Desk jockeys

jimbo123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is for people who sit down a lot in their jobs or studies.

I know it's bad so roughly every 45mins to an hour I practise some kicks and circle steps to open up the hips. Does anyone do anything similar?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: I am afraid not as I don't fancy getting fired :lol:. I have to make do with a bit of stretching of the shoulders when they get tight and walking to other parts of the building rather than phoning or e-mailing the people I need to talk to.

OP
J

jimbo123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lol good point. Luckily for me my office was empty most of the time. But there were cameras.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
:chuckles: I am afraid not as I don't fancy getting fired :lol:. I have to make do with a bit of stretching of the shoulders when they get tight and walking to other parts of the building rather than phoning or e-mailing the people I need to talk to.

You think your bosses would actually have a problem with a little live blade Iido just to keep you limber?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe I should just reserve it for the period when pay rises are being considered :angel: :lol:.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is for people who sit down a lot in their jobs or studies.

I know it's bad so roughly every 45mins to an hour I practise some kicks and circle steps to open up the hips. Does anyone do anything similar?

NAH!!! I sit to close to the CIO, Network Admin and director of Finance to do that... although it may be worth a try to see the looks on their faces..... just before they call security :D

I do some chair yoga on occasion and I sometimes go into one of the server rooms and stretch or do part of a form...but generally I go for a nice walk

OP
J

jimbo123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
NAH!!! I sit to close to the CIO, Network Admin and director of Finance to do that... although it may be worth a try to see the looks on their faces..... just before they call security :D

I do some chair yoga on occasion and I sometimes go into one of the server rooms and stretch or do part of a form...but generally I go for a nice walk
Lol.

Luckily my manager is quite relaxed. Sometimes I even foam roll my back in his presence.

Rokuta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My office is too small for anything besides pushups or situps, although once I demonstrated a back bridge in the hallway to some coworkers. I don't think they were impressed. :) Mostly you just get up, talk to people, use the restroom, etc.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I practice my forms outside on breaks. Plus I do stretches at my desk...well, the kind that can't be noticed. One time I tried stretching my hamstrings by putting my foot on my desk and leaning forward. That got me some funny looks, so now I reserve it for breaks. LOL

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I take two 15 breaks and practice. I also exercise, climb several flights of stairs, and I can close my office door and engage in a session of Insanity if I so desire or if it's cold outside; otherwise we have a rather private outdoor area (for downtown) or basement where I have free range of motion for form, kata, and weapons. Most of my coworkers are also very active during breaks. Most of us (in my department) would rather eat at the desk when we don't have a break and save it for being active. We have asked for a gym, but the department spent the money on more junk food to eat :-/ Luckily, I'm in an area locked away from the, "Big" building and no one hardly bothers us, because they can't, so we make our own rules and try to be a happy, healthy group with veggie potlucks and tennis championships.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At one time I worked by myself in a locked office and would regularly work on stretching, form segments, pushups/situps, etc.... Now that I've moved offices I can't do that but I'll still try and get to the gym on base and do some stuff.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I usually get to get up and walk around, but if I can't I do stretching kicks in my office..

Yep. Back in the days when I worked for the Man and work a monkey suit to work, when I needed a quick break, I'd do a few kicks slowly with a focus on stretching the leg muscles as well as feeling the strain in my core area. Some people walked in on me from time to time, mostly my assistant, but it didn't look to out of place considering the speed and it was known that martial arts were an interest of mine.

Latest Discussions