Did I pass up something good? Or was it a charlatan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds somewhat US airborne. Respect to your paras!

The US Airborne is younger that the Parachute Regiment. :)

Field Marshal The Viscount Montgomery:
"What manner of men are these who wear the maroon red beret? They are firstly all volunteers, and are then toughened by hard physical training. As a result they have that infectious optimism and that offensive eagerness which comes from physical well being. They have jumped from the air and by doing so have conquered fear. Their duty lies in the van of the battle: they are proud of this honour and have never failed in any task. They have the highest standards in all things, whether it be skill in battle or smartness in the execution of all peace time duties. They have shown themselves to be as tenacious and determined in defence as they are courageous in attack. They are, in fact, men apart - every man an Emperor."

Good people for the OP to emulate.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I made a couple of new friends that are willing to spar. We do it at my place so there is no risk of anything stupid happening like there would be in public. The three of us know eachother well so we are comfortable enough that it's a safe experience.

I do want to compete and will compete, as for when I am not sure. My sifu says I am not ready for it yet, so whenever he says I am ready is when I will start.

Godsdammit.

Get out of your school now. You have no respect for it, and you have no respect for your teacher. You just want to do what you want to do, which is simply because of your damn ego.

You were told by your teacher that the condition you were allowed to continue training there under included you not fighting outside of the school (and outside of his direction and supervision, as well as approval). You've spat in his face by going ahead and finding "a couple of new friends that are willing to spar". I'll put it this way… if one of my students blatantly went against my instructions like that, we would be finished. Instantly. With no going back.

Either get out of his school if you're going to ignore what he tells you, or do what he tells you to do and live with it. Right now, you're just an egotistical kid who can't get it through his head that he goes to his teacher to learn… which means following the instructions you're being given. You don't want to follow what you're told? Fine. But don't disrespect him by then pretending to be his student.

I'm fed up with this. You're a disrespectful punk. Grow up.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
The lesson he tried to get across was to not fight for stupid reasons. Example my uncle talking smack to me, that is a stupid reason. This is not a stupid thing and it is not anger driven, it's simply some friends that get together to spar once in awhile in a safe environment.

He won't have an issue with it. I in fact I even got my gi back recently and passed a belt test, so I'm moving up fairly quickly here which he is proud of.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The lesson he tried to get across was to not fight for stupid reasons. Example my uncle talking smack to me, that is a stupid reason. This is not a stupid thing and it is not anger driven, it's simply some friends that get together to spar once in awhile in a safe environment.

He won't have an issue with it. I in fact I even got my gi back recently and passed a belt test, so I'm moving up fairly quickly here which he is proud of.
So you've told him about it then?

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you've told him about it then?

When he asked me have you been fighting with anyone lately. I said no fighting, just a sparring match with some of my friends. He said what brought that on? I told him that it started out as a joke, which it did. My friend which we will call friend A jokingly said me and friend B should fight since we have all this sparring equipment because friend A bought them for a good deal.

Another friend of mine friens C (don't want to use their names) said I would obliterate him, Friend B laughed and said well I don't know bout obliderate. I said I won't fight anyone unless I have no choice, Friend A then said well ok, not fight but spar.

So we all agreed to spar and we went from acquaintances who simply worked out at the same gym, to friends. We all went to my place and sparred in the back yard where nothing stupid can happen. We then went out for some pizza afterward and talked about our goals. Friend B would like to get into boxing and friend A simply enjoys watching sports like ufc and boxing. Friend C thinks he is too small to fight and said he would like to but is not big enough. He is a about 5'6.

I think he still can since it goes by weight classes after all. Anyway he said that's fine because it wasn't about Ill will. I was given back my gi and took my belt test. I almost failed it because I am allowed only 2 mistakes on the techniques and the kata combined and I made 2 because my feet were a little off.

I then had to stand in a deep horse stance for 5 minutes. That was excruciating, within the first 2 minutes my legs were already on fire and by the third I was trembling. I somehow managed it and got the belt.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When he asked me have you been fighting with anyone lately. I said no fighting, just a sparring match with some of my friends. He said what brought that on? I told him that it started out as a joke, which it did. My friend which we will call friend A jokingly said me and friend B should fight since we have all this sparring equipment because friend A bought them for a good deal.

