Death By Firing Squad

I dont believe in the death penalty for the simple fact of weird logic: You're trying to get people not to kill/teach that killing is wrong by - wait for it - killing people.

That's not true. You're trying to get people to believe that murder is wrong by killing people.

Remember, some people jus' need killin'. It's even in the Old Testament.

That's not true. You're trying to get people to believe that murder is wrong by killing people.

This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys. (1st Sam 15:2-3)

There is lots of violence, rape, and worse things in the old testament. It's hardly a reference on proper and respectful behavior. :)

This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys. (1st Sam 15:2-3)

There is lots of violence, rape, and worse things in the old testament. It's hardly a reference on proper and respectful behavior. :)

Exactly and a lot of wise people have spent a lot of time since making the Law civilised and up to date but still many people prefer to believe that the old words are the ones they prefer as they think it justifies whatever they want to do.

Exactly and a lot of wise people have spent a lot of time since making the Law civilised and up to date but still many people prefer to believe that the old words are the ones they prefer as they think it justifies whatever they want to do.

I can see I need to work on my comedian ability.

Even still, my point stands. We execute people to show that murder is wrong, not that killing is wrong.

Even still, my point stands. We execute people to show that murder is wrong, not that killing is wrong.

Ah, well a regular dose of emoticons can work wonders :)

That said, I don't think it is unfair to call a wrongful execution 'murder'. Since wrongful executions do happen, what to do with the jurors, DA, and the executioners? that would make them guilty of conspiracy to commit murder, and murder. Especially the people involved in performing the actual execution are guilty of committing murder because the state said it's ok.

Capital punishment should be mandatory in those cases. Not doing that is the same as saying that the difference between killing and murder is an arbitrary decision on the part of the state, and that as long as the state says it's ok, killing is not murder.

And since 'the state' in this case boils down to a dozen (ish) people who need to agree, you basically have a system in which a handful of people can legally decide that killing someone is not murder, even if, in hindsight, they made the wrong decision. In other words, murder is only wrong if someone else is doing it. If the state does it, it's not murder, even if the same actions (conspiracy to commit murder because they think they have a good reason) would put anyone else in the seat of the defendant.

It's the wrongful convictions that make me stand against the death penalty. If you could come up with a guaranteed, incorruptible way of ascertaining guilt, then I could perhaps change my mind. But since that is not going to happen any time soon, I am not going to be blase about throwing away innocent lives just to make sure that the really bad ones get to see their maker rather sooner than expected. Let God sort them out; not us.

Touche. and i take your point. Even so, I took your post as a funny little bit of sarcasm. Do you also attend sarcasm university with Bob Hubbard? :p

Touche. and i take your point. Even so, I took your post as a funny little bit of sarcasm. Do you also attend sarcasm university with Bob Hubbard? :p

I think Transatlantic sarcasm is a tad different from ours! I saw it more as a straight comment, our sarcasm tends to be ironic, amusing and far more scathing lol!

Latest Discussions

Back