DF: Overcoming Fear Of Injury/fear Of Failure

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Overcoming Fear Of Injury/fear Of Failure
By Hardball - Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:47:50 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

As many here know, I have been rehabbing my knee and training for my Nidan for almost 18 months now. I had to learn a two man judo kata and that went well. Now, my instructor wants me to compete in a tournament in two weeks. The tournament has three parts, Kata (demo), Seminar and Kumite (free fighting).

The problem is I do not like the rules for the Kumite. 1 point for a kick or punch and 2 points if you intiate grappling. ( go for a takedown). No strikes to the face allowed. ( I think)

If I go through with it, I may get promoted to Nidan but in the back of my mind there is the lingering thought of injury. For those of you who compete, how do you overcome this fear of injury? Also, how do you overcome the fear of possibly losing badly in front of a very large crowd?

I do have a strategy, I plan to use kicks and punches to soften up my opponent and to stay on my feet as long as possible.

I have really trained and prepared for this tournament but I aggravated an old inner thigh injury two weeks ago. Doc says it's not that bad, just take advil, ice it down, rest up and stretch.

I cannot afford an injury, I have a 8 week martial arts teaching contract that starts 4 days after the tourney. And it pays really good money

I thought that I was prepared and physically I am. But how do you overcome this fear of injury and fear of failure? My approach is to just keep practicing, block it out of my mind and meditate.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

www.tommycaro.com

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - JMA Feed

Latest Discussions