Delete files, have bad day.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Had a small boo-boo today...had to share.

While trying to delete a directory for a dvd I had burned it seems that Winblows decided that I didn't want just that directory, but the whole drive deleted. So, 45 Gigs of data went to oblivion. Of course it asked the 'too big to stick in recycle bin' question, but it only looked like the 1 directory was selected.

Sigh. 3 hours later, thank gods for recovery software. Managed to save most of the data, but had a brief 'ho crap' time.

Heres a few tips:
- Get some good recovery software before you need it. I recomend Restorer2000 Pro.
- If you delete the files, whatever you do, do NOT save ANYthing new to that drive until you have tried recovery. If you save anything, you'll run the risk of overwriting the section of the drive where the info was.

Oh, and back up often. :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Had a small boo-boo today...had to share.

While trying to delete a directory for a dvd I had burned it seems that Winblows decided that I didn't want just that directory, but the whole drive deleted. So, 45 Gigs of data went to oblivion. Of course it asked the 'too big to stick in recycle bin' question, but it only looked like the 1 directory was selected.

Sigh. 3 hours later, thank gods for recovery software. Managed to save most of the data, but had a brief 'ho crap' time.

Heres a few tips:
- Get some good recovery software before you need it. I recomend Restorer2000 Pro.
- If you delete the files, whatever you do, do NOT save ANYthing new to that drive until you have tried recovery. If you save anything, you'll run the risk of overwriting the section of the drive where the info was.

Oh, and back up often. :)

Ho crap day? Hardly that I think it was more of a D'OH! day... hee hee... glad you were able to recover (most) of your stuff... I'd think I'd be crying buckets if it were my datum.... sheesh.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just had a drive die on me--it won't boot. The data is recoverable when it's slaved but it won't boot as a master. Very annoying! I'm working on my laptop now and don't like it.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
never had to recover a whole drive, but many cd's and zip disks have crapped out on me. I have used Bad Copy Pro and Recover My Files for data recovery, and Bad Copy Pro was the better of the two.

Latest Discussions