Did I pass up something good? Or was it a charlatan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love how you guys keep making assumptions about what happened. This could have been the case, but you don't know. We have no clue what might have happened, and if they were trying to con him, there is a large chance they would try to get him to do the 'fight'.
Hey maybe it did go down the way he said it did but these assumptions are based on other things ironbear has said himself.

He looks to prove his skill, he hates being thought of as a coward, he likes fighting and sparring.

So if some guys say he could be a great fighter and looks impressive and offers him a chance to spar a guy the same size as him then calls him a pussy when he says no plus its a public gym with lots of people there and probably some girls working out it's easy to make that assumption and again it's no disrespect intended but surely ironbear can see how people would think this way. Again that's a point everyone's been making as well you get a rep for fighting and causing trouble it's hard for people to give benefit of the doubt

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But ironbear man don't think I'm judging you because I don't know you apart from what you said here and yes you've done some stupid things and I'm not claiming to be a saint I got into a fight in high school which I probably could've avoided see one of my first posts on this board but I learnt from that and experience is the best sensai in life

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
If people don't believe me and thinks it's all bs I won't argue it. I can't really prove this happened or didn't happen, if people think I didn't try to avoid it, and went into it happily and willingly. I won't argue that either because again, nothing I can do to prove that is true or false.

All I really wanted to know was is that how things work with promoters? I have no experience with them at all and I am pretty much new to that sort of thing, it's because of that I wanted to get some experienced people opinions and from the looks of it.

I was in the right to walk away from it. I got all I needed from the thread so I think you for answering my question.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If people don't believe me and thinks it's all bs I won't argue it. I can't really prove this happened or didn't happen, if people think I didn't try to avoid it, and went into it happily and willingly. I won't argue that either because again, nothing I can do to prove that is true or false.

All I really wanted to know was is that how things work with promoters? I have no experience with them at all and I am pretty much new to that sort of thing, it's because of that I wanted to get some experienced people opinions and from the looks of it.

I was in the right to walk away from it. I got all I needed from the thread so I think you for answering my question.
Of course you were no promoter signs a guy based on how well he hits a bag or how he spars some punk and they don't hang out in gyms they may visit fight gyms or schools but not your regualr sport centre and they do not ask for 800 upfront and why would a promoter be hanging round with a gang of cronies

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Here promoters will ring up other gyms or just call out on facebook. Something like "want 50 kg girl to fight. Had five or less fights.

Or for boxing you just sign up with an organisation and turn up to events.

No real money. Mabye travel and a hotel.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think he is lying. I have had up and coming promoters ask me to fight, just because, I knew karate. He is a possible fighter. Had he talked longer, maybe this would not be so black or white.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, have you now quit going to your martial arts class? Wasn't it you that told your sifu that you wouldn't get in sparring matches at the gym anymore if he allowed you to continue training with him?

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, have you now quit going to your martial arts class? Wasn't it you that told your sifu that you wouldn't get in sparring matches at the gym anymore if he allowed you to continue training with him?

This didn't happen on purpose.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just be careful, bro.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ironbear you need to be mentally stronger and not let people "make you do stuff." Giving in to stuff like that is a sign of weakness and you'll end up with a reputation for being easily talked into doing stuff. It would have taken more strength to say no to these guys, than to give in to their taunts. The other thing is that you really need to stop letting non-fighters hype you up like that. Someone saying that you have good skills doesn't mean squat unless it comes from a professional trainer who trains fighters or your Sifu.

If someone off the street comes to me and tells me that I have skill then the first thing that should come out of my is a humble statement followed by "I'm not that good, I'm still a beginner in comparison to a lot of people out there." Until my Sifu or my fight trainer hypes me up then everything that comes out of my mouth about my skill level should be on the level of a beginner.

Some other guys looked impressed to complementing how far back the bag was going after hitting it a couple times.
You have been told many many times that the swing of the bag is an indication of poor punching technique and not power. If you took a baseball bat and hit that bag as hard as you can, the bag will not swing like it does when you punch it. When you punch a heavy bag with proper technique and good power then that bag will either jump or cave in, leaving an indentation. A real trainer or fight promoter isn't going to be impressed by how far a bag swings after you hit it. You can show your Sifu and he won't be impressed either.

I just don't know why you put so much value in how far a heavy bag swings after you hit it.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ironbear you need to be mentally stronger and not let people "make you do stuff." Giving in to stuff like that is a sign of weakness and you'll end up with a reputation for being easily talked into doing stuff. It would have taken more strength to say no to these guys, than to give in to their taunts. The other thing is that you really need to stop letting non-fighters hype you up like that. Someone saying that you have good skills doesn't mean squat unless it comes from a professional trainer who trains fighters or your Sifu.

