Defensive Driving Course

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever noticed how nauseatingly DULL this course is? Just a thought, in the form of a question.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh...you need to enroll in the one the Secret Service is offering then...

:D

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh...you need to enroll in the one the Secret Service is offering then...

:D

I would, but I think I am too old to join it. Hell, I am too old to join the FBI...even as just an office clerk!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try something like the Bondourant Racing School course. You'll learn more that's actually useful, and you'll have one hell of a good time doing it.
Or Skip Barber. That's another good one.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are actually several different driving courses available that cover some more "interesting" driving skills, ranging from stuff that is just a step or two beyond basic driver's ed and often just includes actually doing some of through race track driving classes, up to spy/cop/executive protection driving skills that are sometimes more like offensive driving than defensive driving :D.

Of course, if you're talking about the "I got a ticket & need driving school" type defensive driving classes... Yep. If most of those got any duller, there'd be deaths in the classroom.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are actually several different driving courses available that cover some more "interesting" driving skills, ranging from stuff that is just a step or two beyond basic driver's ed and often just includes actually doing some of through race track driving classes, up to spy/cop/executive protection driving skills that are sometimes more like offensive driving than defensive driving :D.

Of course, if you're talking about the "I got a ticket & need driving school" type defensive driving classes... Yep. If most of those got any duller, there'd be deaths in the classroom.

I'm not taking it for a ticket. The motive here is a reduction on my insurance. No tickets for years. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. And I was just thinking how lucky I'd been. It's finally been a year since my last ticket...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not taking it for a ticket. The motive here is a reduction on my insurance. No tickets for years. :)

They're still the same class... And I'm sure your insurance company doesn't want you taking some of the last classes I mentioned; they have a tendency to lead to bent metal and shattered plastic when used.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
They're still the same class... And I'm sure your insurance company doesn't want you taking some of the last classes I mentioned; they have a tendency to lead to bent metal and shattered plastic when used.

I know they are the same class. I was just clarifying WHY I am taking it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

But they also lead to a significant increase in your Smiles Per Gallon.

Mine has more power, but I will admit that I drove Bondurants Vette closer to the limits. I'd rather wreck theirs than mine. :)

In all seriousness, I think people would actually get more of an improvement in the safety of their driving from a good quality racing class (I've done both the ones I mentioned, and while both are good, I preferred Bondurant) than from the nonsense taught in the "defensive driving" courses.
America could learn a lesson from Europe. It costs a lot more to get a license in much of Europe, in part because people are required to take professional driving classes. Not the "how to parallel park" BS that passes for driver training in the US either. It's how to handle a car when things get... uncontrolled.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. The death rate per thousand miles driven on the Autobahn (where 100+ MPH speeds are the norm) is the same as it is in "OMG!!!! Yur gonna DIE!!!!!" America. Having spent a fair bit of time driving on both continents, I have to say that, on average, European drivers are much better than American.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I did Bill Scott Raceway...it was pretty good. they have different course packages

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
They REALLY need to streamline and reduce the length of this thing. Right now I am on a section called, "What is a bicycle lane?" Earlier there was, ""What is a stop sign?" Now really...if you don't know what those are, then you shouldn't even have a license.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They REALLY need to streamline and reduce the length of this thing. Right now I am on a section called, "What is a bicycle lane?" Earlier there was, ""What is a stop sign?" Now really...if you don't know what those are, then you shouldn't even have a license.
You don't really want my opinion as to why those subjects might be needed in that class...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You don't really want my opinion as to why those subjects might be needed in that class...

Thank you, gentlemen, for proving my point...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But they also lead to a significant increase in your Smiles Per Gallon.

Mine has more power, but I will admit that I drove Bondurants Vette closer to the limits. I'd rather wreck theirs than mine. :)

In all seriousness, I think people would actually get more of an improvement in the safety of their driving from a good quality racing class (I've done both the ones I mentioned, and while both are good, I preferred Bondurant) than from the nonsense taught in the "defensive driving" courses.
America could learn a lesson from Europe. It costs a lot more to get a license in much of Europe, in part because people are required to take professional driving classes. Not the "how to parallel park" BS that passes for driver training in the US either. It's how to handle a car when things get... uncontrolled.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. The death rate per thousand miles driven on the Autobahn (where 100+ MPH speeds are the norm) is the same as it is in "OMG!!!! Yur gonna DIE!!!!!" America. Having spent a fair bit of time driving on both continents, I have to say that, on average, European drivers are much better than American.

Never said that such training wasn't good to have. Training I got in the academy has saved my butt and my car on more than one occasion off the clock -- in fact, probably more off the clock than when I'm working. I'd love to see better driver training and testing. But I doubt it's going to happen...

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finally done! In 7-10 days, let the insurance savings begin!

Latest Discussions