptable range.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
in walking range its TKD, i think there might be a chinese kickboxing in range i need to go have a look at which i keep forgetting about. Extension from that, there is two kung fu styles, a few TKD's, i think a few Karates, MMA, there is a place which does courses for self defence (just remembered, see above edit) a krav maga, a Judo and a BJJ, oh and two Arnis styles. Well, one of the MMA places hosts other styles, like Muay Thai etc. I think there might be a boxing or two as well.

I havent looked for every style and a few might be more inner circle due to bad advertising. and i dont have a car and am not going to some of these places at 18-21:00

Edit: can either of you do a little skim of this course for me if i Private message it to you?

skim of the course?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So let's narrow it down. What is in walking range that is in a neighborhood you consider safe?

Alternatively, could you get a bicycle? Often you can get great deals at garage sales or on private sale apps. That could extend your acceptable range.

and it would improve your cardio too

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

TKD. :p The kick boxing is on the edge of my town. Also i cant ride a bike.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking about this thread while I was practicing on BOB yesterday. I've never hurt my wrist throwing a hook punch. In fact, I can't even imagine hurting my wrist with one. I would have to do something seriously wrong to hurt myself doing one. If I did, it would be my knuckles, which applies to any punch I'd throw.
i think the most common reason for hurting the wrist during a hook punch is reaching to far.

A weak fist will hurt you.
not 100% true. if your hand is out of position yes it will make things worse but i tend to punch the bag and hit people (in a class setting) with a relaxed hand. as long as contact is with the correct knuckles its not a big deal.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dont even, there is roller derby here of all things. :p .

Go do the senshusei at the Yoshinkan

They will take you from knowing zero and teach you right up to shodan and believe me lol you will get plenty rough stuff lol

and

you might even get to play with the riot police when they come to the course lol

You will get the theory to

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i think the most common reason for hurting the wrist during a hook punch is reaching to far.

not 100% true. if your hand is out of position yes it will make things worse but i tend to punch the bag and hit people (in a class setting) with a relaxed hand. as long as contact is with the correct knuckles its not a big deal.

Learn the rule before the exception, I say. Sometimes you may do something different, but you should know why it's different and why you do it that way.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Learn the rule before the exception, I say. Sometimes you may do something different, but you should know why it's different and why you do it that way.

That a very good way of putting it

Imo some of the basics in there pure form (techniques) do not totally work but have to be learned to give a solid foundation. It is as you progress that the nuances and exceptions can come in. Maybe that is why in some arts people get frustrated and ask the questions that complicate things. Maybe it a more modern or a western thing and with the rise of the internet that things are being picked apart more and more. Imo in days gone by it would not have been lower grades or ranks that would have picked apart things but the high ranks and even then in private.
I guess in a way if you build a house and don't get the foundations right then problems will arise as it is imo with any of the arts lay the solid foundations then move forward.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That a very good way of putting it

Imo some of the basics in there pure form (techniques) do not totally work but have to be learned to give a solid foundation. It is as you progress that the nuances and exceptions can come in. Maybe that is why in some arts people get frustrated and ask the questions that complicate things. Maybe it a more modern or a western thing and with the rise of the internet that things are being picked apart more and more. Imo in days gone by it would not have been lower grades or ranks that would have picked apart things but the high ranks and even then in private.
I guess in a way if you build a house and don't get the foundations right then problems will arise as it is imo with any of the arts lay the solid foundations then move forward.

Well, we have our horse stance punching, which I think mainly serves to isolate the arms to teach the punching motion without worrying about the legs. However, it does come up in a lot of our defense drills. Defending against a punch or a kick, move off the line 45 degrees and make a horse stance at a diagonal to your opponent and then do several strikes from that position.

However, there is a sort of exaggerated precision in the techniques that I don't think comes out in a real situation. We have a brother and sister (about 13 and 10) who take classes together. The brother's forms are very raw. You can see the power and it looks like the punches or kicks he'd throw in an actual fight. The girl's forms are much more refined. Each technique is precise and controlled. You still see her snap power in her forms, but she has a focus on technique that her brother doesn't.

I think another thing that happens is as you build on your foundations, those foundations don't become the only thing you know, and in many situations you'll have something else you can do.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Maybe that is why in some arts people get frustrated and ask the questions that complicate things. Maybe it a more modern or a western thing and with the rise of the internet that things are being picked apart more and more. Imo in days gone by it would not have been lower grades or ranks that would have picked apart things but the high ranks and even then in private.