If someone off the street comes to me and tells me that I have skill then the first thing that should come out of my is a humble statement followed by "I'm not that good, I'm still a beginner in comparison to a lot of people out there." Until my Sifu or my fight trainer hypes me up then everything that comes out of my mouth about my skill level should be on the level of a beginner.

You have been told many many times that the swing of the bag is an indication of poor punching technique and not power. If you took a baseball bat and hit that bag as hard as you can, the bag will not swing like it does when you punch it. When you punch a heavy bag with proper technique and good power then that bag will either jump or cave in, leaving an indentation. A real trainer or fight promoter isn't going to be impressed by how far a bag swings after you hit it. You can show your Sifu and he won't be impressed either.

I just don't know why you put so much value in how far a heavy bag swings after you hit it.

He told me today I have to stop chicken winging. That makes me use only my arm and chest to punch instead of my entire body.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a tough situation to be in, especially if what you say is true that they did indeed surround you and press-gang you into the fight. I probably would have done the same in your shoes as the chances of me getting beat up by a single person in a ring is a lot less than being beat up by 4-5 people surrounding me. Yes, there is always the chance of them just giving up and walking away, given that it's a public place, but quite frankly people are stupid and some will go at it even if loads of people are watching. Unfortunately for you, in that situation there is a risk no matter what you do. If you had stood there and done nothing, or tried to push past them when they surrounded you, there is the risk of them starting a fight where (unless they were completely incompetent) you would undoubtedly come out worse off. By comparison, the risk of getting injured or injuring another person in a controlled 1v1 ring fight are a lot less, so I think you did the right thing by accepting the fight once the option of walking away was passed.

What I would do is speak to whoever owns the gym and see if they know the guys who approached you. People like that generally have a rep and will try the same thing on other people if they get the chance. By alerting the people who own the gym you will possibly help other people who may be caught by the same group that approached you.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love how you guys keep making assumptions about what happened. This could have been the case, but you don't know. We have no clue what might have happened, and if they were trying to con him, there is a large chance they would try to get him to do the 'fight'.

We all make assumptions. Con artist or not noone can ever force you to fight at a public gym unless it is without attacking you unprovoked.

I was not saying Ironbear is lying, just simply saying that he was goaded into fight. Not put in a position where he was unable to leave but rather they stroke his ego in such a way he could not leave on his own accord. This is not intended as an insult but as something that could be another angle to the problem Ironbear saw, as such perhaps he can better understand how this can be avoided in the future.

After all **** happends, what is important is that we learn from it what we can. Just saying "oh lucky me" and then hope it never occurs ever again is not always a good way to live your life.

Now to a very important question, will you tell your sifu what happend?

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We all make assumptions. Con artist or not noone can ever force you to fight at a public gym unless it is without attacking you unprovoked.

There was no guarantee that the guys who approached Ironbear wouldn't have attacked and ganged up on him if he refused to fight or tried to push past them, even in a public place. The fact that they surrounded him when he tried to leave signals to me that they were going to make him fight regardless of what he wanted. In that respect it was safer to take the 1v1 fight in the ring than risk having to fight 1v4/5 whilst surrounded. That said, I would be curious to know exactly how busy the gym was at the time and if there was a member of staff nearby.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He told me today I have to stop chicken winging. That makes me use only my arm and chest to punch instead of my entire body.
Something that might help- practice a jab cross combination right next to a wall (so that your jab goes alongside the wall). It will become painfully obvious when you are or aren't chicken winging. When you get bored, turn around and do the same thing with the cross.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There was no guarantee that the guys who approached Ironbear wouldn't have attacked and ganged up on him if he refused to fight or tried to push past them, even in a public place. The fact that they surrounded him when he tried to leave signals to me that they were going to make him fight regardless of what he wanted. In that respect it was safer to take the 1v1 fight in the ring than risk having to fight 1v4/5 whilst surrounded. That said, I would be curious to know exactly how busy the gym was at the time and if there was a member of staff nearby.
I would assume there would've been a member of staff especially in a boxing area, any gym I've gone to that has a boxing area always has someone there because any ranom idiots could come in and spar and end up hurting each other and especially in a boxing area there could be a lot of ego trips there so I'd find it hard to believe there was no one else in that area either someone working out or a staff member

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would assume there would've been a member of staff especially in a boxing area, any gym I've gone to that has a boxing area always has someone there because any ranom idiots could come in and spar and end up hurting each other and especially in a boxing area there could be a lot of ego trips there so I'd find it hard to believe there was no one else in that area either someone working out or a staff member

You would think so, but would the guys who approached Ironbear be so bold and obtrusive if there were a member of staff around, or if there were lots of people nearby working out? My gut instinct says not.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You would think so, but would the guys who approached Ironbear be so bold and obtrusive if there were a member of staff around, or if there were lots of people nearby working out? My gut instinct says not.
That is true of course if ironbear statements are 100% accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions