Different wristlocks and different responses to wristlocks

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My (badly made) point is that these kind of standing locks need to be set up correctly. This is best done with striking
It can go the other way as well.... you can use a wrist lock attempt to set up a strike. You go for the wrist lock, he escapes or blocks... but in doing so, you have won the initiative... he is responding to you.... most likely, he made an opening for you to use. You also know where his focus is at that moment... on the wrist lock that he is escaping / preventing.

You do have to be careful that you do not chase a lock that is no longer there.... and you opening will only be for an instant.... But, you can attempt a wrist lock to set up a strike, sweep or other technique... so long as you abandon the lock and go for the follow up technique at the right time.

The other thing I have found is that people tend to escape the same way... the way that just worked. So, you attempt lock A and he prevents it. If you take note of how he prevents it.... when you try for lock A again... most likely, you already know how he will prevent it.... use this to set up that following move.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
The basic template in my TKD class was:
  1. Defend (i.e. block a punch, swim a grip)
  2. Shock (strike)
  3. Control (set the lock)
  4. Take-Down
  5. Finish (strike or limb destruction)
In HKD we swapped 2 and 3, you first set the grip, and then used the lock to shock into compliance for the take-down.
Sounds reasonable to me. Not sure what “swim a grip” means, but yes, in FMA controlling the weapon hand along with shock(s) is a typical precursor to the break, lock, disarm, takedown or throw.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The basic template in my TKD class was:
  1. Defend (i.e. block a punch, swim a grip)
  2. Shock (strike)
  3. Control (set the lock)
  4. Take-Down
  5. Finish (strike or limb destruction)
In HKD we swapped 2 and 3, you first set the grip, and then used the lock to shock into compliance for the take-down.
We did the same in TSD. It seemed to work well.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable to me. Not sure what “swim a grip” means, but yes, in FMA controlling the weapon hand along with shock(s) is a typical precursor to the break, lock, disarm, takedown or throw.
Swim. I assume he means Like take a swimming breaststroke motion to break a grip.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When someone grabs your arm, and you move your hand around so you can break their grip and then grab theirs.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The first one is listed in Dr Yang level one Chin na. Ive seen it before that, it’s fairly common stuff in CMA.
That video shows "small silk rolling". This video shows both "small silk rolling" and "large silk rolling". Believe it or not, I learned "large silk rolling" when I was 5 years old (the 1st MA skill I have learned in my life).

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That video shows "small silk rolling". This video shows both "small silk rolling" and "large silk rolling". Believe it or not, I learned "large silk rolling" when I was 5 years old (the 1st MA skill I have learned in my life).

Thanks for posting. I’m really enjoying these clips.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Form is to record information. you don't train form. You train information in the form - the techniques.

The 2 men forms not only show you how to apply a joint lock, it also shows you how to counter a joint lock.
Got it. Thank you.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Got it. Thank you.
If you see two chin na guys working techniques they can go through 10 techniques and ten counters in just a few seconds. I’m not that fast with that many yet. I’m only working level 1 & 2 in Chin na right now.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you see two chin na guys working techniques they can go through 10 techniques and ten counters in just a few seconds. I’m not that fast with that many yet. I’m only working level 1 & 2 in Chin na right now.
The simplest counter for all joint locking is to twist your arm against your opponent's thumb (1 finger) and not to twist your arm against your opponent's 4 fingers.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The simplest counter for all joint locking is to twist your arm against your opponent's thumb (1 finger) and not to twist your arm against your opponent's 4 fingers.
Absolutely, one of the first lessons that I teach on joint locks.