We dont have the same culture as the places these things were made in. In some asian countries respect for elders is still engrained on people to the level they wont question/oppose them. Same with who ever is in a supervisory position, we dont have that in many western countries. (at least to that extent, its perfectly fine to question someone who is older/oppose them or someone who is your boss) The restriction of knowledge to belt ranks is what urks me,if i ask for more details on something i would like to be humoured as it helps me understand the point of something. (granted some places do it better than others)

I will give a glossing mention to most people disagree as to what is a foundation and how it should be taught. I am a good example. :p

The next round of posts by me for punching would probably be Filipino boxing.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We dont have the same culture as the places these things were made in. In some asian countries respect for elders is still engrained on people to the level they wont question/oppose them. Same with who ever is in a supervisory position, we dont have that in many western countries. (at least to that extent, its perfectly fine to question someone who is older/oppose them or someone who is your boss) The restriction of knowledge to belt ranks is what urks me,if i ask for more details on something i would like to be humoured as it helps me understand the point of something. (granted some places do it better than others)

I will give a glossing mention to most people disagree as to what is a foundation and how it should be taught. I am a good example. :p

Actually, you're not unique. A lot of people don't see the point in forms. There are plenty of teachers out there that you can not like their teaching style. That's perfectly fine. But you need to find an instructor you DO like and do agree with and learn from them.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Why do you think the knowledge is being restricted?

I'm not being big headed and I am no longer fit but young man if I tried to explain and expect you to perform techniques at my level you will fail get even more frustrated and still get no where.

Your looking to start at the top of the tree not climb your way up it

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rat your looking for a fast track and young man there is no fast track at all.

It is all well and good that your asking questions and the guys who know are explaining them what I fear is that having got those explanations your going to think you now "know" and can apply them.

Theory is one thing actually applying them is a whole different ball game.

As you seem to have a major issue with the grading systems and the forms then why are you looking at any of the arts that have them?

A word of warning (friendly word) I hope you don't go to a dojo and try and make out that you already know as that is not going to do you any good at all in fact it might get you kicked out lol and I really hope you don't go out on the streets saying you know these techs as umm yo might come across a person that does and you might regret it lol

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Why do you think the knowledge is being restricted?

Going to have to cut this one short, i had a paragraph or so written then my laptop crashed and it didnt save.

The belt system to me can be exploited and is arbitary in my eyes, the over arching organization has decided what belt needs to know to pass onto the next. in systems which arent good you can be stuck to your belt too long to keep you coming back to progress to the next level of knowledge or you can be fast tracked and it made meaningless. Its just convenient it exists since it helps them in a capitalist system, could have gutted what a white belt used to be taught to make it easier to get the next belt etc. How ever i understand the need for a system of marking progression, the one i thought up for was just some marker to say they learnt basics, one for intermediate and one for advanced. (same issue if you disagree with whats the foundation or maybe i am fast tracking or slowing down to get more money)

Plus in the TKD system, they even confess your actual teaching starts at black belt, so you arent technically climbing the tree until you are at the top of the tree and that stands contradictory to them putting a self defence marker on it. Useless for self defence if it takes you 20 years to learn it. :p (after those 20 years of learning it fair game, but you cant guarantee you don't need your training until your a black belt, i have this issue with most traditional styles)

I think im just bias against TKD. I haven't had positive feed back to balance out the negatives i have been told/see about it. Most of my issues apply to most traditional styles like the time it takes to be proficient, kata etc. Some videos i watched on some of the elements of TKD have given me faith enough to try it again for a little bit. (Plus i think i may be at fault a little for the dislike i find in TKD, all i have to say about that) Same with what some of you have said about some of the moves being used for various things, i can tell you this right now im glad i have a ITF off shoot and not a WTF one.

A word of warning (friendly word) I hope you don't go to a dojo and try and make out that you already know as that is not going to do you any good at all in fact it might get you kicked out lol and I really hope you don't go out on the streets saying you know these techs as umm yo might come across a person that does and you might regret it lol

If they want to put full sparring gear on before they start the "correction" im fine with that. :p I mean,when i get more confident i might ask more questions, pending on how well they take that would be if i like going there or not. I recall one question i asked on close handed low blocks vs open handed and the response sounded fair enough, which was preservation of the fingers. Fair enough though, i know not to annoy people when they are in kicking distance.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rat it is not just TKD that says you start learning when you reach BB lol

I don't think your quite grasping what a gaining a BB actually is or what it means, even at my rank (and I'll never go further now) I am still learning.

There will always be arguments about the lower grading system but suggesting that people are being held back so they keep coming back isn't imo correct.

I do get the impression that you are like many young bucks, you do not want to be at the bottom (white belt) and you don't consider yourself there either and in the MA world that isn't a good attitude as it shows a lack of humility and a lack of understanding why you start at the bottom.

As far as putting on full sparring gear, it wasn't so long ago that you were going on about things not being real enough for you!!! So now you want full sparring gear ???

If any higher grade falls out with you in a class then they either are not deserving of their grade as they should be able to control that or it is you who is being disrespectful in your attitude towards them.

Rat there is no fast track none nada doesn't exist and any place that is offering that or is telling you that or leading you to believe that there is ...I will not say what I really think.

I actually get the impression that you want and think that if you ask the guys on here you are going to fast track and or be able to teach ... I may be wrong but ....

I honestly have no idea at all what Art or system is going to suit you as you seem to have no patience at all lol

sorry for being strong but there are a few things your just not grasping imo

Latest Discussions