Another friend of mine friens C (don't want to use their names) said I would obliterate him, Friend B laughed and said well I don't know bout obliderate. I said I won't fight anyone unless I have no choice, Friend A then said well ok, not fight but spar.

So we all agreed to spar and we went from acquaintances who simply worked out at the same gym, to friends. We all went to my place and sparred in the back yard where nothing stupid can happen. We then went out for some pizza afterward and talked about our goals. Friend B would like to get into boxing and friend A simply enjoys watching sports like ufc and boxing. Friend C thinks he is too small to fight and said he would like to but is not big enough. He is a about 5'6.

I think he still can since it goes by weight classes after all. Anyway he said that's fine because it wasn't about Ill will. I was given back my gi and took my belt test. I almost failed it because I am allowed only 2 mistakes on the techniques and the kata combined and I made 2 because my feet were a little off.

I then had to stand in a deep horse stance for 5 minutes. That was excruciating, within the first 2 minutes my legs were already on fire and by the third I was trembling. I somehow managed it and got the belt.
Cool but just to warn you it may seem innocent but it easily get out of hand especially with a bunch of gym guys with training and probably got a bit of an ego and one wants to be a boxer. It's very easy to happen

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool but just to warn you it may seem innocent but it easily get out of hand especially with a bunch of gym guys with training and probably got a bit of an ego and one wants to be a boxer. It's very easy to happen

I'll look out for that. Thanks.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll look out for that. Thanks.
Yeah no worries I'm just trying to give advice I'm not telling you what to do like some certain members here who I do think are giving you to hard a time yeah you've done some dumb stuff and I've told you that but some people are seeming to be acting you've done something personal to them. Fact is I don't know you I can't tell you what to do I've got no right to do that and neither does anyone. And yeah I don't know those guys either they might be very decent guys but if an accident happens because it easily could **** happens then especially if it's on your property you could be liable and I don't know if you work or not but if it does go to far and the other guy turns it up and caused you an Injury you don't want to be going to work busted up

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah no worries I'm just trying to give advice I'm not telling you what to do like some certain members here who I do think are giving you to hard a time yeah you've done some dumb stuff and I've told you that but some people are seeming to be acting you've done something personal to them. Fact is I don't know you I can't tell you what to do I've got no right to do that and neither does anyone. And yeah I don't know those guys either they might be very decent guys but if an accident happens because it easily could **** happens then especially if it's on your property you could be liable and I don't know if you work or not but if it does go to far and the other guy turns it up and caused you an Injury you don't want to be going to work busted up

Everyone will have their opinions. I read them all and take them into consideration, if they are simply just insults though then those I pretty much laugh off. I work at a grocery store pretty much stocking shelves and moving boxes around in the back, I take inventory too and get yelled at in Chinese all the time.

It's part of the job I guess. It's own by a Chinese family, they speak English but all the profonity is spoken in Mandarin or Cantonese, not sure which one they are speaking. I gone to work busted up before a few times, bruises and stuff and swollen/bruised cheek bones. They show concern and I just tell them it was from karate.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Everyone will have their opinions. I read them all and take them into consideration, if they are simply just insults though then those I pretty much laugh off. I work at a grocery store pretty much stocking shelves and moving boxes around in the back, I take inventory too and get yelled at in Chinese all the time.

It's part of the job I guess. It's own by a Chinese family, they speak English but all the profonity is spoken in Mandarin or Cantonese, not sure which one they are speaking. I gone to work busted up before a few times, bruises and stuff and swollen/bruised cheek bones. They show concern and I just tell them it was from karate.

might not be profanity, might just be yelling, angry outbursts tend towards ones native langauge

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can try to type how it sounds, it might be difficult to decipher though for anyone who knows the language.

It's usually something like
Pong shiong. Gung shuo sudu gung kwai.

Might not help much but that's usually what's shouted on a couple of occasions.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friend B would like to get into boxing and friend A simply enjoys watching sports like ufc and boxing.

Please tell your 'friend' that the UFC is a registered business ( that has just been sold to a new owner) not a sport. I assume he means MMA, precision is everything.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please tell your 'friend' that the UFC is a registered business ( that has just been sold to a new owner) not a sport. I assume he means MMA, precision is everything.

