Defence against chain punching

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many Jeet Kune Do branches make use of the chain punch also, and sometimes in a more running-forward manner. There are a lot of places to look for ideas for counters--a JKD person from some lineages might say, try to duck under and shoot a tackle--but fewer if we're talking about traditional WC defenses.

My belief is that in martial arts it's usually paper-scissors rock--A beats B, B beats C, and C beats A--for both people and systems. I'd look inside the box for WC answers and outside the box for other answers. I know people who'd just fall or turn into handstand and kick you as they do it. That isn't in my repertoire, but I'd sure watch a WC vs. Capoeira match!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since to "use circular to defeat linear" is the best solution ...WC guys don't train "circular" approach.

....Will you be able to find such principle in the WC system? I truly don't think so.

Kung Fu Wang: Wing Chun has both lines and circles. Very small, efficient ones. It has been said that a circle shrunken infinitely becomes a point, which is also a section of a line. Like yin and yang, each contains the essence of its opposite. There is much more to Wing Chun than meets the eye. Dissolving a "straight blast" or "chain punching" included.

For example, WC's "chain punches" actually circle over the top in an elongated oval. Biu-Tze teaches how to defeat that movement by shooting out biu-tze say circling in reverse, from bottom to top. There are many ways to defeat "chain punching" in WC. In fact it is something we contend with on a daily basis. Forgive me but it sounds like your knowledge of Wing Chun/Wing Tsun is superficial. What is your WC experience?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wing Chun has both lines and circles. Very small, efficient ones. It has been said that a circle shrunken infinitely becomes a point, which is also a section of a line...

Could you show with a clip? I'm not very good in abstraction. :uhyeah:

What is your WC experience?

WC is one of my cross training systems since 1973.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
WC is one of my cross training systems since 1973.
I became interested in it at about the same time. I can thank Bruce Lee for that. But my first exposure to kung fu was in a mixed animal style system I would now describe as "chop suey" I didn't begin training WC till '79 and met my main sifu in '80.

Sorry about being too abstract for you. With all that talk about circles and lines and clips of spear fighting, I thought that was your cup of tea. Anyway, I don't have a clip for you. But if you have several decades of experience cross-training in WC, you will recognize how a line merges with a circle if you consider how, when confronted with greater force, a linear front punch can bend and roll over into bong-say, dissolving the attack with a rotational i.e. circular energy.

Regardless of all that, if we return to the OP, There are a lot of non-abstract and non WC ways to deal with a "chain-punching" charge. If you don't like turning or off-lining to deflect the assault laterally, how about changing levels, dropping under and shooting a take-down? If you time it right and do it hard and fast enough, there's little time for the puncher to respond effectively.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun has both lines and circles. Very small, efficient ones. It has been said that a circle shrunken infinitely becomes a point, which is also a section of a line. Like yin and yang, each contains the essence of its opposite. There is much more to Wing Chun than meets the eye. Dissolving a "straight blast" or "chain punching" included.

Very well said!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a surprising amount of variety in how WC is actually done, despite the styles all sharing a common set of base moves.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a surprising amount of variety in how WC is actually done, despite the styles all sharing a common set of base moves.

Absolutely.

...And in my opinion that's a good thing. Yesterday I just finished a two day seminar with my original FMA instructor, GM Rene Latosa. Afterwards, we had an interesting discussion about how members of our group have different core arts ranging from boxing to ju-jutsu to kenp to Wing Chun, and so on. And each of us uses Escrima concepts in our fighting. So my WC/WT/VT although consistent with WC theory, is also informed by FMA and other stuff. Somebody else's may have a different flavor. Call me a heretic, but I'm good with that.

OP
J

Jean Marais

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Great thread. Both liberal and conservative view points can enrich us. All responses are welcome (as well as critisisms). We don't have to agree (if we all agreed there would be no improvement).

Latest Discussions