Defending the Centerline Elbow out

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
A quick example on how you can protect your centerline without putting your elbow on centerline.. I use the body line not the centerline which is a more relaxed and a natural way to move your shoulder joint.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When your opponent's left Fu Shou is on top of your right Tan Shou, how do you prevent him from using his left hand to grab on your right wrist?

When wrist grabbing happen in WC sticky hand, what will happen after that?

You may say that wrist grabbing is not allowed in WC sticky hand, But what if your opponent is not a WC guy?

Last edited:
OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
When your opponent's left Fu Shou is on top of your right Tan Shou, how do you prevent him from using his left hand to grab on your right wrist?

You may say that wrist grabbing is not allowed in WC sticky hand, But what if your opponent is not a WC guy?
its only a drill so she wont grab wrist but in chi sao practice it can happen. there are many things you can do agaist a wrist gab what i will do depends on how she grabs my wrist. what she is trying to do.. if she just grabs my wrist i dont care she has 1 less weapon i havwe to dwal with. I myself do a lot of gtappling in my chi sao so i feel very comfortable doing it. Wrist grabbing ias allound in my wing chun so are throws, my wing chun is a progessive art..so i welcome changes to it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Wrist grabbing is definitely "allowed" in chi sau, but if you're foolish enough to grab "one arm with two" (both of yours latched onto one of his) you will likely eat fist for dinner! In general, this discourages the practice. ;)

Of course, the exception is when you (the grappler) can use your grapple to unbalance and turn your opponent so he cannot hit you with his free arm. That can be a beautiful thing! :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is an example that when A grabs on B's wrist, A is 1 step ahead of B.

A is "ahead" only because B waits to fire his punch. B should be striking the instant A closes, and certainly by the moment A touches his arm. Moreover, in WC/WT, B would probably counter-grab A's wrist with his left hand as he strikes! I don't see this putting A ahead at all.

Significantly, they are not that unequal in the clip above since A does not grab B's arm with both hands ("two hands on one") as we were discussing before ....and which would put A at a greater disadvantage!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A is "ahead" only because B waits to fire his punch. B should be striking the instant A closes, and certainly by the moment A touches his arm. Moreover, in WC/WT, B would probably counter-grab A's wrist with his left hand as he strikes! In either case, I don't see A being ahead at all.

Significantly, they are not that unequal in the clip above since A does not attack by grab B's arm with both hands ("two hands on one") as we were discussing before ....and which would put A at a greater disadvantage. In that case I'd put all my money on B! ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
since A does not grab B's arm with both hands ("two hands on one") as we were discussing before ....and which would put A at a greater disadvantage!
Here are A grab B's arm with both hands.

Brendan-switch-hand-1.gif

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here are A grab B's arm with both hands.

View attachment 27472

Two excellent video clips dealing with this topic!

In the top clip (gif), The fighter in red (you?) appears to be grappling Brendan Lai (?) by the wrist and elbow. Lai Sifu immediately relieves the pressure and dissolves the grip by stepping and simultaneously snapping his arm straight downward. This is nearly identical to an arm freeing movement taught to us by Sifu Leung Ting to deal with an upward elbow grapple ...except for a few minor differences (since it was taught in a Wing Tsun context). At close range it also functions as a "shoulder punch" that is quite powerful. And it works precisely because our opponent is trying to grab us with "two arms on one".

The second video is also very similar to an attack leading to a sweep and throw taught to us by Leung Sifu, one of my favorites in fact. I would not say that it violates the general rule against "two hands on one" though because:

A. You enter trading off hands in a quick 1-2 movement that does not simultaneously tie up both your hands, and...

B. You apply pressure turning your opponent to the left and away from you so he cannot punch you with his other arm.

Finally, we have to acknowledge that all rules have exceptions. The same goes for not grabbing with "two hands on one" ...since this is precisely what we do with the double grappling hands movement in the Biu Tze form. But it is important to note that it is applied in ways that either off-balance, turn the opponent aside, or swing him in such a fashion that he cannot bring his other hand into play.

Actually you have another gif somewhere of you (in the same faded red shorts) applying a very similar movement to this, swinging your student in a circle. It looked a lot like what we trained. Maybe there is more in common between the different Chinese Martial Arts than my old sifu would care to admit??? ...That could be bad for business! ;)