Joining BJJ with a lot of experience in other arts

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a kid, I did 4 years of Taekwondo and 3 seasons of wrestling. As an adult, I've done 9 years of Taekwondo and 7ish of Hapkido (that was on-and-off, especially during the Pandemic). I have a 3rd Dan in Taekwondo and spent 8 years teaching. I have a 1st Dan in Hapkido. I'm not under the illusions that these are equivalent to 1st and 3rd Dan in BJJ, as I know it takes a lot longer to get there. I'd say maybe the rough equivalent of a brown belt from TKD and a purple belt from HKD, at least in terms of the amount of experience I have and the relative rank compared to my fellow students. I am under no illusions that I will be at the level of a white belt in BJJ, since it is a completely new skill I am learning.

I will be starting BJJ next month. Most of the videos and articles I see for "what to expect in BJJ" are aimed at folks who have no experience in martial arts at all. There isn't much for those who have trained in other arts. For those who have made the switch, what is it that was different about BJJ, and what should I expect?

PS: I'm not looking for answers along the lines of "BJJ is better than TKD/HKD, so hopefully you can unlearn all the wrong things from your previous training." I will just ignore answers that are trying to bash other arts.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
just go in with an open mind and no ego. Start from the position that you don’t know anything and are ready to learn. No one there will care that you have any previous martial arts experience. It will not impress them if you tell them.

If you’re not in great shape, expect to be pushed a little, especially when sparring. It’s hard work and being new you will probably use a lot more muscle than needed, which makes it hard work.

Be friendly and have a good time.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Previous experience in one striking MA will usually help you learn another. But I think going from striking to (ground) grappling will not be as much a synergistic learning experience. The fundamental techniques of the two concepts are much different. I found that my karate helped me with fencing (which is a kind of striking art) but not with wrestling.

Keep in mind that being in TKD physical condition is different than being in BJJ condition. The muscles are used much differently, so you must change your strength and cardio regimen. I also think more patience is needed as that sport works at a different tempo than karate. I agree with Steve that you should go in with "an open mind" and low expectations as you're starting at point "0".

While your MA past will not be of much help technique-wise, you will have a leg up over many other BJJ beginners. You already know how to be dedicated in training, persevere, and control your ego. The full list of these indirect "soft skills" is long and are there, ready for you to draw upon.

Good luck on your new MA challenge.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
As a kid, I did 4 years of Taekwondo and 3 seasons of wrestling. As an adult, I've done 9 years of Taekwondo and 7ish of Hapkido (that was on-and-off, especially during the Pandemic). I have a 3rd Dan in Taekwondo and spent 8 years teaching. I have a 1st Dan in Hapkido. I'm not under the illusions that these are equivalent to 1st and 3rd Dan in BJJ, as I know it takes a lot longer to get there. I'd say maybe the rough equivalent of a brown belt from TKD and a purple belt from HKD, at least in terms of the amount of experience I have and the relative rank compared to my fellow students. I am under no illusions that I will be at the level of a white belt in BJJ, since it is a completely new skill I am learning.

I will be starting BJJ next month. Most of the videos and articles I see for "what to expect in BJJ" are aimed at folks who have no experience in martial arts at all. There isn't much for those who have trained in other arts. For those who have made the switch, what is it that was different about BJJ, and what should I expect?

PS: I'm not looking for answers along the lines of "BJJ is better than TKD/HKD, so hopefully you can unlearn all the wrong things from your previous training." I will just ignore answers that are trying to bash other arts.
I started BJJ with 20 years experience in MA & interestingly we have a couple of high level TKD (7th dan) practitioners who started in our academy a year or so ago
So I can only share what I've experienced and observed directly

The good news is that you probably won't gas out during the warmup ;-)
I'm not sure how much your wrestling & hapkido experience will cross over. Probably it'll give you a head start on the takedowns and a competitive mindset, but not much else
The challenge with ground fighting is that it doesn't come naturally and isn't really present in your "home" styles. So it's going to feel kinda like a good runner learning to swim for the first time

The main issue for folk in your situation is to come to terms with the fact that, in BJJ, they are just a white belt same as all the other white belts. Being manhandled easily by someone with only a year or so MA experience, gassing out underneath that lighter blue belt, feeling like you have absolutely zero clue what to do in a situation etc can be especially hard when you've already done the hard graft to pull yourself up into a high rank in another style

Having said that people with high ranks in other styles have proven that they have the grit and determination to persevere, the thirst for technical knowledge and the ability to be a good sparring partner so in my experience they actually do very well once they get past the issues above

I hope you fall in love with it and let us know how you get on

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Probably best to go in with a blank mental slate. Enjoy being a rookie again, you might have forgotten how much fun it was, but it was big time fun.

You're going to love everything that's coming. To me, the most important thing you can do while embarking on Jits training is to really focus on relaxation while rolling.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Another thing occurred to me. You will not be good at it, and the good thing is, everyone knows it. There is no expectation that you will be any good. So enjoy it. Zero expectations. Some guys get embarrassed or self conscious, so just know that no one cares and everyone goes through it. It’s just fine being really bad… part of the process.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

The biggest battle you will have is against yourself. What I've learned along the years is that is best to go in with an open mind and not say to much about your previous training. It may come out anyways and people will ask especially if you look far more coordinated than you ought to be for a beginner.

Enjoy the ride and remember the only pressure you will feel is the pressure you put on yourself. Oh and the rear naked choke that will surely be a coming your way……..

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Prepare for pain in the ribs (intercostal muscles). My first 3 months od BJJ it was constant pain - my body body unaccustomed to pressure of another body.

And have fun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you’ll find a very different approach to movement and strategy than you’re used to, and more willingness to use strength (I’m assuming HKD is like its cousin arts in this respect).

Some of what you know will transfer, in unexpected ways, but that may not show up until you get a grasp of the new fundamentals. And those new fundamentals will start to change how you understand your HKD, too.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you’ll find a very different approach to movement and strategy than you’re used to, and more willingness to use strength (I’m assuming HKD is like its cousin arts in this respect).
HKD doesn't really spar much, but we do ramp up the resistance, unlike what I've heard from most AKD schools.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HKD doesn't really spar much, but we do ramp up the resistance, unlike what I've heard from most AKD schools.
I was referring more to the disdain often seen for any application of strength, as if aiki and strength were polar opposites.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don’t over-think it. Don’t make assumptions and just go train. Enjoy the new experience.
My grappling training is much different than my striking training. The only thing that is similar is my stance training. Everything else is different.

The focus of action is different.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Next month" is now "next week". Looking forward to my first class.

I am bald and bearded, so I'm hoping that helps me reach purple fast.

Latest Discussions