Lesson plans

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Any experienced teachers out there got any lesson plans that they would share with me?

Got a 2 hour slot in a venue here with a bunch of friends. We need some structure in our class. No one person will take the class every week, we will rotate on a weekly basis.

We have all studied WC before and are at varying levels, lets say intermediate is an average.

Anything is good, PM if you dont want it published in here, also just things like '10 mins circle step drills' is ok. If you want to go into more detail that is fine too.

I am thinking that the first 1-1.5 hours would be warming up and drills etc etc, then the last half chi sau and forms.

Thanks in advance

Bully

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I usually do is warm them up by getting them to throw out some light single punches while stepping forward in their stance.
Then some pak sau and punches while moving forward in their stance , also some chain punching while moving forward in their stance.

Then some " bridging the gap " techniques like a low heel kick followed by three punches , snap kick to groin followed by three punches and medium heel kick followed by three punches done on both sides.

Should all be done in an easy relaxed manner with good form , just enough to get the blood pumping and a light sweat going.
Then finish with a few upper and lower body stretches , take about 10 mins for the warm up and stretches .

Next do the Sil Lim Tao form , take about 5 mins for that .
Then do chi sau for about 20 mins working on correctness or trapping techs and counters to trapping techs and maybe a bit of lap sau.
Make sure you rotate partners so every one gets a chance to do chi sau with every one else.

Then after that pick about five or six techniques , defences against various punches , kicks , grabs , or breaking through guards etc .
Do a quick demo of the technique , explain the main points then get them to break off and practice the technique for about 10 minutes.
And repeat for each technique.

My lessons based on an hour and a half, so usually in the last 15 or 20 mins we do chi sau sparring , get em to wear mouth guards cos dentists are expensive .
Or an alternative is to have them do power training if you have the equipment , make them line up in front of their respective partners who are holding a kick shield or focus mitt and have them execute the various strikes and kicks to your count , 10 reps each side then hand the pad over and let the partner have a go .

At various intervals during the power training get them to chain punch the shield at a moderate pace for about a minute then on your GO signal they are to move forward in their stance while punching as hard and as fast as they can for about 20 seconds until they have moved their partner almost into the wall.

You can mix it up with some push ups , crunches or punching in the air while in low horse stance if your feeling particularly nasty.
If you haven't got the equipment just make them do more techniques against each other to the count eg pak sau and punch versus boxers guard , jamming versus kick to groin , counter random straight punch , counter random circular punch etc.

Keep it like the power training , say 10 reps each side then give the other partner a go.
Yell out the count loud and clear and at a decent pace so they only just have time to get set again before executing the technique.

Hope this helps a bit.

OP
bully

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers Mook, great post as usual:supcool:

Will pass this on to the guy who has agreed to teach us, I'm just admin you see.

Did not know what Zhan Zhuang was Laoshi, so looked it up. Will research some more and try it.

Thanks guys.

Bully

Latest Discussions