TV Shows

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know top 10 lists are done to death, but I just thought it'd be a cool way to find out some of the interests of my fellow MT'ers. Top 10 favorite shows...not just ones running now, but of all time. Here are mine in no particular order:

Mystery Science Theater 3000
Law and Order
Law and Order: SVU
All in the Family
House MD
Big Bang Theory
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Night Court
Roseanne
Home Improvement

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just realized something: when it comes to the small screen, I like comedies but, when it comes to movies, I like horror and sci-fi. The darker the material, the more I like it. Weird. Maybe I just think the quality of horror/sci-fi shows isn't that good? Well, whatever the case, I am interested in everyone else's lists!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In no real particular order, but I have tried to timeline them. And yes my list starts as a youngster.

1) ST:OS
2) Bonanza
3) Rawhide
4) Doctor Who
5)Tour of Duty
6) Knight Rider
7 The Sweeny
8) ST: Deep Space 9
9) Farscape
10) Babylon 5

Most of the former is just because I grew up around farming grand parents so I liked the American western setting. The Sweeny because most UK TV then and now is *****. The last three due to the charisma brought to the small screen. Despite what the anal brigade would say otherwise, DS9 was the most balanced ST show IMO. Babylon 5 I wish JMS would relinquish the rights so a film could be made, and Farscape, well the Ozzies were the bad guys for a change lol. Okay one could argue that organic ships came from B5, but it was a cracking series and I am enjoying the re-runs.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forgive me for not knowing abbreviations (not much of a Trekkie), but is ST: OS Star Trek original series?

Also, one of the guys from my favorite show (Sheldon from BIG BANG) would have a lot to say for BABYLON 5 being on your list LOL.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of all time? Oh, man, this is going to be tough. It's also awesome! I'm a TV/movie freak. I'm gonna have to think on this for a bit. This is fun. :)

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game of thrones will have to be in there, will have to have a think as well. Doco series count?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
In no particular order:

M*A*S*H
Star Trek TNG
Big Bang Theory
Seinfeld
Supernatural
The Unit
Rockford Files
Barney Miller
Andy Griffith Show ( B&W only)
Quantum Leap

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive me for not knowing abbreviations (not much of a Trekkie), but is ST: OS Star Trek original series?

Also, one of the guys from my favorite show (Sheldon from BIG BANG) would have a lot to say for BABYLON 5 being on your list LOL.

Actually at first, I thought B5 was exciting, but ultimately a re-hash of DS9 (later to find out that a bit of a JMS conspiracy surrounds both shows) and stuck with it as it did seem fresh. The biggest thing that really drew me to it was the tech and science involved in making it. But yeah later on it held its own and became a very good, but a niche show. That is what I like about low to medium budget shows, people have to act. Well in my kind of warped view anyway :D

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually at first, I thought B5 was exciting, but ultimately a re-hash of DS9 (later to find out that a bit of a JMS conspiracy surrounds both shows) and stuck with it as it did seem fresh. The biggest thing that really drew me to it was the tech and science involved in making it. But yeah later on it held its own and became a very good, but a niche show. That is what I like about low to medium budget shows, people have to act. Well in my kind of warped view anyway :D

I wouldn't know...never watched it. My sci-fi show exposure is limited to some Star Trek original series, a little bit MORE of Star Trek: Next Generation, and whatever Twilight Zone episodes happened to have a sci-fi plot. For some reason on the small screen I am drawn to comedies more than sci-fi or anything else.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Some of my absolute favorites. A couple failed to make it to season 2... what does that say about me? :) Not sure if I can get to 10, but below are some of my all time favorites:

The Musketeers (a BBC show)
Firefly
Game of Thrones
Almost Human (cancelled :()
Orphan Black (currently in season 2)
Elementary
Friends (still funny in syndication)

Some shows I have really liked in the past, but haven't watched for years:

MASH
Hee Haw
Hill Street Blues
Barney Miller
Soap

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, I forgot about Barney Miller. An unusual show but, oddly enough, one that a lot of cops say is/was the most realistic cop show ever!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't know...never watched it. My sci-fi show exposure is limited to some Star Trek original series, a little bit MORE of Star Trek: Next Generation, and whatever Twilight Zone episodes happened to have a sci-fi plot. For some reason on the small screen I am drawn to comedies more than sci-fi or anything else.

Yeah admittedly, I did like watching Saturday Nigh Live. Always been a fan of American comedy. Probably would have been a yera behind you lot, but watching Richard Prior and co was a good nights TV. Was not a fan of ST:TNG, just wanted to shoot Troi lol. Twilight Zone, did you see the one with William Shatner? Clicky

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ere Steve, that the very recent Musketeers on the BBC? Yeah, very good, if not a little ponderous.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah admittedly, I did like watching Saturday Nigh Live. Always been a fan of American comedy. Probably would have been a yera behind you lot, but watching Richard Prior and co was a good nights TV. Was not a fan of ST:TNG, just wanted to shoot Troi lol. Twilight Zone, did you see the one with William Shatner? Clicky

I can't access that link (blocked at work), but I assume you are talking about the one that included in TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE. I thought that version was better, due in no small part to John Lithgow.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tough assignment for a tv guy like me.

Big Bang Theory - has become my favorite sit com of all time.

Soap - The Big Bang of it's day.

Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. - A lot of folks were conceived during this show.

Kung Fu - we used to rush home from the dojo to watch. Nearly the whole damn school.

All in the Family - epic and controversial.

60 minutes - been watching the damn thing since the sixties.

Hill Street Blues

5-0 The original. Like the new one, too, even if they jump the shark every week.

Deadwood

Jeopardy

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Richard Pryor on SNL??? I know he hosted back in the 70's, but he was never a regular.

Ere Steve, that the very recent Musketeers on the BBC? Yeah, very good, if not a little ponderous.
Ponderous... at times it takes itself a little too seriously, but the stories are great, the characters very well developed and the casting is excellent. And I get a kick out of Austin Powers as the King.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Word Association" with Pryor and Chevy Chase is one of the best sketches ever. And Pryor was a guest once or twice, but never a regular.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
"Word Association" with Pryor and Chevy Chase is one of the best sketches ever. And Pryor was a guest once or twice, but never a regular.
Not trying to nitpick. Just struck me as odd. That skit was great, but I wouldn't associate SNL with Pryor. Pryor was more known for his stand up and his collaborations with Gene Wilder, for me. It's all good. :)

When I think of SNL, I think of Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Belushi and Radner from the early era. Piscopo and Eddie Murphy, along with Martin Short, Dana Carvey and a slew of other remarkable cast members. I still watch SNL every week, even through the slumps. I was really sad to see Sandberg go. The Digital Shorts were genius.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay but I'm not the poster who seemed to imply Pryor was a regular on the show. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
chips has to be in there somewhere
grand designs :)
ncis
law and order
24hours in a&e
world rally championship
british touring car championship
british superbike championship