Tell which friend? Dana White isn't the owner anymore? That can only mean good things though right?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell which friend? Dana White isn't the owner anymore? That can only mean good things though right?

Do you read what you write? Your friend in your quote. Dana White never owned the UFC, he's an employee and is staying on.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you read what you write? Your friend in your quote. Dana White never owned the UFC, he's an employee and is staying on.

There was friend A and Friend B. I didn't know that about Dana White, I thought he owned the franchise but I guess not.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ben Nguyen is 5'4.

Get better at horse stance. You should be able to do 5 minutes.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had worked out at the gym the previous day.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

No.

You joined his school, and wanted to spar, despite being told that you need to reach a certain rank before being allowed to. You whined and bitched so much your instructor made an exception for you (the first sign of your ego and lack of respect for your teacher and the school, wanting it to be about you not what they are giving you), and you injured a kid (the second sign of disrespect to your school and teacher).

Your third act of lack of respect, frankly, was coming onto the forum to complain about it.

From there, you've shown a pattern of thuggish behaviour, either starting confrontations, or being easily lead into them. These stories got worse, until they got back to your instructor, who tried to talk to you about it. You, in your own words, wouldn't even listen to him, instead continually talking over him (the fourth display of disrespect), leading him to try another way to get through to you by physical means (personally, I would have just kicked you out at that point, for the record). This amounted to you being (physically, but not mentally) humbled by him, and him getting you to agree to "never get in fights again unless my life depends on it. No sparring with idiots at the gym or in its parking lot, and no fights with relatives or anyone." In other words, don't fight in any way without his approval and knowledge.

Then we get to this thread, where you again engage in a "sparring match" with "idiots at the gym", whether it happened the way you say in your OP or not (continued disrespect… I really don't think the number of counts matter anymore), it was still a violation of your agreement with him. And now, you have found some "new friends" who you have arranged to have some sparring engagements with (more disrespect).

This is a stupid thing. You don't know what is or is not a "safe environment". You're too emotionally immature to be trusted in this regard. And you have shown nothing but disrespect to your school, your teacher, and more.

Grow up. And get out of your school. If all you want to do is spar, find a school that lets you. But frankly, I think you'd be best served by getting out of martial arts altogether… although I feel you're too ego-driven to even see any of this.

He won't have an issue with it??? So you are again admitting this is all being done behind his back?

How do you honestly feel your behaviour reflects on you?

When he asked me have you been fighting with anyone lately. I said no fighting, just a sparring match with some of my friends. He said what brought that on?

Do you understand what he was asking? And why?

I told him that it started out as a joke, which it did. My friend which we will call friend A jokingly said me and friend B should fight since we have all this sparring equipment because friend A bought them for a good deal.

So we all agreed to spar and we went from acquaintances who simply worked out at the same gym, to friends.

So you got easily goaded into breaking your word again? And feel it's okay, because now you're sparring with them, they're "friends"?!?

We all went to my place and sparred in the back yard where nothing stupid can happen.

Well, that's one of the most idiotic things you've said… nothing stupid can happen if it's in your backyard? What, is it all padded walls and marshmallows?

You do understand that you still don't really know these guys, they don't know you, and your entire history is of stupid things, no matter where you are?

We then went out for some pizza afterward and talked about our goals. Friend B would like to get into boxing and friend A simply enjoys watching sports like ufc and boxing. Friend C thinks he is too small to fight and said he would like to but is not big enough. He is a about 5'6.

I think he still can since it goes by weight classes after all.

Relevance? Or are you just saying that because you talked about your "goals", you're all friends now?

Anyway he said that's fine because it wasn't about Ill will.

It's his call if he wants to accept you breaking your word (again), but if I was in his position, I'd be pointing out that it's still about your ego, and you seem to have learnt nothing. I urge you to examine why you constantly find yourself in these situations… I mean, I've been involved in martial arts longer than you've been alive, and I don't have so many random people wanting to spar with me at all… and, on the rare occasions someone finds out what I do, and suggests it, I simply tell them I don't spar. That's it.

I was given back my gi and took my belt test. I almost failed it because I am allowed only 2 mistakes on the techniques and the kata combined and I made 2 because my feet were a little off.

Relevance?

And, frankly, what does that mean to us? You had to actually do something you found difficult… so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions